Applying for US SS retirement from abroad just got notice about a phone call verification

I (native US citizen)  applied last October for SS retirement benefits based solely on US past work history. Just got a notice that they will FINALLY  be contacting me first of August to verify application and say what documents would need to be sent.

Anyone who has applied from Thailand for your benefits based on US work history and dealing with the manilla office specifically I would be interested in hearing about your phonbe call application: 

1) Is this a really short phone call or will you have the chance to ask them some questions (I did not apply for Medicare yet as I have access to Thai SS health insurance but things have changed mother diagnosed with cancer so will be going back early next year for few months or more and need to know what documentation (about foreign health insurance verification) you need to get for a special sign up date without incurring a financial penalty for not signing up at 65).

2) What type of docs did they they request you to send? The US work history which my claim is based on ended at least 15 years ago.

3) How soon after your call did you receive the approval letter for benefits?  Did benefits start one month after that letter?

I had tried several times over the past 8 monts to call and got tired of waiting online so hung up. They never responded to my emails so very surprised to finally get this message but very happy. Previously I told my mother I would come in October for 1 month as I could only get travel insurance to US at my age for one month for a somewhat reasonable fee...if I get my benefits started soon this could change my timings.

I didn’t apply from Thailand. I was in the U.S.  Anyway, the call probably won’t take too long.  I think they just want to verify a few things to make sure it’s really you.  Ask them anything you want.  If they don’t know the answer, they’ll tell you where to look.

During the telephone interview Manila will basically talk/confirm the data/info you would put on the online application form.   Stuff like confirming your address/contact info, basic info on your spouse (if married)....basically just covering what you submitted on your online application.  The call will proabably take about 15 minutes.  I've went thru 4 of the calls over the last half dozen or so years....one call for me, one for my wife, and two for a couple of my dual citizen (American/Thai) neighbors.

Since you are citizen by birth they may not require you to send them your current U.S. passport or certified true copy (you can get a certified copy from the US Embassy Bangkok and maybe the US Consulate Chiang Mai by inperson visit or by mail.    They will want to know which bank you want your monthly benefit direct deposited to and may require a copy of the Direct Deposit form.    I highly recomend that your DO NOT mail your original passport to avoid the possibility of it going MIA in the mail system going or coming back...instead, send a certified true copy if it is requested.   But if your are brave and do send your original use FedEx as it will arrive Manila in approx two business....faster and cheaper than using the Thai Postal EMS system which also ends up going thru the Philippines Post System.

After the interview Manila will submit your appliation back to HQ SSA in Baltimore for final approval.   Payment will be based on the month/year you requested your pension begin when you submitted your online application.  Any back payment due should arrive your bank acct within a few weeks of application approval....then your monthly payment will begin....payment is on the 3rd of each month for anyone using a foreign address such as Thailand.

You can ask questions about Medicare and even begin the signup process thru Manila but they will point out Medicare is not useable outside the U.S....but if you still want it for whatever reason(s) they can sign you up.   The Medicare payments would be deducted from your monthly pension payment.

I wish I could help you but I forgot the details by now.

I did apply from abroad.

For some reason I found the need to call the Baltimore office directly.

A phone interview was never scheduled for me and never happened.

They had my work record and I accepted it.

You should start Medicare Part A at age 65. It's free.

If staring with a non US address you will not automatically be getting Part B which costs at least about 170 dollars a month or so.

If you want it which can't be used abroad, you start that via Manilla FB.

On 7/19/2024 at 7:34 PM, Jingthing said:

I wish I could help you but I forgot the details by now.

I did apply from abroad.

For some reason I found the need to call the Baltimore office directly.

A phone interview was never scheduled for me and never happened.

They had my work record and I accepted it.

You should start Medicare Part A at age 65. It's free.

If staring with a non US address you will not automatically be getting Part B which costs at least about 170 dollars a month or so.

If you want it which can't be used abroad, you start that via Manilla FB.

If I’m not mistaken, Part B is a bit more expensive these days.  Still, anyone deciding not to take it should be aware of the penalty for starting it at a later date. 

1 hour ago, jas007 said:

If I’m not mistaken, Part B is a bit more expensive these days.  Still, anyone deciding not to take it should be aware of the penalty for starting it at a later date. 

Standard fee is $174.70 but it increases if higher income.

Yes the penalty for not paying that is 10 percent per year for life.

So if you skip it for 10 years, that's double the fee.

If a person is absolutely certain they won't repatriate, then don't pay it.

The trouble is most people can't really be that certain either way.

It is interesting to note that the penalty for deferring enrollment in Part B is levied only on the base amount and not the base plus the adjustment for higher income.

If one defers enrolling in Part B, the penalty will equal the premium savings after ten years if one only has to pay the base amount.

If one incurs the premium adjustment based upon higher income, the penalty will equal the savings at a later date. 

The spreadsheet is based upon someone filing as a single taxpayer with a ten-year deferral of Part B from age 65.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 8.57.36 PM.png

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

• 2 weeks later...

TO clarify the purpose of your login is to enter MYSSA info web account... The MYSSA is not a person to person secured tool to resolve applications.... verification....  etc... problems dealing inside a pyramid of SSA isolated individually motivated SSA agents available to respond to your personal MYSSA requests.

Agreed your login is good entering IRS and etc your USA GOV file portals, not as a live person communication to problems scattered inside a pyramid files of data, scrutinized. isolated, agent delayed departmental distributed in and out of the SSA pyramid.... FBU MANILA is a remote forwarding SSA.GOV desk and the delays  are six months to a year for SSA.GOV response. Please notice EXPRESS MAIL from ASIA to Baltimore takes abouts 30 days delivery and the mail then returned to Manila FBU regular postal mail  because "we are trying to save money" takes longer and then the paper process begins another cycle...

The NEW Director of USA SSA.GOV,  Commissioner O’Malley. declared a chaos of problems delays inside the SSA pyramid and  recently started revising SSA system. integrate agents together departments scattered  isolated to streamline SSA process your your data history accumulated files.

Microsoft TEAMS was accepted by USA GOV including the SSA.GOV recently and using Artificial Intelligence able to compile and thus connect remote divisions agents to streamline benefits
applications data. For example the last step of SSA payments is at and from USA Treasury, completely isolated from SSA pyramid agents flow, takes ~six months? change to new bank account address...

MS-TEAMS video audio chat is new choice for SSA.GOV direct services and connection to all the SSA derivatives such as the USA Treasury, IRS, etc secured global agent to agent available as needed decisions process.

Imagine if people could easily access all information they need through any channel (online, over phone, text, and

more) and have their own virtual assistant AI COPILOT to help them apply for benefits using natural, language.

Imagine if customer service representatives had access to complete, 360-degree view of the constituent—if it

knew their history and all their previous contacts with every social service agency pyramid of agents.

Boost  workforce productivity. Governments can potentially save time and money using generative AI for scenarios such as live transcriptions and translations during benefit eligibility interviews. AI can also draw

insights more easily from large volumes of history, verification  data, certificates, scattered files.

Embrace “Prevention by Design.” AI can integrate controls into systems to detect fraudulent or erroneous activities and enable real-time profiling and alerts. more than 43,000 fraudulent calls and reduced fraud.

For example, a government department is developing an Intelligent Website AI Assistant to help taxpayers more

easily process their tax returns. It uses natural, everyday language to address queries and disseminate timely

and consistent information. This will help improve compliance and avoid revenue leakages from fraudulent
 activities.
Microsoft TEAMS software       https://www.ssa.gov/marketing/assets/materials/EN-05-10539.pdf