Motorcycle taxi drivers brutally beating tourist caught on video

webfact

image.jpeg

In a distressing incident at Phuket, three motorcycle taxi drivers were captured on video brutally beating a tourist until he lost consciousness. The attack occurred in the early hours around 3 a.m. outside Central Patong, a popular shopping area.

The violent episode was documented in a 20-second clip shared by Phuket Information Center, stirring outrage and concern among locals and visitors alike.

The footage clearly shows three individuals, identified as local motorcycle taxi drivers, aggressively attacking a male tourist. Kicks and punches were dealt, rendering the tourist unconscious by the roadside. The situation momentarily de-escalated when another male tourist attempted to intervene, only for the attackers to walk away when a female tourist also approached the scene to assist the injured man.

Social media users have expressed vehement criticism towards the attackers, highlighting fears about safety, the potential impact on the tourism industry, and the apparent disregard for law and public image during a critical time for Phuket's recovery amidst COVID-19. Many are calling for immediate action to address the worsening perception of safety in the popular tourist destination.

The incident raises significant concerns about the enforcement of regulations governing motorcycle taxi operations and the measures in place to ensure tourist safety. Urgent calls for a thorough investigation and suitable disciplinary actions against the perpetrators are dominating discussions, as both locals and tourists demand reassurances that such violence won't be tolerated.

This event not only spotlights the need for stricter oversight of informal transport services but also puts pressure on local authorities to restore confidence in Phuket's tourism sector, ensuring such brutal assaults don't recur and tarnish the island's reputation further.

Picture courtesy: AMARIN TV

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

let's flip that shall we..

what about the motorbikes driving on the sidewalks as they always do?

should the pedestrians just accept it because TIT??

bob.

How about folks just mind their own business and avoid mischief by staying out of other people’s way. Of course there’s no excuse for any of it. But there’s always a reaction to every action.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The footage clearly shows three individuals, identified as local motorcycle taxi drivers, aggressively attacking a male tourist. Kicks and punches were dealt, rendering the tourist unconscious by the roadside.

Three aginst one, couldn't they found a couple of more guys to help them out, they could have binroken a couple of fingernails in the mayhem.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, bob smith said:
22 minutes ago, novacova said:

The guy just randomly attacked a tourist for absolutely no reason at all, yeah okay whatever.

happens all the time

All the time?  A couple of times over several years would be more accurate.

• Confused 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, novacova said:

How about folks just mind their own business and avoid mischief by staying out of other people’s way

are you literally talking about pedestrians walking on a sidewalk being in the way of moto taxi drivers?

please tell me that's not what you meant....

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I see it quite regularly and I ALWAYS help tourists on the street when I see they are about to be scammed or taken advantage of in some way.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Taxi drivers in Phuket are mindless thugs.

I have witnessed many such acts of violence aimed at tourists down there and most of it was without provocation.

now go on, tell me I'm lying..

bob.

Yeah sure, I wouldn’t argue with that. But some folks who aren’t street-smart really shouldn’t be getting into it with strangers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I have witnessed many such acts of violence aimed at tourists down there and most of it was without provocation.

now go on, tell me I'm lying..

"...most of it was without provocation".

Without specifics, and evidence, clearly there's a 100% chance that you are lying.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NowNow said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wrong

Really?   Got something empirical to back up that assertion?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The problem is they know next to nothing will happen to them, I have even heard them joke about giving a farang good kicking, just go down the police station and pay my 500 baht, 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I see it quite regularly and I ALWAYS help tourists on the street when I see they are about to be scammed or taken advantage of in some way.

Who mentioned scams?  You responded "Happens all the time" to...

"The guy just randomly attacked a tourist for absolutely no reason at all".  You do not see that regularly, never mind "all the time", if you have, be specific about all those completely unprovoked attacks that you've assisted with.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

The provocation is the scam being perpetrated. Would that not be the 'trigger point' for the tourist to exclaim verbally?

Does that make it okay for him to be attacked after being scammed in the first place? Too many foreigners who have gone 'native' here.

No... It does not, not at all - there is no condoning of violence at all.

But, there is an understanding amongst 'most' who've been here any length of time that there should be no reaction at all to these guys...

..... we seen it too many times - Foreigner attacked with machete over 50 baht... etc

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...most of it was without provocation".

Without specifics, and evidence, clearly there's a 100% chance that you are lying.

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

The provocation is the scam being perpetrated. Would that not be the 'trigger point' for the tourist to exclaim verbally?

Does that make it okay for him to be attacked after being scammed in the first place? Too many foreigners who have gone 'native' here.

What many folks don’t understand is, reacting to a negative action has the propensity to escalate the situation, no matter where in the world it occurs. The white knight syndrome is silly from the perspective of anyone who has any bit of being street smart.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, novacova said:

What many folks don’t understand is, reacting to a negative action has the propensity to escalate the situation, no matter where in the world it occurs. The white knight syndrome is silly from the perspective of anyone who has any bit of being street smart.

Can you explain 'white knight syndrome' in the context of what you have written? It make no sense at all.

Edited by NowNow