Ukraine Pushes for Second Peace Summit with Russia Before U.S. Elections

image.png.161bfb14b87bd8eba4d025dca5d85b96.png

Ukraine is pushing to organize a second peace summit with Russia before the U.S. elections in November, aiming to secure a fair settlement in the ongoing conflict. The urgency stems from the potential political shift in the U.S., with the possibility of Donald Trump returning to the White House. Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, has promised to end the war by his inauguration in January and has criticized the continued U.S. military support for Ukraine.

This planned summit follows a previous meeting in Switzerland last month, which included representatives from over 90 countries. Russia was notably absent from this initial summit, and some key nations from the Global South declined to sign the final statement, arguing that Moscow should be part of the discussions. China and Brazil, which also did not participate in the Swiss meeting, have been advocating for Russia's inclusion and have proposed their own plans to end the conflict.

Kyiv views the summit process as a pathway to reaching a broad agreement on key principles that would form the foundation of a just peace before direct engagement with Russia. The first summit focused on nuclear safety, food security, and the return of abducted children, and these issues are expected to guide initial contacts with Russian officials. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, speaking at the Reagan Institute in Washington, emphasized the importance of U.S. support in organizing the second summit to make it "more powerful and truly decisive."

A Ukrainian official confirmed the plan to hold the second summit before the U.S. elections. However, officials from some Western allied nations stressed the need for careful organization, clear purposes, and managed expectations for any meeting with Russia. Some U.S. officials are unconvinced that a summit with both Russia and Ukraine will occur, citing the private nature of ongoing talks.

The first summit's failure to fully win over key nations from the Global South was a significant setback for Ukraine. Many of these countries, along with China, have long maintained that Moscow should be included in the talks. Beijing and Brazil have put forward their proposals to bring about an end to Russia's war on Ukraine, emphasizing the need for a comprehensive and inclusive approach to peace negotiations.

The planned second summit aims to address these concerns by including Russia in the discussions, hoping to create a more balanced and effective dialogue. The focus on nuclear safety, food security, and the return of abducted children will remain central to these talks, providing a basis for initial contact with Russian officials.

Zelensky's appeal at the Reagan Institute highlights the strategic importance of securing a peace framework amid the shifting political landscape in the U.S. With the possibility of Trump's return to the presidency, Ukraine is keen to solidify international support and establish a robust peace process. The potential changes in U.S. foreign policy make it crucial for Kyiv to act swiftly and decisively.

The international community's response to Ukraine's call for a second summit will be a critical factor in determining the success of these efforts. The involvement of key global players, including the U.S., China, and Brazil, will be essential in creating a comprehensive and lasting peace agreement. As the November U.S. elections approach, the urgency of these discussions will only intensify, highlighting the need for a coordinated and strategic approach to peace negotiations.

Credit: Bloomberg 2024-07-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is reality finally being accepted? I can't see Zelensky wanting that unless he was in real trouble. Doesn't fit with the narrative previously of no surrender.

Meanwhile, will he still be attacking inside Russia and poking the bear? Not advisable if one wants a meaningful result.

Seems that Trump has become so powerful in world politics that he hasn't even had an election  and Zelensky is running for cover. I guess Zelensky thinks Trump is going to be a winner.

I didn't read anything about surrender in that article. 

That's your projection of your fantasy. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2024 at 1:35 PM, impulse said:

How can they call for a 2nd peace summit with Russia, when they haven't had a first?

First was an agreed compromise in Feb 2022 before Boris and others scuppered it for his Churchillian fantasies. This will be the second - hopefully, peace will come, and a buffer zone agreed upon - Ukraine is lost and can only hope to retain parts. I think they will agree on a buffer ruled by neither Ukraine nor Russia - a de-militarised zone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I think they will agree on a buffer ruled by neither Ukraine nor Russia - a de-militarised zone.

and endless ambushes and small armed teams of "avengers" from both sides. Is-Pl style. 

plus huge speakers on both sides screaming obscenities to each other. Korean style.

great future on most fertile soil in Europe.

Not funny IMO

Edited by NativeBob

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Hopefully, it will be over by early next year - maybe earlier.

26 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

and endless ambushes and small armed teams of "avengers" from both sides. Is-Pl style. 

plus huge speakers on both sides screaming obscenities to each other. Korean style.

great future on most fertile soil in Europe.

Not funny IMO

How sweet, Bob & Bob patting each other on the back. In the mean time both the Kremlin & NATO are planning for the possiblity of another 10 years of war. The majority of Ukrainians also want to keep on fighting the illegal invasion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How sweet, Bob & Bob patting each other on the back. In the mean time both the Kremlin & NATO are planning for the possiblity of another 10 years of war. The majority of Ukrainians also want to keep on fighting the illegal invasion.

Really?  how do you know that? Fixed local polls carried out by the corrupt government?  or western MSM and their biased claptrap?  a poor peace is better than a cruel war.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BobBKK said:

Really?  how do you know that? Fixed local polls carried out by the corrupt government?  or western MSM and their biased claptrap?  a poor peace is better than a cruel war.

Says the apologist who posts a video quoting a poll............:cheesy:

Yes really

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

First was an agreed compromise in Feb 2022 before Boris and others scuppered it for his Churchillian fantasies. This will be the second - hopefully, peace will come, and a buffer zone agreed upon - Ukraine is lost and can only hope to retain parts. I think they will agree on a buffer ruled by neither Ukraine nor Russia - a de-militarised zone.

You are absolutely right about the Ankara peace summit where an agreement was reached to end the war but then it was nixed by the Brits, and by Brits I mean Americans because the UK would do nothing in these matters without the consent of the US. 

Ukraine was nothing but canon fodder in an attempt to weaken Russia. 

I realise that I don't know everything that Biden knows that lead to that decision, but from my perspective an evil decision.

I have said it many times in this forum, and have gotten flack for it, But in the end when all is said and done Ukraine will get the same deal that it could have had even before the war started, and certainly at the Ankara summit. Only now with the additional loss of a generation of Ukrainian youth, and destruction of the country. 

Sad very sad, 

With friend like those in this forum and elsewhere who supported this war, who needs enemies?

Zelinski should be hung from the highest tree for what he allowed to happen to Ukraine . 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 2

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Says the apologist who posts a video quoting a poll............:cheesy:

Yes really

It was a neutral video from the Times of India? Many here are pretty happy posting tons of biased videos daily as propaganda. I posted one that outlined the change of mood in Ukraine.

Just now, BobBKK said:

It was a neutral video from the Times of India? Many here are pretty happy posting tons of biased videos daily as propaganda. I posted one that outlined the change of mood in Ukraine.

Quoting a poll. 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You are absolutely right about the Ankara peace summit where an agreement was reached to end the war but then it was nixed by the Brits, and by Brits I mean Americans because the UK would do nothing in these matters without the consent of the US. 

Ukraine was nothing but canon fodder in an attempt to weaken Russia. 

I realise that I don't know everything that Biden knows that lead to that decision, but from my perspective an evil decision.

I have said it many times in this forum, and have gotten flack for it, But in the end when all is said and done Ukraine will get the same deal that it could have had even before the war started, and certainly at the Ankara summit. Only now with the additional loss of a generation of Ukrainian youth, and destruction of the country. 

Sad very sad, 

With friend like those in this forum and elsewhere who supported this war, who needs enemies?

Zelinski should be hung from the highest tree for what he allowed to happen to Ukraine . 

Spot on - thank you. Ignore the foolish on here - I regularly get called a commie or Putin fanboy by the retarded. I am anti-war and anti-USA hegemony and certainly not a supporter of Putin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Quoting a poll. 

It wasn't an MSM poll - anyway, I sought to bring some balance in this maelstrom of leftist propaganda on here.

Just now, BobBKK said:

It wasn't an MSM poll - anyway, I sought to bring some balance in this maelstrom of leftist propaganda on here.

So what poll was it and from where from? What makes it more reliable than other polls such as this one carried out last month and all the others that it quotes?

When it comes to war outcomes, 73 percent of Ukrainians believed that Ukraine will eventually liberate all of its territories. A sizeable percentage also believed that Ukraine will regain some or all of its territories within the next year (56 percent) and that the war will end within two years (59 percent). While other polls have found less optimism about the current situation, the general belief in eventual victory is consistent across recent polls.

https://carnegieendowment.org/research/2024/06/ukraine-public-opinion-russia-war?lang=en

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

So what poll was it and from where from? What makes it more reliable than other polls such as this one carried out last month and all the others that it quotes?

When it comes to war outcomes, 73 percent of Ukrainians believed that Ukraine will eventually liberate all of its territories. A sizeable percentage also believed that Ukraine will regain some or all of its territories within the next year (56 percent) and that the war will end within two years (59 percent). While other polls have found less optimism about the current situation, the general belief in eventual victory is consistent across recent polls.

https://carnegieendowment.org/research/2024/06/ukraine-public-opinion-russia-war?lang=en

When did I claim it was more reliable? I just offered it as a balance to the constant propaganda on here.

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

When did I claim it was more reliable? I just offered it as a balance to the constant propaganda on here.

I didn't say you claimed it was more reliable, you did say...............

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Yet you still have avoided who actually did the poll in that vid you posted.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I didn't say you claimed it was more reliable, you did say...............

Yet you still have avoided who actually did the poll in that vid you posted.

It is not avoided, but I accept that the Times of India commissioned it. Times of India is a reputable company with a revenue of nearly $1 billion:

The Times Group is one of India's largest media conglomerates with its flagship Bennett, Coleman and Company Limited (BCCL) being the largest publishing company in India and South-Asia. Starting off with The Times of India-which is now the largest English publication in the world-BCCL and its subsidiaries (called The Times of India Group), are present in every existing media platform-Newspapers, Magazines, Books, TV, Radio, Internet, Event Management, Outdoor Display, Music, Movies and more. With a turnover exceeding a billion dollars, the group has the support of over 25,000 advertisers, 11,000 employees and an audience spanning across all continents.

It is not avoided, but I accept that the Times of India commissioned it. Times of India is a reputable company with a revenue of nearly $1 billion:

The Times Group is one of India's largest media conglomerates with its flagship Bennett, Coleman and Company Limited (BCCL) being the largest publishing company in India and South-Asia. Starting off with The Times of India-which is now the largest English publication in the world-BCCL and its subsidiaries (called The Times of India Group), are present in every existing media platform-Newspapers, Magazines, Books, TV, Radio, Internet, Event Management, Outdoor Display, Music, Movies and more. With a turnover exceeding a billion dollars, the group has the support of over 25,000 advertisers, 11,000 employees and an audience spanning across all continents.

Wrong, source R.T. :cheesy:

image.png.3dc605e3cf773d7625d564ab91cf44a0.png

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Wrong, source R.T. :cheesy:

image.png.3dc605e3cf773d7625d564ab91cf44a0.png

The video is TOI which is a very mainstream and reputable source that would check its facts. Why don't you obsess as much over the propaganda polls supporting Ukraine on here? No one knows where they come from, and it's all "a source says," etc. I think RT has as much credibility as CNN or ABC.

I found the original poll—not from RT but from The Kiev International Institute of Sociology—and I trust them. Do you?
🤣🤣🤣

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/poll-says-32-ukrainians-open-territorial-concessions-quick-peace-2024-07-23/

Screenshot (236).png

Edited by BobBKK

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

The video is TOI. I don't know where RT got its data from, but TOI is a very mainstream and reputable source that would check its facts. Why don't you obsess as much over the propaganda polls supporting Ukraine on here? No one knows where they come from, and it's all "a source says," etc. I think RT has as much credibility as CNN or ABC.

I know what channel the video is. Thats not the point. As for data from RT perhaps  a handfull of the 7000 Ukraine civilians they have in prison?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know what channel the video is. Thats not the point. As for data from RT perhaps  a handfull of the 7000 Ukraine civilians they have in prison?

It's on Reuters, bro...  from Kiev - time to let this one go

Screenshot (236).png

It's on Reuters, bro...  from Kiev - time to let this one go

Screenshot (236).png

Like I said in my first response to your original post:

"The majority of Ukrainians also want to keep on fighting the illegal invasion."

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Like I said in my first response to your original post:

"The majority of Ukrainians also want to keep on fighting the illegal invasion."

Defleeeeeeection Brian you were trying to score points that it was an RT poll - you laughed about it.  How about being HONEST and saying "whoops"?

Just now, BobBKK said:

Defleeeeeeection Brian you were trying to score points that it was an RT poll - you laughed about it.  How about being HONEST and saying "whoops"?

How is that a deflection? 

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

How is that a deflection? 

After that, you thought it was funny because you thought it was an RT poll—you were wrong. Be honest.