Insurance for renters

I’m completely new to renting properties in Thailand. Is there such a thing as tenant insurance? For example to cover losses in personal property or liability if someone slips and gets hurt? What insurance, if any, do renters usually take, or is required?

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not required, i doubt many get it. If someone slips and falls i doubt it's the landlords fault

Does landlord cover personal items stolen ?

Many of the major insurers in Thailand offer renters' insurance. It covers loss or damage to personal property of the policyholder as well as third party liability. 

Most leases will state that the landlord is not responsible for loss or damage to the tenant's personal property, but do not require the tenant to take out insurance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I will be the one who’s renting from a landlord.

So if I don’t take tenant insurance, in the case of a heavy storm or flood like last spring’s hail storm in CM which broke windows and let the hail and rain come into the house, obviously I will be responsible for my own personal items. But what about damages to the house, the landlord’s furniture? And in the case the house becomes unlivable for a period of time undergoing repairs, will I be responsible for finding my own accommodations out of my own pocket, while paying the usual rent to the landlord?

On 7/22/2024 at 6:14 PM, Fat Bob said:

But what about damages to the house, the landlord’s furniture? 

Not your problem 

will I be responsible for finding my own accommodations out of my own pocket

while paying the usual rent to the landlord?

Probably. 

I doubt you'll be paying the landlord rent if the house is uninhabitable. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I will be the one who’s renting from a landlord.

So if I don’t take tenant insurance, in the case of a heavy storm or flood like last spring’s hail storm in CM which broke windows and let the hail and rain come into the house, obviously I will be responsible for my own personal items. But what about damages to the house, the landlord’s furniture? And in the case the house becomes unlivable for a period of time undergoing repairs, will I be responsible for finding my own accommodations out of my own pocket, while paying the usual rent to the landlord?

If the damage to the landlord's property is due to factors beyond the tenant's control, for example hail breaking windows that were properly closed, then no. If the tenant negligently leaves a window open and rain enters and damages the landlord's property, the tenant may be liable for repairing or replacing the landlord's property.

Some renters' insurance policies will provide a limited amount of coverage for the policyholder to obtain alternative accommodation after an insured loss renders the premises uninhabitable. I know of one insurer's policy that provides 2,000 baht per day subject to a 90 day or 100,000 baht aggregate limit for temporary accommodation.

Check the rental contract to see what it says about the landlord's duties to maintain the premises or allow the tenant undisturbed possession and use of the premises. Failure of the landlord to do so may give the tenant the right to terminate the contract. 

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu