What Aircon Unit Would You Suggest.

jasreeve17

Currently I have a couple of LG's - small jetcool units that were about 18k each. I don't like them because they are noisy and provide an inconsistent cool.

I am moving to a new condo and want two units:-

1) One for a 27 sqM living room.

2) One for the the second bedroom, about 12 sqM.

I am reckoning on a couple of Mitsubishi units, the little wall mounted unit (it's about 17k) and the next one up (which is about 21k).

Does anybody have these units, or suggest any others?

I'm also going to get a hot shower unit and was thinking of a 4.5Kw AIG unit (German quality). Any suggestions?

I appreciate any advice.

I do not suppose that there is anything inferior with Misubishi but I have always gone for Daikin myself. Their units are very quiet or I am deaf. Not quite figured that one out yet. :o

How may BTU's are you getting for the two different units?

Edit: Sid Leksic.

Edited by Chopper

Emperor & Chopper, thanks for your replies.

I'm thinking about 9,000 btu for the small room and 11,000 btu for the bigger (but still smallish) room.

A quiet unit is very important for me. Also, I want a unit that is consistent. My current LG's are 11,000 btu in a 25sqM room, and are on / off / on / off / on / off / too hot / too cool / too hot too cool / etc.

I like the "sound" of the Daikin if it's very quiet.

Thanks again.

I am no expert but you may find slighty more BTU's for the 27 sq./m room might be better. Though any Air Con engineer worth his salt will be able to advise better than me.

Daikin do a 'whisper model', I have found these to be both very reliable and extremely quiet.

I have Saijos in the living room and my daughters room, very quiet and work well. In the master bedroom I have an LG which is also excellent.

Thanks Mr Toad. What LG do you have, as I find these really noisy, although mine are cheapos...

I have no idea what model it is, I can't seem to find the handbook for it mrstoad has been tidying again. It's a Jetcool something or another, it is one of the bigger units.

Edited by mrtoad

Mmmm, Maybe I should spend a bit more money (another 5k per unit) and get the bigger ones. Perhaps less stress equals less noise for the aircon. Kinda makes sense if the motor is pretty quiet.

Thanks again for your advice.

And a shower unit?

One word: Mitsubishi.

They're beyond quiet and cool brilliantly. Also last very long.

As or BTU, keep in mind it's not just the size of the room but also how hot the room gets, i.e. how hard it has to work; If it's a room that gets a lot of direct afternoon sun then you would need more power compared to a more shaded/cooler area.

In my house I have Mitsubishi units for all rooms where we use aircon the most. The other areas (guest rooms especially) got cheapo Hitachi units that are noisy as hel_l, and then there's one Daikin unit that just doesn't work very well and broke down a lot when we were still using it frequently.

M I T S U B I S H I !

I Bought 3 LG units, they have a service department in my area, the sanyo ones didnt but were cheaper, the LG's work well and are quiet

Toshiba ones are overpriced and not any better than the others

15 Daikins in my home. experience exactly one year. performance impeccable. on highest fan speed noise level too high. total six fan speeds. on the lower three (especially the lowest one) very quiet.

I'm planning on doing some extensive re-building of a house in the Kalasin area, and want to install some units in the ceiling (those that are kind of flush with the ceiling, not any kind of wall mounting). Never see them in the showrooms though.

Any experience on where to get something like that? Or if they are more expensive than the more conventional kind.

I'm planning on doing some extensive re-building of a house in the Kalasin area, and want to install some units in the ceiling (those that are kind of flush with the ceiling, not any kind of wall mounting). Never see them in the showrooms though.

Any experience on where to get something like that? Or if they are more expensive than the more conventional kind.

different brands available. cost is more than double than wall-mounted units. in high rooms less efficient than lower mounted wall units. more difficult to access and clean filter. looks of course much nicer and gives the impression of central airconditioning.

One word: Mitsubishi.

They're beyond quiet and cool brilliantly. Also last very long.

As or BTU, keep in mind it's not just the size of the room but also how hot the room gets, i.e. how hard it has to work; If it's a room that gets a lot of direct afternoon sun then you would need more power compared to a more shaded/cooler area.

In my house I have Mitsubishi units for all rooms where we use aircon the most. The other areas (guest rooms especially) got cheapo Hitachi units that are noisy as hel_l, and then there's one Daikin unit that just doesn't work very well and broke down a lot when we were still using it frequently.

M I T S U B I S H I !

I have a large ( very large ) number of Mitsubishi units in my new house and they are fantastic. However, remember there are two types of Mitsubishi. You need the Mitsubishi ELECTRIC for the higher class, great service models.

For those who don't purchase air con units "often" here's a helpful chart:

http://www.wpcoe.com/btu.gif

For us, we use Mitsubishi and Saijo Denki (with each house using the same brand units but not neccessarily the same size for each room, for the entire house). I don't know the exact numbers, but we likely own a few dozen of each across the immediate family. Keep'em well maintained* and you probably won't have a problem with any major brand: Mitsubishi, Saijo Denki, Carrier, Daikin, Central Air... not sure how I feel yet about LG and Panasonic as they are still relatively new to the game, although I do see a lot of our home buyers opt for them.

:o

*regular cleaning, keeping the coolant topped up, and excercising the units in the unused rooms of your house. They are like cars, you don't want to have them sitting around too long not running. We have a schedule for housekeeping of 25 minutes 'on' twice a week for each unit in all unused or lesser used rooms.

Edited by Heng

"keeping the coolant topped up"

...is in most cases nothing else but b-s*ting the client and making money for nothing. if the unit is properly installed then there is no such thing like loss of refrigerant for a decade or more.

that does not apply for most car aircon systems where connections are flexible and subject to high vibrations as well as shocks.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I'm going to check out the Mitsubishi, Daikin and Saijo Denki units in more detail today at HomePro chit Lom (has lots of stuff).

By the look of Heng's chart I need to get the next size up from my original plan, so thanks for that. :o

...is in most cases nothing else but b-s*ting the client and making money for nothing. if the unit is properly installed then there is no such thing like loss of refrigerant for a decade or more.

that does not apply for most car aircon systems where connections are flexible and subject to high vibrations as well as shocks.

That's a good tip D, thanks. 15 Baht a pound 'off' x XX air con units is "serious" money (almost 1,000 Baht a year!). Will have someone watch them check the guages from now on.

That's a good tip D, thanks. 15 Baht a pound 'off' x XX air con units is "serious" money (almost 1,000 Baht a year!). Will have someone watch them check the guages from now on.

:D

a difficult undertaking Heng if you don't know what pressure respectively negative pressure the gauges are supposed to show. easiest way to save money is buying your own small tank of refrigerant and tell the service chaps to use it if topping is required. you have a few baht of blocked capital but in the long run you are going to save.

Found a dealer in Kamphaeng Phet that offered me a 12,000 BTU "NO NAME" unit for 12,000 baht installed. Got one! That was 6 months ago and it purrs like a kitten. I have to save money on all my purchases, as I have a Thai wife. Nuff said!

When I say NO NAME, I mean no labels other than the royal energy labels etc. Asked around and found that all the units use the Miisubishi insides and then slap their own name on it.

I have 5 Trane air cons, one is 15 year old (moved to new house 10 year back) only problem with any of these was the older had a fuse burn out. No charge to replace, no additional freon in any of them over the years. The dealer has been in business for close to 20 years at same location. They do not use Misubishi insides, this sounds like another real sales pitch by someone who does not have a clue to what they are talking about.

a difficult undertaking Heng if you don't know what pressure respectively negative pressure the gauges are supposed to show. easiest way to save money is buying your own small tank of refrigerant and tell the service chaps to use it if topping is required. you have a few baht of blocked capital but in the long run you are going to save.

True. I think before I do that though I'm going to have a talk with some relatives who run a fairly large air conditioning service biz and see what they say about coolant consumption and "what the guages are" before and after.