Irish footballer fights for his life after bike crash in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

An Irish footballer from Cork, in the Republic of Ireland, is battling for his life after a catastrophic cycling accident in Thailand. The horrific crash on Saturday, July 13, left the Tramore Athletic Football Club goalkeeper with severe injuries, prompting an outpouring of support that has raised over 46,000 euros (around 1 million baht) in just hours.

Rushed to Phuket Hospital, the Irishman, David Horgan’s condition was dire. Doctors discovered extensive facial and cranial damage, including a brain bleed, a deep forehead gash, multiple broken teeth, and a series of major fractures. The GoFundMe page, set up to assist with his mounting medical bills, paints a grim picture.

A long-standing figure in Cork’s soccer community, Horgan has been with Tramore since childhood. His club, devastated by the news, issued a heartfelt plea:

“We are reaching out to all of our members past and present, the local community in Douglas, Turners Cross and beyond, and the wider Cork sporting community. Our senior goalkeeper David Horgan was involved in a single-person bike accident over the weekend in Thailand.”

The club’s statement reflects the widespread shock and urgency felt across Cork, reported Sunday World.

The GoFundMe page further underscores the gravity of the situation:

“The medical expenses are mounting quickly, and we kindly ask for your help to ensure that David receives the best possible care. David is a beloved friend, family member, teammate, boyfriend, and colleague. Known for his kindness, generosity, and unwavering spirit, we are devastated by this accident and are doing everything we can to support him during this incredibly challenging time.”

In related news, a lifelong Doncaster Rovers devotee met a devastating end in Thailand, but his family is rallying for a heartfelt homage – with Wembley dreams in their sights. The family of a die-hard fan who tragically perished in a bike crash horror abroad is now fervently hoping for a Wembley win as the ultimate tribute.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Sunday World

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's weird. 

I had a working visa for the UK in my 20's, travelled around US, UK and Europe, ended up in Thailand and Bali, always had insurance. 

I was always on a budget. 

I suppose it's the same people who own a car or house, don't have it insured, I could never do that. 

I've always had some form of insurance too... sometimes only 3rd party to cover me if I damage an expensive vehicle. 

Luckily I've never had to claim.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why do people come here uninsured? 

Because there are always other people who will pay their medical bills - GoFundMe etc.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The article says he was cycling. 

I expect it was a bicycle. 

Actually, it does not.

The article states a bike accident.

I have always referred to motosai and motorcycles as....BIKE/BIKES.

For example:  A Bike Gang

Do you think that desperate Bike Gangs ride around on bicycles???

BIKES should be banned in Thailand.

Bicycles should be encouraged.

BIKES without mufflers should be compressed into CUBES, using car crushing machines.

(Oh NO.  The guy was cycling.  So then, it was a bicycle he was on, and not a BIKE.  What a true tragedy for the guy!)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

It says cycling so a bicycle not motorcycle 

Yes, was already corrected by another and I updated my post. But thanks for chiming in 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, john donson said:

people don't read... who wears a full face bike helmet for a bicycle ?  you need insurance too ?

I read two times - "bike" an ambiguous term. And since motorcycle accidents are the extremely commonly reported sorts of "bike" accidents here, I did jump to that conclusion. I didn't read the caption for the picture, since normally that isn't where vital information for understanding an article is normally put. And of course that's the only place where one could get the understanding that he was riding a bicycle.
People read, you just don't give grace to people who might miss one word, especially one in an adjunct part of a piece....
I've also already been given a decently framed correction and edited my comment. No need for unreasonable comments from the peanut gallery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

article quite incomplete about accident details.....

'Single person accident', so I assume he crashed by himself, hit his head, and as I well know, your memory is gone for a certain amount of time. So he probably can't tell what happened.

Could have been a pothole, a soi dog, front fork of the bike broke, anything really.

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Actually, it does not.

The article states a bike accident.

I have always referred to motosai and motorcycles as....BIKE/BIKES.

For example:  A Bike Gang

Do you think that desperate Bike Gangs ride around on bicycles???

BIKES should be banned in Thailand.

Bicycles should be encouraged.

BIKES without mufflers should be compressed into CUBES, using car crushing machines.

It actually does say that he was "cycling", thus one can deduce that he was highly likely to be on a bicycle. But I made the same mistake and this guy was correcting me. I didn't read the caption to the photo, which is the only place in the article that gives you a clue that it was not a motorcycle accident. I'm guessing you didn't read that part either. Normally photo captions aren't the only place a writer would put vital information to understand an article.... Also, the term "bike" shouldn't be used unless the context is clear as to whether it is referring to a motorcycle or a bicycle. In this case, the context was not clear, since a photo caption would not be considered as a part of the text, but only an adjunct to it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why do people come here uninsured? 

Some insurance companies do not cover motor cycle riding accidents, and many do not realise that, especially if they do not hold a MC licence in their country or an international permit to ride/drive.

• Confused 2

50 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Budget travelers.

And the implications of the negligence and don’t give a s - - t attitude of these people greatly affects us all.

It is time for airlines to check that travellers have the appropriate travel insurance before letting them on the plane, they check passports for blemishes etc etc so a simple letter from one’s insurance company outlining the level of cover is all that is required for onward travel.

These irresponsible people think nothing of spending a large amount of money on beer of an evening but will not spend as little as £70 on travel insurance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Some insurance companies do not cover motor cycle riding accidents, and many do not realise that, especially if they do not hold a MC licence in their country or an international permit to ride/drive.

The OP doesn't say anything about a motorcycle. It says cycle.

It really needs confirmation if it was a bicycle or a m'bike.

M'bikes are not big in Ireland, so I doubt he had a m'bike license, and if he was on one likely the insurance ( if he had any ) void.

• Agree 1