George Galloway Loses Rochdale Seat, Neil Kinnock Celebrates, Calls Him 'Repulsive Cancer'

image.png.1835580646db2e4eadc4b8b5ae0d878c.png

Veteran left-wing politician George Galloway has lost his Rochdale seat just five months after winning it in a by-election, with Labour grandee Neil Kinnock harshly condemning him as a "repulsive cancer." Galloway, the leader of the Workers Party of Britain, did not attend the count in Rochdale, where he received 11,508 votes, falling short of Labour's Paul Waugh, who secured victory with 13,047 votes.

This defeat marks a swift downfall for Galloway, who had won the seat in a February by-election, overturning a Labour majority of 9,668. As the news broke, former Labour leader Lord Kinnock expressed his satisfaction, telling the BBC, "I am delighted. He is repulsive. Galloway is repulsive. He always has been." Kinnock, who led the Labour Party from 1983 to 1992, added, "I have known him since 1983 and he is repellent. He is such a cancer, he's so superficial."

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham echoed these sentiments, stating that communities would be "glad to see the back" of Galloway. Despite not being present at the count, Galloway took to social media platform X to thank his supporters and campaign team, writing, "I thank the people of Rochdale who gave me 54 sitting days in the last parliament as their MP. Big thanks to my agent, my campaign team, and the thousands who voted for me today. We took the government party to within 1,500 votes and serve notice on Labour that we are here to stay in Rochdale. We will field a full slate of council candidates, establish a full-time office there, campaign to re-open the maternity ward and A&E, and keep up the pressure on Labour in the town."

During his by-election campaign, Galloway had criticized Labour for supporting Israel in its conflict against Hamas. However, this time he lost to Paul Waugh, a former political journalist who has previously worked for Britain's Independent and Evening Standard newspapers and who grew up in Rochdale.

Galloway, 69, is no stranger to controversy. A former Labour parliamentarian, he was expelled from the party in 2003 for criticizing then-Prime Minister Tony Blair over the Iraq war. By that time, he had already drawn criticism for meeting Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in 1994 and praising him with, "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability." Galloway's fame peaked in 2006 when he impersonated a cat on a reality television show.

Returning to Westminster as a representative of his third different political party, the Workers Party of Britain, Galloway had previously been both a Labour and Respect MP. His loss in Rochdale is yet another victory for Sir Keir Starmer, who is predicted to become Prime Minister according to recent exit polls.

Credit: Daily Mail 2024-07-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the sentiment but the delivery is beneath someone who was once a contender for Prime Minister.

That said, I hope Galloway disappears from public life for good. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

He destroyed his credibility years ago by a) appearing on reality TV and b) doing so in a pink catsuit.

( My eyes! My eyes! )

I do agree that was absurd

17 hours ago, transam said:

I just knew you would support the nutter, peas in a pod....

But, great news, he has been dumped....:intheclub:

He still got a substantial vote, but it is what it is.

I support Reform, not Galloway's party. 

18 hours ago, retarius said:

Say what you like he was right about the Iraq war (one of the few).....or do you think the Iraq war was good for Britain? 

He's also right about Israel and Russia, as history will tell us. 

Exactly.

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

He still got a substantial vote, but it is what it is.

I support Reform, not Galloway's party. 

Didn't you know there is a Communist Party running............😱

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Didn't you know there is a Communist Party running............😱

I did, but as I am not a communist, they have no interest for me at all. Maybe a fascist party is more to your liking for yourself? 

35 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I did, but as I am not a communist, they have no interest for me at all. Maybe a fascist party is more to your liking for yourself? 

Nooo, not me, but as you support land grab aggressors, you have the choice of the two....😬

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

Nooo, not me, but as you support land grab aggressors, you have the choice of the two....😬

Ah, life is so simplistic when you can place those who disagree with you into two very different boxes. Ignorance is Bliss - Buddha.

14 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Ah, life is so simplistic when you can place those who disagree with you into two very different boxes. Ignorance is Bliss - Buddha.

Says the guy who supports Russia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Says the guy who supports Russia.

I support peace. I love Russia, it is true, but obviously, not everything the Russian government does. At least I have been there. You are just fixated on MAGA.

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I support peace. I love Russia, it is true, but obviously, not everything the Russian government does. At least I have been there. You are just fixated on MAGA.

What don't you love that the Russia government does?  Here's your big chance, Bob, to finally give your public persona a veneer of morality.  As someone who has on principle decried other countries interfering in the affairs of others, "Invading them repeatedly causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands" should be #1.

P.S. Bob, I lived there for years.  We already went through this.  And I have literally never commented on MAGA in ASEAN Now, so as usual, your comment has a "cloud cuckoo land" aura about it.

38 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

What don't you love that the Russia government does?  Here's your big chance, Bob, to finally give your public persona a veneer of morality.  As someone who has on principle decried other countries interfering in the affairs of others, "Invading them repeatedly causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands" should be #1.

P.S. Bob, I lived there for years.  We already went through this.  And I have literally never commented on MAGA in ASEAN Now, so as usual, your comment has a "cloud cuckoo land" aura about it.

I support the USA ending its continual proxy wars around the globe - including Ukraine. I do not support the suppression of the freedom of the press in Russia or the West. I do, however, support the right of citizens to vote for who they wish - even if, God help us, it is Dementia Joe or Putin. My stance is clear - it is NOT Europe or the USA's business in Ukraine. That does not mean I like war - I loathe it.

This has been going on since 2014, and I lay the blame squarely at the USAs murky door. Unfortunately, Russia was forced into action - Feb 2022 there was hope - Boris the Novice put paid to that. Stop hiding from the obvious truth that this is a PROXY war.

10 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I support the USA ending its continual proxy wars around the globe - including Ukraine. I do not support the suppression of the freedom of the press in Russia or the West. I do, however, support the right of citizens to vote for who they wish - even if, God help us, it is Dementia Joe or Putin. My stance is clear - it is NOT Europe or the USA's business in Ukraine. That does not mean I like war - I loathe it.

This has been going on since 2014, and I lay the blame squarely at the USAs murky door. Unfortunately, Russia was forced into action - Feb 2022 there was hope - Boris the Novice put paid to that. Stop hiding from the obvious truth that this is a PROXY war.

You absolutely live in an amoral, hypocritical dream world.  RUSSIA INVADED UKRAINE -- NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.  It is in the United States' and Europe's interests to see Russia fail, or pay as high a price as possible if they manage to keep something.  That is NOT what a proxy war is.  You keep repeating the same lies "BORIS DID IT!  ALBRIGHT DID IT! NULAND DID!  PROXY WAR!  PROXY WAR!"  My God -- Dementia Joe is joined by Dementia Bob.

Putin and Putin alone invaded Ukraine.  He had many options to try and expand his empire and he chose war.

Wow, your sole criticism of Russia is that freedom of speech is "suppressed" -- and then say conditions are the same in the West.  That's all you've got -- a single watered down criticism followed by a false equivalency?

18 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

You absolutely live in an amoral, hypocritical dream world.  RUSSIA INVADED UKRAINE -- NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.  It is in the United States' and Europe's interests to see Russia fail, or pay as high a price as possible if they manage to keep something.  That is NOT what a proxy war is.  You keep repeating the same lies "BORIS DID IT!  ALBRIGHT DID IT! NULAND DID!  PROXY WAR!  PROXY WAR!"  My God -- Dementia Joe is joined by Dementia Bob.

Putin and Putin alone invaded Ukraine.  He had many options to try and expand his empire and he chose war.

Wow, your sole criticism of Russia is that freedom of speech is "suppressed" -- and then say conditions are the same in the West.  That's all you've got -- a single watered down criticism followed by a false equivalency?

There you go again...  ignoring the obvious. How about the USA invaded Iraq?  Afghanistan? - they were moral wars, were they?

Hypocrisy at its finest, my dear old confused Chicagoexpat

17 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

There you go again...  ignoring the obvious. How about the USA invaded Iraq?  Afghanistan? - they were moral wars, were they?

Hypocrisy at its finest, my dear old confused Chicagoexpat

No, it's not hypocrisy at all, because I've never defended those wars.  And I wouldn't, especially Iraq.

So there you go, old shoe, on the short end of the stick again.  So feel free to denounce Russia's completely voluntary and unnecessary war of choice, Mr. Peacelover.

Your soul will thank you for relieving it of the burden of cheering on hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

3 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

No, it's not hypocrisy at all, because I've never defended those wars.  And I wouldn't, especially Iraq.

So there you go, old shoe, on the short end of the stick again.  So feel free to denounce Russia's completely voluntary and unnecessary war of choice, Mr. Peacelover.

Your soul will thank you for relieving it of the burden of cheering on hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

I'm glad to hear about your view of Iraq plus all the other American interventionist wars.  Vietnam?  Syria?  Gaza and... drum roll... Ukraine. Oh, I forgot you like that one.

12 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I'm glad to hear about your view of Iraq plus all the other American interventionist wars.  Vietnam?  Syria?  Gaza and... drum roll... Ukraine. Oh, I forgot you like that one.

Your turn, Bob.  Tell us how you oppose Russia's invasion.

5 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Your turn, Bob.  Tell us how you oppose Russia's invasion.

I was waiting for you to answer - for once! You are the deflection king here - I oppose USAs proxy war in Ukraine and I wish Russia had never invaded but they had little choice.