Maintenance Service for Honda CB300

I'm looking to get the 12,000km service for my Honda CB300R. I was planning to go to Honda Bigwing but they don't service the CB300. With all the horror stories about mechanics here, I want to find a Honda workshop that uses original parts and does a decent job.

Has anyone had experience with Honda workshops in Bangkok and can recommend a good one (or warn me about any bad ones)?

17 minutes ago, MixPiano said:

I'm looking to get the 12,000km service for my Honda CB300R. I was planning to go to Honda Bigwing but they don't service the CB300. With all the horror stories about mechanics here, I want to find a Honda workshop that uses original parts and does a decent job.

Has anyone had experience with Honda workshops in Bangkok and can recommend a good one (or warn me about any bad ones)?

Big wing Kanchanaburi is great, and one of the best I have visited and serviced my bike. Give them a call and ask. 

I don't know the details about that bike. But most importantly make sure they use the recommended oil, maybe synthetic oil, see manual.

Maybe also print out the details about that 12k service from your manual. Like, what work should be done, fluids changes, etc.

Give them the list and tell them you want that all of that is done.

And when you get your invoice, and there are not at least a couple of gaskets listed, then you know they probably didn't do what they should have done.

I have a KTM Duke 390 and a couple of authorized KTM dealers wanted to use cheap oil for the service. It's difficult to understand how this kind of bad service is accepted by the management.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Big wing Kanchanaburi is great, and one of the best I have visited and serviced my bike. Give them a call and ask. 

Thanks! But Kanchanaburi is a bit too far from Bangkok for a service. (though it's a nice city and the province has some amazing roads) 

50 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the details about that bike. But most importantly make sure they use the recommended oil, maybe synthetic oil, see manual.

Maybe also print out the details about that 12k service from your manual. Like, what work should be done, fluids changes, etc.

Give them the list and tell them you want that all of that is done.

And when you get your invoice, and there are not at least a couple of gaskets listed, then you know they probably didn't do what they should have done.

I have a KTM Duke 390 and a couple of authorized KTM dealers wanted to use cheap oil for the service. It's difficult to understand how this kind of bad service is accepted by the management.

Well, I'm looking for a workshop where the mechanics know what oil to use and what parts they have to change. It's a standard service, after all - Honda has detailed internal guidelines for exactly what needs to be done for each service.

I've owned a KTM Duke 790, and there shouldn't be any debate about what oil to use. KTM partners with Motorex, and any authorized KTM dealer uses Motorex oil (in Europe that is). I'm surprised KTM dealers in Thailand use a different oil. I guess future services will be even more challenging for you, now that KTM is leaving the Thailand market.

11 minutes ago, MixPiano said:

Thanks! But Kanchanaburi is a bit too far from Bangkok for a service. (though it's a nice city and the province has some amazing roads) 

I used to go 213km one way for my service on my bikes 😉

If you not used to go far with your bike, any official Honda shop would do most likely. They are ok and useally ask what kind of oil you use, or want. However I have experienced loose bolts and nuts they did not check, and it could have led to dissaster if I didnt manage to discover them myself. Even I asked for them to check everything every time and even paid them an extra hour to do so. 

while mounting my big bike, they forgot to use "loctite" on critical bolts, and  they eventually came loose. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MixPiano said:

Well, I'm looking for a workshop where the mechanics know what oil to use and what parts they have to change. It's a standard service, after all - Honda has detailed internal guidelines for exactly what needs to be done for each service.

I've owned a KTM Duke 790, and there shouldn't be any debate about what oil to use. KTM partners with Motorex, and any authorized KTM dealer uses Motorex oil (in Europe that is). I'm surprised KTM dealers in Thailand use a different oil. I guess future services will be even more challenging for you, now that KTM is leaving the Thailand market.

After I tried every KTM shop which I could find in Bangkok, I found a little independent shop. The owner Japanese-Thai, seems to know what he is doing.

What I reported above happened in all KTM shops for the last couple of years - after Burn Rubber stopped importing them.

I still like my KTM, but the available service is just bad.

With the service manual and the list, yes, every authorized shop should have that list, and it's easy to get. But it seems they are used to customers who want it cheap and the stamp for the service and that's it. IMHO buying an expensive bike and then buying cheap oil is just very stupid.

I also love KTM and was considering the 390 Duke as a city bike here. But KTMs usually have their share of problems; for example, every 790 experiences oil and coolant loss. These are known problems in Europe and are easily fixed under warranty. But I didn't want to have such issues here in Thailand, so I decided to go for a Honda instead, as they are usually super reliable.

But from a riding pleasure perspective, nothing beats a KTM 😀

7 hours ago, MixPiano said:

Just take to a Honda dealer is your safest bet, and ask to change the oil and check everything. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input. I'll most likely go with one of the MC Racing Honda shops. They have a few branches in central Bangkok, which are easy for me to reach.