Mosquito Breeding

duratanium

What you report may be all due to the increased attention being given now by health authorities in Thailand to Dengue Fever (difficult to treat, unless caught early or a mild case, no known cure or prophylactic, quite a few fatalities in Thailand this year). There is rising regional concern in SE Asia about this serious mosquito-borne disease.

Dengue fever is carried and transmitted by the Aedes mosquito, which is typically active in the morning, unlike malaria, which is transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito, most active in the evening.

As far as I know, there is no specific 'season' for mosquitoes. The thing that you have to remember is that they need water to breed in. They lay their eggs in standing water anywhere, even in quite small amounts, and the incubation cycle is only two weeks. So the rainy season in Thailand, which results in more pools of water lying around, would be a higher risk season. The pools of water can be anywhere - water trapped in some corner of your building structure or water lying in some shady part of the vegetation. The fumigation (assuming that it is against mosquitoes and the like) is essentially to kill mosquitoes on the wing, before they lay eggs or attack people, and not to destroy mosquito larvae in pools of water.

While most of us are aware of the risk of mosquito-borne malaria and take some precautions about it, many of us are still not aware of the risks of dengue fever, which is much more serious if you get it.

I hope that this helps.

I was disappointing to realise that this is not a thread for avid mosquito breeders to swap tips and info regarding successful and selective breeding of mosquii (as we in the trade call them). Successful breeding and showing of our mosquii is a skillful and deliberate process that defines pedigree and bloodlines of mosquii, and categorizes this highly-misunderstood insect into several categories for sport and show classes.

Mosquii breeders meet up and down the country at regulated events and games, culminating in the prized Dengue Cup event. Blue Riband events include; Mosquito Racing / Fighting; Stagnant Water Polo; Scab Picking; Synchronized Swatting; and Freestyle Bush Saluting. :D

Perhaps I should try another forum? :o

I was disappointing to realise that this is not a thread for avid mosquito breeders to swap tips and info regarding successful and selective breeding of mosquii (as we in the trade call them). Successful breeding and showing of our mosquii is a skillful and deliberate process that defines pedigree and bloodlines of mosquii, and categorizes this highly-misunderstood insect into several categories for sport and show classes.

Mosquii breeders meet up and down the country at regulated events and games, culminating in the prized Dengue Cup event. Blue Riband events include; Mosquito Racing / Fighting; Stagnant Water Polo; Scab Picking; Synchronized Swatting; and Freestyle Bush Saluting. :D

Perhaps I should try another forum? :o

Can I have some of what you're on?

:D

What you report may be all due to the increased attention being given now by health authorities in Thailand to Dengue Fever (difficult to treat, unless caught early or a mild case, no known cure or prophylactic, quite a few fatalities in Thailand this year). There is rising regional concern in SE Asia about this serious mosquito-borne disease.

Dengue fever is carried and transmitted by the Aedes mosquito, which is typically active in the morning, unlike malaria, which is transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito, most active in the evening.

As far as I know, there is no specific 'season' for mosquitoes. The thing that you have to remember is that they need water to breed in. They lay their eggs in standing water anywhere, even in quite small amounts, and the incubation cycle is only two weeks. So the rainy season in Thailand, which results in more pools of water lying around, would be a higher risk season. The pools of water can be anywhere - water trapped in some corner of your building structure or water lying in some shady part of the vegetation. The fumigation (assuming that it is against mosquitoes and the like) is essentially to kill mosquitoes on the wing, before they lay eggs or attack people, and not to destroy mosquito larvae in pools of water.

While most of us are aware of the risk of mosquito-borne malaria and take some precautions about it, many of us are still not aware of the risks of dengue fever, which is much more serious if you get it.

I hope that this helps.

Ahhh thanks. I looked Dengue Fever up on the internet...

This infectious disease is manifested by a sudden onset of fever, with severe headache, muscle and joint pains (myalgias and arthralgias - severe pain gives it the name break-bone fever or bonecrusher disease)

I recall being told - a couple of weeks ago - that a teenager in the locale had these sypmtoms and was being treated at hospital. That seems then the most likely explanation for the fumigation taking place. I did not know it was caused by mosquito bites. Obviously Malaria is more commonly associated with mosquito bite and Dengue Fever rarely talked about.

I'll have to remember to be more careful on a morning.

Ahhh thanks. I looked Dengue Fever up on the internet...

This infectious disease is manifested by a sudden onset of fever, with severe headache, muscle and joint pains (myalgias and arthralgias - severe pain gives it the name break-bone fever or bonecrusher disease)

I recall being told - a couple of weeks ago - that a teenager in the locale had these sypmtoms and was being treated at hospital. That seems then the most likely explanation for the fumigation taking place. I did not know it was caused by mosquito bites. Obviously Malaria is more commonly associated with mosquito bite and Dengue Fever rarely talked about.

I'll have to remember to be more careful on a morning.

Quite coincidentally, I've just noticed that The Nation today

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/01...al_30043214.php

carries a report on Dengue Fever and the number of cases in SE Asia. Fatality rate not as bad as I thought, but if you don't diagnose and treat it quickly or if you get a bad dose, there's no solution. One of my expat friends in Phuket got it, but immediately recognised the symptons, being a long-termer in the region, and got off lightly with just two days in hospital.

Active in the mornings eh... glad I work at night.. and sleep the mornings away... :D I dont get up until about 2 pm.. are they inactive about then? I could sleep in from now on!! :o

Seriously I know how dangerous this is, my wife had it when she was 14 and it almost killed her. All our freestanding pots of water have fish in them to eat the larva, and when it rains we make sure there is no puddles left for anything nasty to grown in. Mosquitoes we have not had many problems this year so far but we have had a problem with Cobras.. we have found two in our garden and one by our water supply.. but hey.. that is for a different thread.

Active in the mornings eh... glad I work at night.. and sleep the mornings away... :D I dont get up until about 2 pm.. are they inactive about then? I could sleep in from now on!! :o

Seriously I know how dangerous this is, my wife had it when she was 14 and it almost killed her. All our freestanding pots of water have fish in them to eat the larva, and when it rains we make sure there is no puddles left for anything nasty to grown in. Mosquitoes we have not had many problems this year so far but we have had a problem with Cobras.. we have found two in our garden and one by our water supply.. but hey.. that is for a different thread.

Cobras do not carry dengue so you have nothing to worry about ! :D My wife had Dengue twice when she was a child and it also almost did her in one of the times.

Dengue fever can be caused by any one of four types of dengue virus: DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, and DEN-4. A person can be infected by at least two, if not all four types at different times during a life span, but only once by the same type. Isn't it great and reassuring to know that you can't get the same type twice ? :D

I've never read or heard of any treatment for dengue if you catch it early in the infection.

No, there's no cure. You just have to manage the symptoms with proper hydration etc. I've had it twice, once in Singapore and once in Isaan, Thailand.

Yes, the fumigating which likewise has just taken place in our village in Surin is a response to reporting of cases locally. This, the riany period is of course the worst season for mosquitos.

They came into our house without warning, fumigators roaring and belting out smoke which terrified the cat. There was no chance to cover anything in the kitchen and I hate to think what poisoning we suffered.

The thing that annoys me is that the authorities seem to do nothing about standing water. The locals are totally casual about water in pots, plant saucers, old rubber tyres, polythene bags etc. In Hong Kong and Singapore they prosecute people for this offence.

My Thai family are unaware that a drop of oil on standing water breaks the meniscus with the result that the larva (or do I mean pupa) cannot suspend itself on the friction of the surface and so sinks and drowns. In Africa I went round the local pits dug to build mud houses and dropped oil on the stagnant water and saved myself a few bites. The locals thought it was some sort of spirit propitiation.

My wife says it's a waste of time trying to control standing water as the neighbours don't bother. However, controlling your own small patch is worth it as mosquitos travel very small distanes, up to about a hundred metres. (How do I know this? Have I followed them with a tape measure?)

Has anyone mentioned that the disease type that is really is nasty is dengue haemorhagic because it's difficult to spell and causes fatal internal bleeding. If you suspect dengue, take paracetamol for the fever and not aspirin and try not to die. Lay off muay Thai for a bit..

Finally buy pale coloured curtains and towels as mosquitos will congregate in dark coloured ones but don't like pastel and modern styles. No kidding!

hel_l's teeth, my gin and tonic's finished!

Andrew Hicks

About as big as a bag of chicken or pork ribs. The larvae are pretty much all "meat." If you know anyone with a chicken/egg farm located in proximity to fish farming, it's a nice little pocket change earner with near zero cost (except for the health risk if you don't 'harvest' in a timely manner). I've seen some farms over in Minburi do about 70-80 kilos every few days in sales.

:o

Finally buy pale coloured curtains and towels as mosquitos will congregate in dark coloured ones but don't like pastel and modern styles. No kidding!

Andrew Hicks

This is not as stupid as it may seem. There's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that, at least in the evening, mosquitoes are more attracted to land on you if you are wearing dark clothing than if you are wearing light clothing (I worked in tropical insect control business for a while). This tracks with Andrew's comment about curtains. So, stick to white shirts, rather than dark blue!