BYD opens first EV plant in Thailand, producing eight millionth car

25 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

If you have the information, details on salary paid by Japanese factories vs. salary paid by BYD, please do post.

Otherwise, your comment can be summed up as "China bad."

I do 

My Chinese wife works for Japanese not Chinese. Wonder why

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Purdey said:

Not bashing. It became normal for Thais to screwdriver foreign parts together. I have yet to read of a Thai engineer designing a car. Perhaps you can name the Thai brand.

Many types of engineers are involved in automotive design and manufacturing, and their tasks overlap with many industries.

Structural engineers optimize the body design, and can as easily move to a job in aircraft manufacture or even high-rise and bridge design.

Mechanical engineering is the most general field. They specialize in thermal sciences (heat transfer, fluid flow, combustion), which overlaps with chemical engineering, but also work on structures and mechanical design, electronics in instrumentation and control systems, and electrical power components (motors, generators, …).

There are special Manufacturing Engineers, Automotive Engineers, and Industrial Engineers which overlaps with MBA subjects.

Many Thai's have degrees in these engineering fields, Automakers in Thailand employ thousands of them !

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Celsius said:

Hilarious comment. Do you think Chinese will pay anything close to what Japanese paid their Thai factory workers?

China has little to no say in what their employees in Thailand will earn, Unions and the Thai Labor dept sort all that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

China has little to no say in what their employees in Thailand will earn, Unions and the Thai Labor dept sort all that.

Let's see because workers in Japanese factories would often get end of year  3-6 months salary bonus.

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Let's see because workers in Japanese factories would often get end of year  3-6 months salary bonus.

And so will BYD employees.

FWIW, there are no japanese factories in Thailand. there are thailand companies that have japanese parent companies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

And so will BYD employees.

FWIW, there are no japanese factories in Thailand. there are thailand companies that have japanese parent companies.

Yokohoma, NTN bearings, Koyo, Bridgestone, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic and many others. 

Samut Prakan is full of Japanese factories, so what are you on about?

Edited by Celsius

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yokohoma, NTN bearings, Koyo, Bridgestone and many others. 

Yes, they are japapnrse parent companies that have Thai companies... thanks for confirming my previous post.

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Thank you for the informative response detailing the difference between salaries and benefits at Japanese vs. Chinese vehicle factories in Thailand.

China bad!

Yeah, his Chinese wife chose not to work for the Chinese car factories that didn't exist and instead went to work for the Japanese ones that have existed for decades.

China bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2024 at 9:07 PM, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, his Chinese wife chose not to work for the Chinese car factories that didn't exist and instead went to work for the Japanese ones that have existed for decades.

China bad.

Nowadays I think we have come way past that stage where we must mention ones Race .

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

On 7/5/2024 at 3:19 PM, Purdey said:

So it is a screwdriver assembly factory and none of the parts are actually made in Thailand. Is that right?

"The manufacturing process encompasses four main stages: stamping, welding, painting, and assembly"

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Such as?

Haven't you seen that buying many things here there's no warranty  and if there's a warranty one can't get it when something goes wrong .

Go buy some electric appliance and try to claim on it they will find any excuse not to uphold the warranty. I've experienced this with my Thai Family in Makro and one time when they bought a used car .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Haven't you seen that buying many things here there's no warranty  and if there's a warranty one can't get it when something goes wrong .

Go buy some electric appliance and try to claim on it they will find any excuse not to uphold the warranty. I've experienced this with my Thai Family in Makro and one time when they bought a used car .

Never ever had a problem getting something repaired or replaced under warranty, ever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, digger70 said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Such as?

No, I haven't; this thread, and your comment, is about EVs, so how does your criticism relate to those?

"Seats

Steering System

Windshield / Window glassses.

Display panel

Wiring harness

Suspension (front and rear)

Radiator

Starter Motor / Power window motors

Wipers

Headlight, Tail lamp, Indicater lamp assembly

Wheel Rims

Tyres

Plastic items like Centre console, interior body and door trims.

Break system

Media / Music system

Door Sealing

Fuel tank, wiper water tank, coolant tank

Horn system

Airbags

Air Conditioning System"

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I haven't; this thread, and your comment, is about EVs, so how does your criticism relate to those?

The  Talk about Warranty.

Is that ok with you?

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Not according to BYD

Currently, BYD's factory is preparing to use more than 40 percent of domestic parts from various parts manufacturers in Thailand

https://www.thaipr.net/business/3473532

Of course, which car manufacturer today still works without a supplier industry? The crucial thing is that this happens with domestic companies, otherwise there will be punitive tariffs.

10 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Of course, which car manufacturer today still works without a supplier industry? The crucial thing is that this happens with domestic companies, otherwise there will be punitive tariffs.

The minimum 40% local content figure is required if BYD want to export 

f a Chinese car meets the 40% local content requirement and is certified as originating from Thailand, it will be exported within and outside the ASEAN region through the ASEAN FTA network.

https://www.thinkchina.sg/economy/made-thailand-chinese-evs-could-fill-auto-market

Toyota Thailand local content figure is 93%

Soon we were exporting models built entirely in Thailand like the Hilux Vigo and the Fortuner. To date over 7 million IMV based vehicles have been built in Thailand with over 4 million units exported to 124 countries around the world. The IMV project also helped us create a new supply chain here in Thailand increasing our network of local suppliers by 41%, as the production of 2,000 parts were transferred from Japan to Thailand increasing total local content from 60% to 93%

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/38421226.html

So 40% local content is an entry level for exports through the ASEAN FTA network

• Thanks 2