The Notorious Nana Hotel Lobby

12 hours ago, RSD1 said:

The only thing I can say about it is it does still look like one of the few places left in Bangkok that is still stuck in a 70’s time warp

Lots of old hotels in Bangkok that are old.

(Hope my comment is ok with you)

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RSD1 said:

You missed the intended meaning. Read my comment again slowly. 😉

I read it slowly the first time.

I read everything slowly.

I am a slow reader.

I took a speed-reading course, years ago.

They gave me my money back.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Grace has a bowling alley

Screenshot_20240722_142343_Maps.jpg

FFS, more screen captures from your cell phone that nobody needs. Are you going to post photos now from every 2-3 star hotel within a 10 block radius of the Nana Hotel? Since you have nothing better to do, here are 3 more to get you started, make sure you post at least 5 photos from each one:

The Atlanta

The Miami

Ruamchitt Plaza 

• Like 1

I stayed at The Grace Hotel recently. Verdict: a full letter grade up from the Nana, a letter grade down from The Ambassador.

Again, truly zany tailor shop windows. I may do a photo essay. Circa '98, I recall that a lot of mongers were wearing over-tailored shirts. It's sad those peacocks have passed on. 

Bignok alert: All of the milk you wanted at breakfast. Feel free to fill up a whole glass to save money on lunch. Passable gym too.

Save your much-bragged about 40 baht gym admissions to buy your not-really-a-dentist pretend-girlfriend a second meat on a stick.

'Can't fault The Miami: on a great corner, big room, retro pool area.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Grand Tower Inn Rama 6

Thats 9 kilometers away from the Nana Hotel. How is that in any way relevant to the subject of the atmosphere of the Nana Hotel lobby 30-40 years ago?

Why don't you now give us a list of at least 50 more hotels located within any part of Bangkok priced at under 1,000 Baht a night? I'm sure everyone reading this thread came here for just that kind of hard to find information. I'll be awaiting your fine intel with bated breath.  

Edited by RSD1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

Thats 9 kilometers away from the Nana Hotel. How is that in any way relevant to the subject of the atmosphere of the Nana Hotel lobby 30-40 years ago?

why don't you now give us a list of at least 50 more hotels located within any part of Bangkok priced at under 1,000 Baht a night. I'm sure everyone reading this thread came here for just that kind of hard to find information.  

90% of posts aren't going to be precisely about what you want. Hello tailors, grace hotel etc

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

How is that in any way relevant to the subject of the atmosphere of the Nana Hotel lobby 30-40 years ago?

He doesn't love Thailand for its super-unique, layered, lost in time mashed up against crass modernity-vibe.

He's here for a cheap breakfast and to have someone sit on his bogan face.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Edited by Prubangboy

Just now, Prubangboy said:

Here doesn't love Thailand for its super-unique, layered, lost in time mashed up against crass modernity-vibe.

He's here for a cheap breakfast and to have someone sit on his face.

I like a mix of hotels. Siam Grand in Udon has old charm if up that way. Old charming hotels is an interesting topic if not limited to just 1 location.

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

He doesn't love Thailand for its super-unique, layered, lost in time mashed up against crass modernity-vibe.

He's here for a cheap breakfast and to have someone sit on his face.

Sorry, I got a bit lost. Who are you referring to? 

Anyway, a lot to be said for a cheap breakfast if it's good and to have someone sit on your face, if it's good too. Nana Hotel can still probably cover you on both. But most would value that in any city of the world. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Old charming hotels is an interesting topic

Agreed. But this topic is in a very different stratosphere. 

Edited by RSD1
  • Agree 1

I'm making fun of Bignok.

The conversation thing -it seems to elude him. We talk about The Nana Hotel, then we talk about the tailor shop there, then we talk about other tailor shops in other old hotels. To him, this is akin to splitting the atom. 

"What about when I go to a gym for 40 baht?". "Huh?'.

1 minute ago, Real Name Hidden said:

Nana breakfast known for runny eggs

Presumably, lots of runny eggs, all throughout the hotel. 😉

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Agreed. But this topic is in a very different stratosphere. 

So what's it really about? The lobby? The types of guests? Pretty stock standard in those areas. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

I'm making fun of Bignok

Sorry, don't know that person. I don't think there is a member on this site with that username?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, susanlea said:

90% of posts aren't going to be precisely about what you want. Hello tailors, grace hotel etc

No, but they refer to the era and the general location under discussion.

Just accept that you have nothing to contribute as you have no experience of this era.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

So what's it really about? The lobby? The types of guests? Pretty stock standard in those areas. 

I thought my OP was clear:

When was the last time you walked through the Nana Hotel lobby? Was it recently or was it 20+ years ago?

Anyway, if you have anything interesting to share about it then go ahead. If you were never there back in the eighties or nineties then no need to add your rhetorical two satang. 

Your first visit to Thailand was in 2019 and, thus you have no reference. I wouldn't expect you to have anything useful to add to the topic. 

Edited by RSD1
  • Like 1