Airline resident card

Ok, going to try to do this without being sued.

I have been trying for the last month to get an explanation regarding the tightening of the resident card for discounted fares. It has been....frustrating to say the least. Basically if you are not married to a Thai or the owner of a company (which is illegal if you are using nominee share holders) you cannot get a card.

I operate under a 30 year lease in our property in my Thai partners name which is not good enough apparently. I guess it is just another case of a conglomerate monopoly doing as they wish.

Edited by Can samui

I do not know of any new rules as I have a legitimate company and have had the card for years. You only have to be an employee (work permit) or director.

The girl that works with me in the office managed to get a card with a signed copy of the house book and a signed lease from the owner.

She is Thai but as far as I know, a foreigner can do the same. This was at the beginning of the year. Not sure why your application was rejected.

Why not get your partner to apply and use her resident card number/name to book your flights?

I do not know if the fairly recent new types of visas are eligible for the card (Elite Visa, Long Stay etc). Knowing how slowly bureaucracy works in Thailand, probably not.

Bangkok Airways own the airport - not a monopoly. Their airport, their rules.

The rules are to try and ensure that Samui residents are the only folk to get the discounts.

Other airlines have always flown to Samui.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Can samui said:

Oxford dictionary definition of monopoly.

The exclusive possession or control of or trade in a commodity or service.

So every airport is a monopoly.

Suvarnabhumi, Phuket et al.

All exclusively owned and controlled by the government.

Yet many folk on AN only quote Samui airport as being a monopoly.

Hmm.

image.jpeg.c76ff4152cb2d425a85d7c8936a5ada2.jpeg

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Can samui said:

I have been trying for the last month to get an explanation regarding the tightening of the resident card for discounted fares. It has been....frustrating to say the least. Basically if you are not married to a Thai or the owner of a company (which is illegal if you are using nominee share holders) you cannot get a card.

I operate under a 30 year lease in our property in my Thai partners name which is not good enough apparently. I guess it is just another case of a conglomerate monopoly doing as they wish.

To my knowledge it has been like that for years. And by the way, it's legal to be shareholder in a Thai company limited and even board member (director) without a work permit. If you are a hotel/business employee, you are also eligible, and also if you are a registered as resident (registered in a house book).

"I operate under a 30 year lease in our property in my Thai partners name which is not good enough apparently" – it seems like you need a work permit, as business employees are eligible. Bangkok Airway's rules say: "Employee Certification, Work Permit (minimum of 6 months old from the date of application) or  Company  Registration Certification (maximum of 20 employees per company) effective from 1 January 2022 onwards."

Have you had a Resident Card before, since you state "the tightening of the resident card".

It's up to an airline to decide its policy about loyalty bonus points and other discounts, it has nothing to do with monopoly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

So every airport is a monopoly.

Suvarnabhumi, Phuket et al.

All exclusively owned and controlled by the government.

Yet many folk on AN only quote Samui airport as being a monopoly.

Hmm.

image.jpeg.c76ff4152cb2d425a85d7c8936a5ada2.jpeg

Actually, AOT is public company, which is kind of strange, as it's a 'spin off' of gov't agency, along with being the major stock holder of 70%.

AOT controls the 6 international airports ...

... Suvarnabhumi Airport

... Bangkok International Airport

... Phuket International Airport

... Chiang Mai International Airport

... Hat Yai International Airport

,,, Chiang Rai

Samui Airport is privately owned and operated by Bangkok Airways. Most flights from the island are operated by Bangkok Airways.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually, AOT is public company, which is kind of strange, as it's a 'spin off' of gov't agency, along with being the major stock holder of 70%.

AOT controls the 6 international airports ...

... Suvarnabhumi Airport

... Bangkok International Airport

... Phuket International Airport

... Chiang Mai International Airport

... Hat Yai International Airport

,,, Chiang Rai

Samui Airport is privately owned and operated by Bangkok Airways. Most flights from the island are operated by Bangkok Airways.

AOT is the owner of the airport, Bangkok Airways is also a Plc. Both you and I can be shareholder – and thereby part-owner – in both companies. Nothing strange in AOT having a major government owner, many airports has that, also in my European home country.

On 7/14/2024 at 10:31 AM, Can samui said:

I'm not an owner of a company and not married to a Thai, but didn't have issues getting approval,  producing only my pink card. In the end I didn't get it as I didn't have a CC with me to pay. Not a big deal as it turned out the card costs 400 baht and is valid only for 2 years. If purchasing tickets well in advance the price is probably better than using the card.

Just renewed my girlfriend's and my own Resident Cards, yesterday. Scan of blue and yellow house books, sent by e-mail together with copy of her ID-card and my passport, stating our card-numbers; immediately confirmed by return e-mail. 300 baht fee for each for two years, which could be paid by an attached QR-code; easy peasy...:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 3:11 PM, khunPer said:

Just renewed my girlfriend's and my own Resident Cards, yesterday. Scan of blue and yellow house books, sent by e-mail together with copy of her ID-card and my passport, stating our card-numbers; immediately confirmed by return e-mail. 300 baht fee for each for two years, which could be paid by an attached QR-code; easy peasy...:thumbsup:

khunPer could you share the email address for me please?

Edited by steelerian

6 hours ago, steelerian said:

khunPer could you share the email address for me please?

It's the one shown on the resident card renewal page: flyerbonus(at)bangkokair.com

Edited by Rimmer
email address edited per forum rules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to get one of these cards at all if you're just renting a property? Like with a 12 month or more lease agreement & a copy of the landlord's ID/house registration...Unfortunately I don't have a pink card or yellow book & my wife is registered at her home in Surat.

Edited by yabbra

On 7/21/2024 at 4:10 AM, yabbra said:

Is it possible to get one of these cards at all if you're just renting a property? Like with a 12 month or more lease agreement & a copy of the landlord's ID/house registration...Unfortunately I don't have a pink card or yellow book & my wife is registered at her home in Surat.

No, you are not a resident, if you're not registered in a house book or one of the other possibilities listed below.

These are the rules:

Must be

• A Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao resident or
  • A descendant or spouse of a resident of Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan, or Koh Tao whose name appears on the household registration certificate.
  • An owner and holder of the title to the property or land on Koh Samui or Koh PhaNgan Koh Tao District.
  • A hotel/business employee on Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao*
  • An owner of an operating business on Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao
  • A government official on Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao
  • A student at school, college or university on Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao (Under Office of the Basic Education Commission, Ministry of Education). And must NOT be Language School , Tutorial Programs and Nursery Schools.
  • A practising monk at a temple on Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao
  • A medical service employee at a hospital on Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao

*Applications for Corporate Memberships will be subject to FlyerBonus Terms and Conditions (for more information please refer to the supporting documentation)

On 7/14/2024 at 1:55 PM, khunPer said:

And by the way, it's legal to be shareholder in a Thai company limited and even board member (director) without a work permit.

If the company has been incorporated using nominee directors (usually to circumvent Thai law), as he stated (but you chose to ignore), the company is not legal.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If the company has been incorporated using nominee directors (usually to circumvent Thai law), as he stated (but you chose to ignore), the company is not legal.

That is completely irrelevant, BKK Airways does not check if the company has nominee directors, that is not their job to do and of no interest to them.

If applying for their resident card as a company owner then you have to show a register extract from Ministry of Commerce showing that the business is active and that you are the company owner. Good enough for Ministry of Commerce = good enough for Bkk Airways.

• Agree 2

On 7/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, yabbra said:

I suggest that you go to the Bangkok Airways office and ask them. (Next to Bangkok Hospital Samui.)

I have not been there for a while, but I found them to be helpful when I was there last.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 7/14/2024 at 8:55 AM, khunPer said:

And by the way, it's legal to be shareholder in a Thai company limited and even board member (director) without a work permit.

Not all Thai company limited that use nominee shareholders, many are performing legal business. It's those I refers to, not the illegal ones. Please note that I was replying to: "Basically if you are not married to a Thai or the owner of a company (which is illegal if you are using nominee share holders) you cannot get a card." The "nominee" remark is clearly mentioned in parenthesis.

On 7/16/2024 at 8:58 AM, Tmoney said:

Not so gearbox, fare with a resident card is generally around 2,700 baht to Bangkok one way. No matter how far in advance you book you are unlikely to get anything like that rate. You save the cost of the card on your first flight.

(You also get priority on standby in case of emergency).

I'm interested in what you needed to produce to qualify for your pink card though, (even though you say you didn't get one), please share, it will help others I am sure.

Hi sorry for the late reply, I'm in Indonesia now and don't check the forum often.

You can get USM - BKK flights cheaper than 2700, last two times I flew for 2300.

In fact the cheapest way to get them is if you have mileage points with a partner airline which allows Bangkok Airways partner booking, like Qantas and Qatar. I booked Samui - Singapore flight February next year for 6000 avios points plus 2700 baht fees, not bad at all.

In regards to the pink card, you only need yellow book to get it, and this was quite a bit of effort. My gf did most of the work, there are a few forms to fill in, you need a certified translation of your passport to Thai, and a Thai witness to certify they know you for 3 (I think so) years. I did this during covid, there was nothing to do and the office in Nathon was quite quiet. Not sure what is involved now. The yellow book is accepted instead of certificate of residence for driving licence in Samui.

If you have a Thai to help you, enquiry can be made with the office, otherwise with my level of Thai (next to nothing) I can't imagine doing it.

• Like 1