Geo Graphic Problems - Location.

Mason45

Hi all, I tried to open 3 different websites this morning and they all stated a Geo Graphic - location problem. I've been accessing these same sites using a VPN since I moved to Thailand many years ago. Are these changes caused by the local laws here, my VPN or even the laws in Australia? Has anyone got any ideas how to rectify this? Thanks.

Do not use their apps, instead use their website preferably from a laptop or PC, not from a phone - with VPN turned on. What message do you get when following those suggestions?

As I mentioned earlier in the other (closed) thread, I could access one of those sites easily on my PC.  I just tried it again on my phone, first with no VPN, access denied, then with Nord VPN (location Melbourne) and went straight in.  Reckon you need a new VPN.

5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

As I mentioned earlier in the other (closed) thread, I could access one of those sites easily on my PC.  I just tried it again on my phone, first with no VPN, access denied, then with Nord VPN (location Melbourne) and went straight in.  Reckon you need a new VPN.

Firstly thanks for your reply, I'd install a new VPN right away if was sure that I won't have the same problem again. I've also noticed that my wifi connection is very slow lately. Could this also be a factor?

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

My VPN seems random. Aus tv is geo blocked but when VPN selected to Australia I can watch channel 7 no problem, but when I try channel 9 it still says I need to be in Australia. 

Mine is only a cheap VPN though (it's free). It does get me onto the game similar to the Thai Lottery though which is what I needed it for.

Thanks for your reply mate but please don't mention gambling as it's a no no in a sacred non gambling country such as Thailand.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

Firstly thanks for your reply, I'd install a new VPN right away if was sure that I won't have the same problem again. I've also noticed that my wifi connection is very slow lately. Could this also be a factor?

I doubt that the WiFi is causing this.  I connected on my PC via not very fast WiFi and on my phone on 5G data.  Both the connections to the site were instant, as were the rejections with the VPN switched off. 

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I doubt that the WiFi is causing this.  I connected on my PC via not very fast WiFi and on my phone on 5G data.  Both the connections to the site were instant, as were the rejections with the VPN switched off. 

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

After trying 3 other VPN's which gave me the same problem I believe it has something to do with the IP address in each respective VPN. I thought all our data was anonymous.

Many of the exit vpn server public ip addresses are well known and media providers block any device communicating through that ip address.

Sometimes you can try different vpn servers in the same country and get ahead of the blocking for a while. Sometimes you have to change providers. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

After trying 3 other VPN's which gave me the same problem I believe it has something to do with the IP address in each respective VPN. I thought all our data was anonymous.

Your data is only encrypted up to the exit vpn server. So you only hide your packets from the isp and maybe from a man in the middle attack at a public wifi like a hotel or coffee shop.

Nothing is anonymous on the internet unless you control both ends of the connection and strongly encrypt.  Even with the data in the packet encrypted , the packets themselves can be traced and may reveal information about what you are doing. Specifically true if you don’t control both ends.

Fee for service , or even the free variants , VPN providers only provide misdirection at best. And some, many? Of the free vpn providers harvest your data and sell bits of the information.

Edited by degrub