Excessive and unrelenting nasal discharge.

Began 12 months ago. Many people at this time reported huge amounts of thick green mucous discharge. Mine finally stopped after 6 months. Left with permanent pain around the eyes. After only a few weeks discharge recommenced although with less quantity. After a further six months it still continues. Makes any travelling unpleasant because the force and quantity is too great for paper handkerchieves to cope with. Mrs has purchased lots of those small bags of various tablets dispensed by our local nurse. Today I noticed my sense of taste has gone. That’s good in a way because I can now eat things I previously detested! Anyone else suffering same? Is there anything that can be done?

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You need to see an ENT. Might be sinusitis (and at this point, chronic).

Where in Thailand are you? 

Thanks, sounds like it. Khon Kaen is my nearest large town.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mstevens said:

You might like to try this product which is available on iHerb:

Xlear, Rescue Nasal Spray with Xylitol, Fast Relief, 1.5 fl oz (45 ml)

(I note it's also available on Lazada but at 2.5 x the price as iHerb.)

Note, if you do choose this options (and I really do suggest you give it a try as it's cheap, powerful and entirely natural), then make sure you get the RESCUE product, as named above. There are a few similar products by Xlear but Rescue Nasal Spray is the one you want.

This is far and away the most powerful non-prescription nasal spray I have used. I battled with sinusitis on and off for years and a couple of years back was recommended this. It was hugely helpful. Note, most of us have a degree of colonisation of bacteria, funghi and mould in our nasal passage. This product really cleans the nasal passage out. Think of it as a reliever OR a medium-term treatment option i.e. it can help to clear out very long-term colonisation of the nasal passage. In such cases, it's not an overnight fix and you may need to spray each nostril a couple of times for several weeks. Many "mouldies" (those who have an internal colonisation of mould) swear by this particular product.

Sounds great! Many thanks for your kind advice. https://th.iherb.com/pr/xlear-rescue-nasal-spray-with-xylitol-fast-relief-1-5-fl-oz-45-ml/120001

Edited by The Fugitive
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks, sounds like it. Khon Kaen is my nearest large town.

Go to Khon Kaen Univeristy Hoispital (Srinagarind)

Special MedicalClinic

https://www.smckku.com/smc-doctors/

scroll down to "otolaryngology" for list of doctors and their hours,  select one that is a Prof or Assoc. Prof.

• Thanks 2

Personally, I would seek out a Nose, Throat and Ear Doctor. They will take a look. Discharges sounds like a definite infection. But the Doctor could find a growth (s) causing the long running issue. At the onset of any sinis issues, I irrigate continuously by flooding up one nostril and out the other with saline solution (plastic bottles for eye contact lense).

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Personally, I would seek out a Nose, Throat and Ear Doctor. They will take a look. Discharges sounds like a definite infection. But the Doctor could find a growth (s) causing the long running issue. At the onset of any sinis issues, I irrigate continuously by flooding up one nostril and out the other with saline solution (plastic bottles for eye contact lense).

Good advice thanks!

Everyone is saying go see an ENT or otolaryngologist and I would back those suggestions. You may have developed sinus problems which may need long-term treatment with or without medications.

• Thanks 1

Colourless discharge = no bacterial infection. Treatment is cortisone spray (Nasonex) possibly combined with azelastine spray.

Colourful discharge = bacterial infection.

• Thanks 1

There are many things that could be causing this, the very first thing I would look at is food allergies, and the possibility that you are allergic to dairy. If you are eating much in the way of cheese, cream, yogurt or milk I would look at that first. Try eliminating that and see if you're sinuses clear up. Second thing I'd look at is allergies, and the possibility that your allergies are creating sinusitis. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are many things that could be causing this, the very first thing I would look at is food allergies, and the possibility that you are allergic to dairy. If you are eating much in the way of cheese, cream, yogurt or milk I would look at that first. Try eliminating that and see if you're sinuses clear up. Second thing I'd look at is allergies, and the possibility that your allergies are creating sinusitis. 

Good suggestions, many thanks. We don't buy any dairy products. I only drink the odd powdered 'creamer' in a cup of coffee very occasionally. I've fortunately never been troubled with allergies or, at least, up until now?

31 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Colourless discharge = no bacterial infection. Treatment is cortisone spray (Nasonex) possibly combined with azelastine spray.

Colourful discharge = bacterial infection.

12 months of the colourful variety! I've read it's dead white blood cells that have been fighting infection.

39 minutes ago, PPMMUU said:

Everyone is saying go see an ENT or otolaryngologist and I would back those suggestions. You may have developed sinus problems which may need long-term treatment with or without medications.

Agreed! Many thanks. I'm going to go that route.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Good suggestions, many thanks. We don't buy any dairy products. I only drink the odd powdered 'creamer' in a cup of coffee very occasionally. I've fortunately never been troubled with allergies or, at least, up until now?

I had some significant sinus issues years back and after doing a significant battery of tests my doctor said everything came back negative and I had likely developed an allergy to pollution. Was it worse when the air was really filthy here, back in April and May? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

A couple of years ago I had the same thing. Never ending mucous just kept flowing. Finally I figured it out with some googling. It was a side effect from prostrate medicine. Tamsulosin was the problem. Checked with the doctor and he confirmed it had this side effect. So stopped it and within two months all was well. But it did take that long for it to clear up. So taking any meds that may have side effects? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I had some significant sinus issues years back and after doing a significant battery of tests my doctor said everything came back negative and I had likely developed an allergy to pollution. Was it worse when the air was really filthy here, back in April and May? 

Good thinking! About the same.

22 minutes ago, marin said:

A couple of years ago I had the same thing. Never ending mucous just kept flowing. Finally I figured it out with some googling. It was a side effect from prostrate medicine. Tamsulosin was the problem. Checked with the doctor and he confirmed it had this side effect. So stopped it and within two months all was well. But it did take that long for it to clear up. So taking any meds that may have side effects? 

Another good possibility, thanks! I don't take any regular medication. The only meds I have taken have been the assortment of pills that my Mrs brings me from our local nurse to try to combat this issue.

21 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Began 12 months ago. Many people at this time reported huge amounts of thick green mucous discharge. Mine finally stopped after 6 months. Left with permanent pain around the eyes. After only a few weeks discharge recommenced although with less quantity. After a further six months it still continues. Makes any travelling unpleasant because the force and quantity is too great for paper handkerchieves to cope with. Mrs has purchased lots of those small bags of various tablets dispensed by our local nurse. Today I noticed my sense of taste has gone. That’s good in a way because I can now eat things I previously detested! Anyone else suffering same? Is there anything that can be done?

Had the same thing.....started in 2001 whilst eating a chilli con carne after a Sting concert in Germany (totally irrelevant).

It was hell for six months until I started taking loratadine tablets, one a day AND Beconaise spray, one puff in each nostril once a day.

For me, I had to take both, miss one or the other and it all kicked off again.

Turns out i am allergic to myself.....cortisol was the root cause.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Had the same thing.....started in 2001 whilst eating a chilli con carne after a Sting concert in Germany (totally irrelevant).

It was hell for six months until I started taking loratadine tablets, one a day AND Beconaise spray, one puff in each nostril once a day.

For me, I had to take both, miss one or the other and it all kicked off again.

Turns out i am allergic to myself.....cortisol was the root cause.

When you say it turns out you were allergic to yourself, this is a classic comment made by those with some degree of mould / funghi / bacteria colonised in their nasal passage. Using Loratidine and Beonaise spray is simply masking the symptoms. Try and look at resolving the root cause and consider the nasal spray I recommended earlier or a colloidal silver nasal spray. You can resolve the issue and then you won't need to manage the symptoms as you are currently. Both of these recommended sprays are very cheap, natural and safe - all of which make them absolutely worth trying.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

When you say it turns out you were allergic to yourself, this is a classic comment made by those with some degree of mould / funghi / bacteria colonised in their nasal passage. Using Loratidine and Beonaise spray is simply masking the symptoms. Try and look at resolving the root cause and consider the nasal spray I recommended earlier or a colloidal silver nasal spray. You can resolve the issue and then you won't need to manage the symptoms as you are currently. Both of these recommended sprays are very cheap, natural and safe - all of which make them absolutely worth trying.

Thanks will give that a go.

The cortisol effect is very strong though....waking up from a deep sleep or a light nap my nose goes crazy.....constantly runs and non-stop sneezing.....without my medication that is.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Have you tried a neti pot? Clearing the sinuses like that seems to help when all esle fails. 

Not yet. Just looking now thanks. Seems a good idea!