Doing my Thai tax return myself

Hi all

I file a tax return in Thailand for some rental income I earn.  That's my only income liable to tax in Thailand (i'm not resident).  A thai tax consultant does this for me twice a year and charges 3000 each time.  It's a piece of p*ss.  I give them the rental income, they take a flat deduction and there are about one or two boxes that need to complete.  I can't read thai but know the boxes that need to be completed.  A thai friend could help me with this anyway.  My question is: how do i set up a thai tax account so I can file my returns due?  Is it straightforward do you need to wait for PINs to arrive in the post etc.  Paying my tax has either been through the consultant or directly using QR codes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2024 at 2:55 PM, Dan SG said:

Hi all

I file a tax return in Thailand for some rental income I earn.  That's my only income liable to tax in Thailand (i'm not resident).  A thai tax consultant does this for me twice a year and charges 3000 each time.  It's a piece of p*ss.  I give them the rental income, they take a flat deduction and there are about one or two boxes that need to complete.  I can't read thai but know the boxes that need to be completed.  A thai friend could help me with this anyway.  My question is: how do i set up a thai tax account so I can file my returns due?  Is it straightforward do you need to wait for PINs to arrive in the post etc.  Paying my tax has either been through the consultant or directly using QR codes.

You will already have a tax id

• Agree 2

On 7/14/2024 at 2:55 PM, Dan SG said:

Hi all

If you file a PND 90/91, set up an account with your e-mail address and tax ID at the link below and e-file next year by 15 March.  I e-filed my 2023 return successfully in January with the deductions automatically being entered.   Huge improvement after filing a paper returns in person while working for a BOI for years

If you are married to a Thai, you can also enter that individuals Thai ID into your account and get that deduction (if they don't file their own / have income).

https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-cms/

Hope this helps!

Edited by Expat4life66

You do it online now.

As you already seems to pay income tax as tax-resident, you'll have a TIN. You might even already have an online account, if not, you can open access to the tax return-system. The RD-homepage is HERE.

When filling the tax return, you can select English; however, roll down menus are still opens in Thai language.

13 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Go to your local Revenue Dept. They will do it for you NC

Yes, great idea, every Farang in Thailand take their tax details to the RD and ask them to do their tax return for them... 5555

On 7/16/2024 at 4:29 PM, khunPer said:

You do it online now.

As you already seems to pay income tax as tax-resident, you'll have a TIN. You might even already have an online account, if not, you can open access to the tax return-system. The RD-homepage is HERE.

When filling the tax return, you can select English; however, roll down menus are still opens in Thai language.

Thanks.  I don't file as a resident; i file as someone who has income assessable to tax in thailand as its deemed sourced in thailand (rental of a property).  

On 7/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, Expat4life66 said:

you file a PND 90/91, set up an account with your e-mail address and tax ID at the link below and e-file next year by 15 March.  I e-filed my 2023 return successfully in January with the deductions automatically being entered.   Huge improvement after filing a paper returns in person while working for a BOI for years

Thanks...i don't see any english instructions how to set up an account or if I have a tax id can i just file this without an account?

10 minutes ago, Dan SG said:

Thanks...i don't see any english instructions how to set up an account or if I have a tax id can i just file this without an account?

If you tax guy has already been filing for you, you already have a tax account and a TIN, you should ask him what the number is but it will almost certainly be on the copies of any tax returns that he gives you. I get that you file as non-resident for tax purposes, because your income arises inside Thailand but you are not tax resident.

29 minutes ago, Dan SG said:

Your browser can automatically translate, if it isn't, try Chrome.  

https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-cms/register

Go to the bottom of the page and click apply for membership.

When the page below comes up, it is asking you to enter your tax ID and do a Captcha.  If you have google translate on your phone, you can point your camera at Thai language text and it will automatically translate.

If you don't want to use the now mandatory e-file system, you can go to a Revenue office and depending on the office, they will either do what you are paying an agent to do or tell you to hire an agent and not be bothered to help you.  

image.png.4907b296af7a553cb43a89908f9cba95.png

Thanks all.  Related question - do you do an interim return after 6 months? i've been doing that but I never have anything to pay at that point.  Is it mandatory?

12 hours ago, Expat4life66 said:

Your browser can automatically translate, if it isn't, try Chrome.  

https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-cms/register

Go to the bottom of the page and click apply for membership.

When the page below comes up, it is asking you to enter your tax ID and do a Captcha.  If you have google translate on your phone, you can point your camera at Thai language text and it will automatically translate.

If you don't want to use the now mandatory e-file system, you can go to a Revenue office and depending on the office, they will either do what you are paying an agent to do or tell you to hire an agent and not be bothered to help you.  

image.png.4907b296af7a553cb43a89908f9cba95.png

Thank you....I didn't think of that option, this is very helpful.

On 7/16/2024 at 7:30 PM, HuaHinNew said:

Yes, great idea, every Farang in Thailand take their tax details to the RD and ask them to do their tax return for them... 5555

I am certain you are trying to be phunny, but ANYONE residing and earning income in Thailand - Thai or foreigner - can go to the local tax office and have them do their tax return.  For free.

1 hour ago, Dan SG said:

Thanks all.  Related question - do you do an interim return after 6 months? i've been doing that but I never have anything to pay at that point.  Is it mandatory?

You file once a year in the January to March window if you have regular income like interest or wages every month.  

The exception to this is what I did a couple of years ago with a one-time event / payment.  Retired in X Year, filed that return in Jan X+1 Year and in X+1 year received a seperate payment for my final pro-rated bonus from X year.  In that case, I filed the X+1 return seperately after income was received.   In my case I e-filed in April shortly after I received the payment because I was no longer a BOI employee and fell under regular Thai rules / rates (PND91).  I know people that have waited to file until the following year with no adverse effect.  I just wanted to be done with it and not risk forgetting.

Edited by Expat4life66

On 7/20/2024 at 12:08 PM, Dan SG said:

Thanks.  I don't file as a resident; i file as someone who has income assessable to tax in thailand as its deemed sourced in thailand (rental of a property).  

You still needs a TIN; so, you should be able to do it online.