Buying Condo

My wife and i are Brit expats living in BKK on my work permit.

Perhaps a basic question, but if buying a condo in Thailand, can we both be joint owners on the contract, or only me bcos I hold the work permit (or does that not matter)???

My wife and i are Brit expats living in BKK on my work permit.

Perhaps a basic question, but if buying a condo in Thailand, can we both be joint owners on the contract, or only me bcos I hold the work permit (or does that not matter)???

You can bought be on the contract i have bought condos in my own name and dont have a work permit .

JB

• 1 month later...

How would I transfer the money into Thailand if I don't have a workpermit and so can't open a bank account?

A friend of mine is looking to buy a condo, however he doesn't have a workpermit and is here on toursit visa.. How would he go about and get the money in here and get the correct documents from the bank with no bank account?

Thanks

RR

How would I transfer the money into Thailand if I don't have a workpermit and so can't open a bank account?

A friend of mine is looking to buy a condo, however he doesn't have a workpermit and is here on toursit visa.. How would he go about and get the money in here and get the correct documents from the bank with no bank account?

Thanks

RR

Are you sure you need a work permit to open a bank account. I've never had one & never had a problem except at Bank of Asia here in Chiang Mai. Try different banks & different branches. Good luck.

It does matter and this is very important! You want to buy the condo in YOUR name only. In Pattaya where I live and do business buying, renovated and selling condos once a building hits the 49% of Foreign ownership as allowed by Thai law the foreign owned condos increase in value immediately by 15% and the Thai owned condos decrease in value by 15%.

Once you have the condo in your name you have locked in that condo in a foreign name, which means it can be sold to another foreigner, but it also can be sold to a Thai. If a condo is in a Thai name it can only be sold to a Thai once the building hits 49%. Before anyone post it can also be bought in a company name I will tell you very few of those are selling now, and if they do sell they are at a deep discount.

You do not need a work permit or visa to open a Thai bank account despite what they might tell you at the bank you attempted to open an account at. Find a friend who does a lot of business with a bank and have him take you there to open an account for you.

To open an account, Siam Commercial first asked my mother to get papers from Immigration, and from the owner of the property where she was living... or.......... she could buy health insurance for 1,500 baht, of which she had none anyway, so she took the insurance to avoid all of the running around.

I have had an account at SCB for 16 years. I tried to open an additional account. They would not do allow it. My friend walked in and showed them 300,000 that he wanted to deposit. They opened a new account right away for him.

Sometimes, and some places, it is easy. Other times and other places, it is a pain. Go from bank to bank, and from branch to branch, and you will get someone to open an account for you.

Good luck