Optometrist Joke

Posted (edited)

I went in today to get my Rx checked for contact lenses. This was at a fairly high end shop that sells designer frames, etc on the Silom business district main drag.

The exam was free. What a joke and botched job some lady did. Just a real rushed slapdash job on the machine where she barely waited for an answer, sometimes just skipping my answer altogether and moving to the next slide. Took about five minutes.

Final verdict was a handwritten Rx on a small piece of paper (no bc or diameter for the contacts Rx) 🤣 and a recommendation to see a medical eye doctor.

I'm sure lucky I did not order an expensive pair of lenses or pay for the exam. I hope Thailand can do better then this. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I've had worse from a Optometrist at a major chain hospital, and it cost me 1,500 baht.....

Him - Read the top line.

Me - I can't see anything

Him - Try harder!

No wonder people are rushed/confused and can't drive around here. They are not seeing properly 🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Did you get a recommendation to go to this place? in Pattaya I've only heard of 2 places recommended

No, I had gone into this place last week at random because they sell a high end frame and talked to the owner who I felt was competent and agreed I would return next time for the exam because it was near closing time.

When I went in this time that sane guy was there, but another staff took control who did the exam. I did not realize the lady was going to do the exam until I was already in the chair. I don't think she was a doctor.

Edited by JimTripper

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Did you get a recommendation to go to this place? in Pattaya I've only heard of 2 places recommended

She also asked me several times if I was currently wearing contacts in both eyes, or just one eye. I don't know anybody who is corrected in only one eye, maybe that's a thing here.

Also, why ask? Just do the exam and get it right and make a recommendation. It's not my job to figure out what I need.

Edited by JimTripper

24 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

She also asked me several times if I was currently wearing contacts in both eyes, or just one eye. I don't know anybody who is corrected in only one eye, maybe that's a thing here.

Also, why ask? Just do the exam and get it right and make a recommendation. It's not my job to figure out what I need.

Maybe she was the cleaner

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

No, I had gone into this place last week at random because they sell a high end frame and talked to the owner who I felt was competent and agreed I would return next time for the exam because it was near closing time.

When I went in this time that sane guy was there, but another staff took control who did the exam. I did not realize the lady was going to do the exam until I was already in the chair. I don't think she was a doctor.

Looks like it was a classic bait and switch

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I asked my Thai Mrs if she had ever had a eye test by an optician? I described pressure tests and digital imaging of the inside of the eyeball. At age 56 she hadn't a clue what I was talking about. She buys 100 baht reading glasses off the street markets. We have an independent optician in our small town and I've noticed two branches of the well known blue and white chain in our next larger town 11km away. I'm very tempted to go in just to find out what they offer (or don't) in the way of eye examinations?

17 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I asked my Thai Mrs if she had ever had a eye test by an optician? I described pressure tests and digital imaging of the inside of the eyeball. At age 56 she hadn't a clue what I was talking about. She buys 100 baht reading glasses off the street markets. We have an independent optician in our small town and I've noticed two branches of the well known blue and white chain in our next larger town 11km away. I'm very tempted to go in just to find out what they offer (or don't) in the way of eye examinations?

You mean ophthalmologist. Opticians just fit glasses and whatnot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You mean ophthalmologist. Opticians just fit glasses and whatnot.

My optometrist in U.K. does OCT (and also offers OptoMap scans), pressure testing for glaucoma plus the usual reading tests. She also prescribes and dispenses. What I was getting at was my Thai Mrs has never had any sort of eye test, consequently, never worn prescription lenses. Not good at 56 years of age.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like it was a classic bait and switch

Yeah, I figured that out with the dentists. I always book with the one I want. I slipped up here, need to do it everywhere I go. That is, book with exactly who you want or you end up getting some assistant or generally inept person.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

My optometrist in U.K. does OCT (and also offers OptoMap scans), pressure testing for glaucoma plus the usual reading tests. She also prescribes and dispenses. What I was getting at was my Thai Mrs has never had any sort of eye test, consequently, never worn prescription lenses. Not good at 56 years of age.

But not your optician as you implied previously, correct? 

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But not your optician as you implied previously, correct?

Neither my Thai wife nor myself having been for an eye examination/prescription spectacles in Thailand I don't know what staff the independent or optical chains employ and what (if any) their qualifications are? That was why I referred to 'opticians' (as in dispensing only).

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Neither my Thai wife nor myself having been for an eye examination/prescription spectacles in Thailand I don't know what staff the independent or optical chains employ and what (if any) their qualifications are? That was why I referred to 'opticians' (as in dispensing only).

So that's a yes?

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In UK we refer to those shops as opticians we don't usually split hairs about it

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm shopping for glasses in London. 

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

anyway at least you know it isn't a ophthalmologist as you suggested, live and learn

I see an ophthalmologist every six months, and she does any number of tests and whatnot. Coincidentally, I am seeing her again this Monda. 

Dr. Manaswi Jardol – Kanchanapisek Medical Center (mahidol.ac.th)

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah but that isn't what was required, it was an optometrist

IMG_0601.jpeg

I think what I got was an optician doing an eye exam. They should not be allowed to do this.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Opthamologist: Eye medical health

Optometrist: Vision correction

Optician: Glasses, frames and lens sales

Unless the vision correction involves surgery. 

Maybe it's different in the UK, but in the US, optometrists do not go to medical school, they get a "doctor of optometry" degree. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Unless the vision correction involves surgery. 

Maybe it's different in the UK, but in the US, optometrists do not go to medical school, they get a "doctor of optometry" degree. 

That's correct. Anything physically invasive requires a MD. Blowing the puff of air, drops, dilations, contacts, etc are allowed for OD's. I think Lasik requires the MD as well since it's cutting off part of the lens.

Edited by JimTripper

21 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

IMG_0601.jpeg

I think what I got was an optician doing an eye exam. They should not be allowed to do this.

What you seem to have got was a cleaner pretending to be an optician 

• Agree 2