Bangkok Bank locked savings account receiving direct deposits from US social security

Bangkok Bank has locked the savings account through which I received monthly SSA payments via direct deposit from Bangkok Bank New York. I went down to talk to my local bank branch manager and she said I can still make withdrawals or transfers from the account in person, but that online transfers visa website or phone app, as well as ATM withdrawals, were forbidden as of May 27 this year. She called the central office in Silom at my request, and the staff person she spoke with there confirmed that's the way it is from now on.

I have a friend in Bangkok who also takes SSA direct deposit from BKK Bank New York, but his account hasn't been locked. 

I don't mind going in person every month, but it means that whenever I travel out of Thailand, I can't access the money online or at ATMs, which makes it difficult for maintaining travel expenses. 

Anyone else here faced this issue? I've searched the forums to see if there's already a thread on this but haven't found anything.

Edited by sabaijai
grammar

I was just able to move some money from my BKK Bank direct deposit (US Soc Sec account) to my BKK Bank savings account.  Not that it should matter, but I'm in Phuket.

• Agree 1

Thanks. My friend also has free online access. I'm thinking I need to visit the central Silom branch and see if there has been some kind of error, even though it was explained to me at great length that this was a new policy enacted on 27 May. I'm the only SSA-receiver I know who has had this happen so maybe there's been some kind of mixup.

4 minutes ago, sabaijai said:

...it was explained to me at great length that this was a new policy enacted on 27 May. I'm the only SSA-receiver I know who has had this happen so maybe there's been some kind of mixup.

I hope it's just a mix-up. I don't want to have to go to the bank.  Having said that, when I started the account, I was under the impression from reading about it that I would not have access to my money except in person.  The staff at the bank were not at all helpful. It was as if they'd never done this before. This was the main branch in Phuket Town!  It all worked out, but geez. 

I wish you luck! 🤞🤞

I don't understand why your bank has done that?  Is it because of a security concern related to on-line transactions, or something to do with your direct payments from US?

I do all my banking on line, and have not been to my branch for years (the actual branch actually closed a year ago too).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I think a key thing here is why BBL locked the account. banks seem to do this without consideration for the problems it might cause.

The account is not locked, it can be accessed by visiting the branch

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Galong said:

I was just able to move some money from my BKK Bank direct deposit (US Soc Sec account) to my BKK Bank savings account.  Not that it should matter, but I'm in Phuket.

Is your deposit coming from New York (ACH) or is it an IDD deposit, I have the ACH method and I can only withdraw in person

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Galong said:

I hope it's just a mix-up. I don't want to have to go to the bank.  Having said that, when I started the account, I was under the impression from reading about it that I would not have access to my money except in person.  The staff at the bank were not at all helpful. It was as if they'd never done this before. This was the main branch in Phuket Town!  It all worked out, but geez. 

I wish you luck! 🤞🤞

I am going to guess that your money isn't coming from BKK NY,but through the IDD transfer route which doesn't have the same restrictions. I have ACH with restrictions, wife has IDD with no restrictions

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

From what I have read about this, it seems that many members have the same problem, which only affects those SSc accounts that transfer via ACH at BBL NY. Direct Deposits of US SSc to Thai based banks is not affected.

you are correct on that

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

Is your deposit coming from New York (ACH) or is it an IDD deposit, I have the ACH method and I can only withdraw in person

It's been a few years. I don't know how to check on the which method it uses, but I think it's IDD.  I don't recall anything on the paperwork that mentioned New York.

It was a hassle setting up because of the staff that really didn't seem to know what they were doing, but once done, it's been flawless. I probably shouldn't say that. 🤐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

The account is not locked, it can be accessed by visiting the branch

...but you can't pay using the app......................

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

But if you deposit the funds into your US account and then do an ACH transfer, that could continue indefinitely with a third party using your debit card and nobody would know.

I gave SSA my Thai address but my benefit is deposited into a US bank.  I just received, signed and returned the 7162 form.   SSA will certainly stop the benefits eventually if I don’t return the form .

It is the recipient’s address that SSA has on file that triggers the 7162 mailing.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I gave SSA my Thai address but my benefit is deposited into a US bank.  I just received, signed and returned the 7162 form.   SSA will certainly stop the benefits eventually if I don’t return the form .

It is the recipient’s address that SSA has on file that triggers the 7162 mailing.

It almost has to be the fact that you gave your Thai address to the SSA that triggered the 7162 (proof of life) form. It makes sense that they would have an easier time proving you're alive or dead in the US than here. 

FYI, I mailed my 7162 form a week ago via Thai post with tracking and it arrived already.  I don't see a need to go full-on registered mail or anything like that as no one on the other end seems to ever actually sign for the letter. I've done that in the past. It simply costs more, doesn't get there any faster, and you get no further evidence that it was received than you do by standard air mail with tracking.