11 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

The Chinese vlogger defamed Thailand in one of her YouTube videos. She also sold jewelry online and hence that was the easiest way of getting rid of her. I don't know if she sold the jewelry to Chinese living in Thailand or only to those in China but this activity clearly goes beyond what a digital nomad is supposed to do as she was physically involved in carrying out tangible activities that would be considered work (such as mailing items to clients) and accepting payment for them.

VERY different to someone working from their bedroom or home office on a desktop or laptop, writing emails and holding Zoom meetings for a foreign company, not otherwise getting into trouble with Thai law and obviously NOT engaging in illegal activities such as operating an online gambling operation.

Sending an email and sending a letter (jewelry doesn't need big, bulky packages) by snail mail isn't such a big difference. 

And as for "defamed Thailand" - 555

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Presnock said:

BOI specifically said I could get a work permit - they would assist - wealthy pensioner LTR holder.  funny how all the folks that don't even have a particular visa want all to think that they are the experts for that particular visa.  Have a good day.

Coming back again after 2 weeks to debate this again are we? Try to get a work permit while you have a LTR visa based on being a wealthy pensioner and see what happens. Who is going to be the Thai company that hires you? Do you think you can just walk into BOI and say "I have an LTR visa and please issue me a digital work permit to do work as I see fit" Go ahead and try it!!!

12 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Coming back again after 2 weeks to debate this again are we? Try to get a work permit while you have a LTR visa based on being a wealthy pensioner and see what happens. Who is going to be the Thai company that hires you? Do you think you can just walk into BOI and say "I have an LTR visa and please issue me a digital work permit to do work as I see fit" Go ahead and try it!!!

Actually, that is what the rep there has told several of us but as for me as I mentioned it is a moot point anyway as I have no plans to ever work again.  Enjoy the day!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Actually, that is what the rep there has told several of us but as for me as I mentioned it is a moot point anyway as I have no plans to ever work again.  Enjoy the day!

lol. You have no plans to work again, but you keep coming back to a forum to debate a point that is totally wrong. The topic was long ago forgotten until you came back. This just proves my point about old retired guys debating topics in the forum that are not even relevant to them. They just do it to pass the time. Thanks again for this though.......How can you get as work permit without being employed by a registered entity in Thailand? Wow, I guess you went into the MOL as a big group to ask this question. Further ,this topic is about the DTV and you cannot get a work permit on that visa. 

Edited by wmlc
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, wmlc said:

lol. You have no plans to work again, but you keep coming back to a forum to debate a point that is totally wrong. The topic was long ago forgotten until you came back. This just proves my point about old retired guys debating topics in the forum that are not even relevant to them. They just do it to pass the time. Thanks again for this though.......How can you get as work permit without being employed by a registered entity in Thailand? Wow, I guess you went into the MOL as a big group to ask this question. 

Well, itis you people that don't even have a particular visa that claim all different kinds of false information.  You were told by others holding the LTR too about their experience with the BOI folks.  Have a good one.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Well, itis you people that don't even have a particular visa that claim all different kinds of false information.  You were told by others holding the LTR too about their experience with the BOI folks.  Have a good one.

But me and my office work with the government everyday to obtain these visas and work permits for clients so I think we know better than an old retired guy. Now go back to sipping your coffee and call Joe Biden. You two can relate very well to each other. 

Edited by wmlc

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Sending an email and sending a letter (jewelry doesn't need big, bulky packages) by snail mail isn't such a big difference. 

And as for "defamed Thailand" - 555

It is.

Sending an email that has nothing to do with Thailand is hugely different from selling jewelry presumably to clients within Thailand. The latter is clearly working from Thailand.

She got caught for making Thailand look bad. As you probably know, defamation is a criminal offense in Thailand and foreigners that make the country look bad are deported. 

The easiest way to do so, is find something else to charge them with, because it's an automatic and quick deportation that way.

She was also blacklisted by the way. Essentially all for saying bad things about the Kingdom. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2024 at 2:29 PM, LivinLOS said:

90 day reports are needed, but if you dont extend who and when will they police them ?? 

Same with TM30s tho with the new rules on TM30s being 'once per visa' and not to be redone after a hotel stay you can do one TM30 at the first day of entry and have that be valid for 5 years you remain at one address. 

What are you talking about? Each immigration office has different rules on the TM30. Some require a new one each and every time you've spent time in another province and are resuming residence at your usual place. Others only when you come back from a trip abroad (including a short border run). Others still, in both cases.

There's no general rule like you claim. 

Just now, Tomtomtom69 said:

What are you talking about? Each immigration office has different rules on the TM30. Some require a new one each and every time you've spent time in another province and are resuming residence at your usual place. Others only when you come back from a trip abroad (including a short border run). Others still, in both cases.

There's no general rule like you claim. 

That's not correct, there are laws in place about the TM30 that are followed by everyone. The issue we see is that when doing your 90 day report online, some get rejected because of issues with the TM30. Then people think the TM30 rules are all different for each IO. Not true. 

2 minutes ago, wmlc said:

That's not correct, there are laws in place about the TM30 that are followed by everyone. The issue we see is that when doing your 90 day report online, some get rejected because of issues with the TM30. Then people think the TM30 rules are all different for each IO. Not true. 

NO. There are differences in how various IOs want TM30s to be done..

Some only need one done once a year or whenever their extension is due. Others need a new one each time you return from abroad or another province.

This is a fact. 

Many IOs are going back to the dark old days of 2019 and doing things the harshest possible way, because they can. 

Nothing you say changes that. Maybe your IO is more flexible. Others are stricter.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

presumably

You presume that. 

I don't. 

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

defamation is a criminal offense in Thailand and foreigners that make the country look bad are deported. 

Wow, great news!

So Pattaya is deserted now, Soi Buakhao all empty,  Soi 6 is only girls!

Why didn't you tell me earlier,  tomorrow I will travel to the now pristine beaches of Pattaya.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I got the DTV and will be staying with my gf in Chiang Mai for about 75 days. We will then travel abroad and come back and I will stay with her for another 75 days on the DTV. But during the time in Thailand we might also make short trips to other provinces. I won't require a visit to immigration for any extension of my visa. How does that work with the TM30? Is it even worth it to bother with getting one? In all honesty I stayed with her last year and this year for a total of about 50 days and never got any TM30, since we weren't aware of its existence. Nobody's ever said anything, but I suppose that's cause I didn't visit the immigration office. Is the only thing that could happen a 1600 THB fine, and is this likely to be applied even for periods in the past? To be honest the fine is so low that it beats figuring out the bureaucracy around getting a TM30 and possibly getting a new one if I leave the country or province for a few days.

8 hours ago, JimmyTobacco said:

Question: I got the DTV and will be staying with my gf in Chiang Mai for about 75 days. We will then travel abroad and come back and I will stay with her for another 75 days on the DTV. But during the time in Thailand we might also make short trips to other provinces. I won't require a visit to immigration for any extension of my visa. How does that work with the TM30? Is it even worth it to bother with getting one? In all honesty I stayed with her last year and this year for a total of about 50 days and never got any TM30, since we weren't aware of its existence. Nobody's ever said anything, but I suppose that's cause I didn't visit the immigration office. Is the only thing that could happen a 1600 THB fine, and is this likely to be applied even for periods in the past? To be honest the fine is so low that it beats figuring out the bureaucracy around getting a TM30 and possibly getting a new one if I leave the country or province for a few days.

I can't speak for the specifics of any immigration office, but my experience is typically one only needs to show the TM30 when one needs to visit some (not all) immigration offices.

Even thou one does not plan to visit an immigration office, sometimes fate can throw a curve at one, and an unexpected requirement to visit immigration (however remote) could occur. Its when that happens that one may (immigration office dependent) then need to scramble to produce a TM30.  Hence I typically have my Thai wife do a TM30 for me all the time.

As to checking past records for TM30 - if one creates the TM30 over the internet, I assume then that TM30 record is kept in the immigration system. But if one does such by postal mail (?) or in person at immigration with the filled in form ??  I don't know if immigration will put such in their computer.  I suspect they should.

If one is traveling and staying with friends, I think would think it pretty difficult for Thai immigration to keep track of whether TM30s were submitted. If however one stays in a hotel, then the Hotels (using one's passport information) are supposed to do a TM30.  Hence immigration could then see a record of of a TM30 in their computer database for such a hotel stay.  Will they then check to see if there are more TM30s after than one hotel TM30 ?  I don't know. They could. But it would take time, and if an immigration office is busy, I suspect they would not bother to check the past.

I suspect there will be others on this forum with a superior view/assessment here.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:13 AM, Presnock said:

BOI specifically said I could get a work permit - they would assist - wealthy pensioner LTR holder.  funny how all the folks that don't even have a particular visa want all to think that they are the experts for that particular visa.  Have a good day.

Your not reading him.. 

The OP falls under the work from Thailand professional category and can't get a digital work permit for that category.

You can not obtain a work permit on the work from Thailand professional category, for your non Thai work. There has to be a Thai employer to obtain a work permit. 

Which means someone who is on the wealthy pensioner who wishes to work in Thailand, can apply for a work permit for that work which they do for a Thai entity but not for work done for a non Thai entity. 

On 8/8/2024 at 6:32 AM, Tomtomtom69 said:

It is.

Sending an email that has nothing to do with Thailand is hugely different from selling jewelry presumably to clients within Thailand. The latter is clearly working from Thailand.

She got caught for making Thailand look bad. As you probably know, defamation is a criminal offense in Thailand and foreigners that make the country look bad are deported. 

The easiest way to do so, is find something else to charge them with, because it's an automatic and quick deportation that way.

She was also blacklisted by the way. Essentially all for saying bad things about the Kingdom. 

So how about the teacher working online ?? Not paid in Thailand no Thai clients. Arrested, processed through the IDC and deported. 

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:02 AM, LivinLOS said:

So how about the teacher working online ?? Not paid in Thailand no Thai clients. Arrested, processed through the IDC and deported.

His neighbors told the cops to get rid of him for them, so they dug up an antiquated law to use for convenience. 

16 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

His neighbors told the cops to get rid of him for them, so they dug up an antiquated law to use for convenience. 

If it was like this LivinLos is basically right. 

Of course,  if nobody complains about you you can always do whatever you want. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:02 AM, LivinLOS said:

Nonsense.

Anyway, why revisit the past? It's legal now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2024 at 8:18 AM, Tomtomtom69 said:

Nonsense.

Anyway, why revisit the past? It's legal now...

Only on a DTV (and possibly LTR tho it isnt clearly exempted in the Royal gazette publications for the LTR) it is not 'generally' legal. 

Also what is nonsense.. These cases have been very public knowledge to anyone who looks. 

On 8/24/2024 at 9:23 PM, Rob Browder said:

Possibly.. But that clearly shows you the law exists doesnt it ?? 

You cannot be charged for a crime that is not a crime. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Possibly.. But that clearly shows you the law exists doesnt it ?? 

You cannot be charged for a crime that is not a crime. 

Every so often, the news reports on laws "still on the books" in the USA - regarding things like where it is "legal" to "park" a horse.  This is in that category. 

No Thai benefits if a remote-worker crosses into Laos or Cambodia, to continue working there, instead of spending their earnings in Thailand.