Biothai Links Thai Farm to Blackchin Tilapia Spread

image.jpeg

The Biothai Foundation has revealed striking claims regarding the rapid proliferation of the Blackchin tilapia fish species in Thailand, asserting that the invasive spread can be linked to a single source: the Yeesarn fish farm in Samut Sakhon’s Ampawa district, operated by Charoen Pokphand Foods (CPF).

Witoon Lianjamroon, the secretary-general of Biothai Foundation, shared these allegations during a seminar held yesterday.

He underscored that CPF has been the sole private company authorised by the Fisheries Department to import Blackchin tilapia into Thailand since 2010. This exclusivity places CPF in the spotlight as the primary suspect in the current ecological disruption.

Lianjamroon cited reports from the Fisheries Department, which detailed how the Yeesarn fish farm, nestled among numerous local canals like Don Jan, Luang, Jek, Somboon, Saphan Han, Tamon, and Phi Lok, utilises these waterways for its operations.

He contended that breaches in bio-safety protocols at this fish farm facilitated the release and subsequent spread of the invasive species.

The ripple effects of this breach have been significant. The National Human Rights Commission, tasked with probing the impact of invasive species on local communities, has identified the Yeesarn fish farm as a critical failure point.

Their findings suggest that the Blackchin tilapia has not just contaminated local canals but has also infiltrated fish and shrimp farms in Samut Sakhon and the neighbouring province of Phetchaburi.

Lianjamroon criticised the misleading public statements suggesting that all 2,000 imported Blackchin tilapia had perished within 16 days of arrival in Thailand, with proper disposal measures purportedly taken. He argued that this narrative was constructed to downplay the severity of the ecological invasion.

The Biothai Foundation, affiliated with the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Watch group, continually monitors the impacts of international trade agreements on resources and small-scale farmers. Their analysis suggests this incident underscores the need for stringent bio-safety measures to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

Picture courtesy: Thai PBS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-27

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He underscored that CPF has been the sole private company authorised by the Fisheries Department to import Blackchin tilapia into Thailand since 2010. This exclusivity places CPF in the spotlight as the primary suspect in the current ecological disruption.

Oh dear... 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

But But But.....

CPF can talk all it wants about how it cares.  But, we judge people/institutions/businesses not by what they say/claim, but by their actions.  CPF can talk all day, but people know what the reality is.

20 hours ago, topt said:

I am a little surprised that they have been that specific in naming and almost shaming......

it will be interesting however to see if CPF really get held to account in any way or help to resolve the situation.

Unfortunately I have my doubts..........

Something tells me that this is going to be a huge problem for CPF.  There are too many organizations that have had their livelihood ruined.  Also, if this is in the rivers, there is little doubt that it could affect neighbouring countries. Imagine if it gets into the Mekong. OUCH

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Why does it matter?

Why does the release of fish that’s destroying the environment and ecosystem matter?!

You can’t be that stupid!

19 hours ago, john donson said:

CP... make them pay...

Pay?! :cheesy:   Nah....but pretty soon they will get paid from the B500 Billion Digital Wallet scheme, as everyone will be spending their money at their local 7-11. Rewards for the corrupt pigs at the trough.

• Agree 1

On 7/28/2024 at 9:57 AM, 818Pilot said:

Why does the release of fish that’s destroying the environment and ecosystem matter?!

by his comment, I think he is.

On 7/28/2024 at 2:57 AM, 818Pilot said:

I am all for protecting the environment but there is nothing in the post that says they are harming the environment. I do know that what I presume was the original species, was introduced to Laos from China during the Vietnam war. Is the oiginal species a 'wild' species in Thailand or was it similarly introduced fish soley to be farmed?