George Clooney Urges Joe Biden to Exit Presidential Race Amid Growing Democratic Concerns

Social Media

image.png.9edb1c13be9c437081cb520881d9282f.png

George Clooney, the Hollywood actor and prominent Democratic fundraiser, has publicly called for President Joe Biden to step down from the US presidential race. Clooney’s appeal comes just hours after senior Democrat Nancy Pelosi avoided directly answering questions about Biden’s future candidacy. The actor’s statements highlight the growing unease within the Democratic Party regarding the 81-year-old president’s ability to continue his campaign and secure a victory against Donald Trump in the upcoming election.

Clooney, known for his significant contributions to Democratic fundraising efforts, expressed his concerns in an op-ed published by the New York Times. He acknowledged Biden’s numerous career victories but emphasized that the president faces an insurmountable challenge: "the fight against time." Reflecting on a recent encounter with Biden at a fundraising event, Clooney wrote, "It was devastating to say it, but the Joe Biden I met three weeks ago was not the Biden of 2010. He wasn’t even the Joe Biden of 2020. He was the same man we all witnessed at the debate."

The event in question, co-hosted by Clooney in Los Angeles alongside other Hollywood luminaries like Julia Roberts and Barbra Streisand, raised approximately $30 million for Biden's campaign. Despite this record-breaking support, Clooney’s recent comments reveal a stark shift in his confidence. The Biden campaign swiftly rebutted Clooney’s remarks, with an unnamed source emphasizing that the president attended the fundraiser immediately after arriving from the G7 summit in Italy and stayed for over three hours, whereas Clooney "took a photo quickly and left."

Nancy Pelosi, the former House Speaker and a highly influential Democrat, also hinted at the urgency of Biden’s decision-making process during a recent interview. When asked if Biden should remain in the race, Pelosi remarked, "I want him to do whatever he decides to do. It's up to the president to decide if he's going to run. We are all encouraging him to make that decision because time is running short." Her comments, coupled with Clooney’s, underscore a growing impatience within the party as Biden faces increasing scrutiny.

Despite these calls for introspection, President Biden has maintained his determination to continue his campaign. In a letter to Democrats in Congress, he reaffirmed his commitment to his candidacy and to defeating Trump. However, public dissent within the Democratic Party is becoming more vocal. Since Biden's debate with Trump on June 27, about a dozen elected Democrats have suggested he abandon his campaign. Among them, Michael Bennet of Colorado predicted a possible Trump landslide victory if Biden remains the candidate. Similarly, Pat Ryan, a congressman from New York, implored Biden to step aside "for the good of our country, for my two young kids."

Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut expressed his "deep concern" about Biden’s ability to secure a win. Nonetheless, the Biden campaign reiterated that the president is "running this race to the end." House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries plans to discuss the growing concerns with Biden by Friday.

Despite the internal turmoil, support for Biden among elected Democrats remains substantial. California Governor Gavin Newsom, mentioned by Clooney as a potential replacement, has declared his unwavering support for Biden. The Congressional Black Caucus and progressive House members like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have also publicly backed the president. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, while publicly supporting Biden, has reportedly told donors he is open to considering alternatives.

Questions about Biden's candidacy have even reached the NATO summit in Washington, where Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg expressed confidence that the US would remain a committed NATO member regardless of the election outcome. Stoltenberg emphasized the importance of NATO unity, especially in a dangerous world, and assured that this unity includes the United States.

As Biden prepares for a rare solo news conference and an interview with NBC News, Democratic voters in key swing states like Pennsylvania exhibit mixed feelings. While some, like Karren Gillchrist in Harrisburg, remain firmly behind Biden, others, such as Melissa Nash in Elizabethtown, express uncertainty about the best candidate to lead the country.

Clooney’s intervention and the ensuing debate within the Democratic Party illustrate the complex dynamics at play as the US gears up for the next presidential election. The calls for Biden to reconsider his candidacy reflect deep concerns about the party’s chances of success and the need for a robust candidate to challenge Trump.

Credit: BBC 2024-07-11

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

The actor’s statements highlight the growing unease within the Democratic Party regarding the 81-year-old president’s ability to continue his campaign and secure a victory against Donald Trump in the upcoming election.

It's leaving a very sour taste in my mouth that they all look at Biden from the point of view as to whether he is capable of defeating Trump. It's like he is a thing that is likely to be trashed if it can no longer be used.

Don't these people have any concern for Biden the human being? He is obviously past it mentally and they should be concerned for his health, not his political usability. Why do they only care about him if he can win in November? Clayton friends at best.

I despise Biden the politician, but I feel sorry for him as a person that is struggling mentally.

If he was YOUR father, would you want him out there being humiliated every day?

He's even so far gone that they are putting orange makeup on his face to IMO make him look healthy, but put too much on. Trump isn't the orange man any more- that name belongs to Biden now.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's leaving a very sour taste in my mouth that they all look at Biden from the point of view as to whether he is capable of defeating Trump. It's like he is a thing that is likely to be trashed if it can no longer be used.

Don't these people have any concern for Biden the human being? He is obviously past it mentally and they should be concerned for his health, not his political usability. Why do they only care about him if he can win in November? Clayton friends at best.

I despise Biden the politician, but I feel sorry for him as a person that is struggling mentally.

He's even so far gone that they are putting orange makeup on his face to IMO make him look healthy, but put too much on. Trump isn't the orange man any more- that name belongs to Biden now.

First you have to disempowering him, and that is not done over the night! Until then, it seems the democrats will leave it up to the president to decide if he will run or not. 

Obvously neither Joe or Jill knows whats best for the country, but hopefully he will step down in time

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

First you have to disempowering him, and that is not done over the night! Until then, it seems the democrats will leave it up to the president to decide if he will run or not. 

Obvously neither Joe or Jill knows whats best for the country, but hopefully he will step down in time

I don't see how he can last till the convention, let alone to November. Seems everyone can tell he's done, except those that are so invested in him that they will look like fools if they admit he's no longer "all there".

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see how he can last till the convention, let alone to November. Seems everyone can tell he's done, except those that are so invested in him that they will look like fools if they admit he's no longer "all there".

well many families struggles with the same, older people who do not know their own best. Same as riding a big motorbike in Thailand after they start loosing their abilities to do so in a safe way, or car for that sake

• Like 1

Clooney is of course 100% right for once.

However, he should stay in his lane and stop preaching about politics. 

What is it about celebrities that they suddenly think they need to use their influence for political point scoring.

I hope Biden stays until November. Teach the Democrats a lesson that gaslighting is not a long term strategy for success. They deserve him. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

What is it about celebrities that they suddenly think they need to use their influence for political point scoring.

I hope Biden stays until November. Teach the Democrats a lesson that gaslighting is not a long term strategy for success. They deserve him. 

It is freedom of speach, anybody can voice their opinions, even you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Clooney is much more than a celebrity. 

He is a very major fundraiser for the democratic party.

Your opinion is tainted by your obvious interest in the democrats losing.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nobody in their right mind could believe that you care about Biden as a human being.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Biden still has a lot to give through his years of experience but not as President.

Swap the ticket. Harris with Biden as VP

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Biden still has a lot to give through his years of experience but not as President.

Swap the ticket. Harris with Biden as VP

That's not how it works. 

Biden as VP now?

Totally absurd.

On 7/11/2024 at 8:25 PM, Jingthing said:

That's not how it works. 

Biden as VP now?

Totally absurd.

Other than Harris' approval rating is low what's so absurd ?

35 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Other than Harris' approval rating is low what's so absurd ?

Biden staying on as VP when he's already been a VP for eight years and a full term as president. Ridiculous idea.

On 7/12/2024 at 12:10 AM, Hummin said:

Unless It goes against the consensus of course.

Then it is "hate speech". Or as Orwell labelled it, "Wrongspeak".

Clooney is famous, rich and left wing. His freedom of speech is indeed protected. He is well aware of that. 

I have no problem with his freedom to express his opinions. As long as those with differing opinions have the same freedoms.

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:10 AM, Hummin said:

I blame the media for reporting actors opinions as if they are the veritable word of God.

The media should give them as much attention as they do you or I.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I blame the media for reporting actors opinions as if they are the veritable word of God.

The media should give them as much attention as they do you or I.

Clooney is a major democratic party fund raiser and recently experienced the sadly diminished Biden himself at such an event. So Clooney has a lot more credibility than you or I. 

But who do you think you're fooling? The maga brigade wants Biden to stay in as they think correctly that he will be easier to beat and beat badly than a replacement. If the democrats put in a younger person, the attention will switch to Trump's old age and mental deterioration.