Prince Harry: Legal Battles with Tabloids Fueled Family Rift

Social Media

image.png.d48d7661cd3a81d52743d4e3d0d8708d.png

The Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, believes that his ongoing legal battles with tabloid newspapers have significantly contributed to the rift within the British royal family. In an ITV documentary titled *Tabloids on Trial*, Harry candidly discusses how his fight for privacy in the courts has impacted his relationship with his family.

Prince Harry explained that his decision to challenge the tabloid press legally was a "central piece" in the deterioration of relations with his family in the UK. When asked whether his legal actions had destroyed the relationship, he affirmed, "Yeah, that’s certainly a central piece to it. But, you know, that’s a hard question to answer because anything I say about my family results in a torrent of abuse from the press."

Harry expressed his desire for a united front against the media, stating, "I’ve made it very clear that this is something that needs to be done. It would be nice if we, you know, did it as a family. I believe that, again, from a service standpoint and when you are in a public role, that these are the things that we should be doing for the greater good. But, you know, I’m doing this for my reasons." When questioned about the royal family’s decision not to engage in similar legal battles, he responded, "I think everything that has played out has shown people what the truth of the matter is. For me, the mission continues, but it has, it has, yes. It’s caused, yeah, as you say, part of a rift."

Prince Harry has long been vocal about his frustration with the royal family’s reluctance to confront the press. He has previously shared that his father, King Charles, warned him that taking on the media would be a "suicide mission." In his memoir *Spare*, Harry criticized what he perceived as the royal family’s complicity with the media through alleged leaks, viewing himself as collateral damage. He wrote scathingly about his father's inaction, highlighting that "the same shoddy bastards who’d portrayed [Charles] as a clown" were now "tormenting and bullying" him and his wife, Meghan.

In December 2023, Harry felt vindicated after winning damages in his hacking case against Mirror Group Newspapers. He remarked at the time, "I had been told that slaying dragons will get you burned," but defiantly added, "The mission continues." Reflecting on the case in the documentary, he described the victory as "huge" and a "monumental victory." He also expressed concerns that his mother, the late Diana, Princess of Wales, might have been an early victim of phone hacking.

The Duke of Sussex, who appears alongside several celebrities in the documentary airing on ITV1 and ITVX, continues to pursue legal actions over privacy against News Group Newspapers and Associated Newspapers. His determination to challenge the press legally remains steadfast, despite the personal and familial costs it has incurred.

Credit: The Guardian 2024-07-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Complete idiot. And I like to consider myself somewhat a royalist.

If they want to restore the monarchy in my country, Charly should resign (declaring his wife queen was the final straw for me giving him any grace) and let his son William bring back some dignity to the family 

• Thanks 1

does writing a book make one a media contributor?

when the elite complain in the spotlight, the crowd will throw tomatoes. should have taken your dad's advice and not contribute to the media's narrative

• Agree 1