Play Hang Dong Golf course? Regular caddy?

Thailand

In their wisdom the management of Hang Dong Golf course have decided that from October it will no longer possible to book a caddy.

This applies whether or not players have a regular caddy, even if that has been over a number of years- you will now not be able to book that caddy.

These caddies have built up their client bases over the years and it is their income. For reasons unknown management are simply going to remove that income!

Apparently around 35-40 caddies have regular customers and will be affected! They have no voice TIT

What can we do if anything? 

Please keep your comments related to the subject.

If you don't play Hang Dong feel free not to comment, unless of course you consider it is really relevant to the thread and could add value.

18 minutes ago, Thailand said:

What can we do if anything? 

Save the contacts of your favorite caddies and and bring your own. Or patronize another business.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, novacova said:

Save the contacts of your favorite caddies and and bring your own. Or patronize another business.

Saving the contact does nothing would still not be able to book them, from October it is pot luck!

Bring your own? Do you play Hang Dong?

Patronizing another business does not exactly help the caddies does it?

The point of the thread is to try to save the caddies livelihood. 

9 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Saving the contact does nothing would still not be able to book them, from October it is pot luck!

Bring your own? Do you play Hang Dong?

Patronizing another business does not exactly help the caddies does it?

IMO their livelihood is only affected insofar as the non-preferred caddies now would get more of the pie.

AFAIK at Gymkhana one can still have a personal caddie.

I suppose you could try refusing the caddie assigned to you, but the owners might either refuse to let you play, or demand an extra fee.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMO their livelihood is only affected insofar as the non-preferred caddies now would get more of the pie.

AFAIK at Gymkhana one can still have a personal caddie.

I suppose you could try refusing the caddie assigned to you, but the owners might either refuse to let you play, or demand an extra fee.

Guessing you do have a regular caddy at HangDong?

Talk to the owners.  Get a group to talk  to them.  Get some Thais in the group.

They should understand the idea of wanting to choose your own caddy,  it is part of playing, all pros do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Talk to the owners.  Get a group to talk  to them.  Get some Thais in the group.

They should understand the idea of wanting to choose your own caddy,  it is part of playing, all pros do it.

Exactly, was just waiting to see how long before like minded posts came along!:biggrin:

Thanks

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Apparently around 35-40 caddies have regular customers and will be affected! They have no voice TIT

That may be a problem for management. Perhaps having so many caddies with "regulars" means other caddies, especially newer ones constantly get bypassed.

As a kid I caddied at a local private club. Before you could caddie, you had to take and pass a tutorial from the club assistant pro.  You'd show up at 6am Saturday morning and get a number.  When your number came-up, you got a bag.  The club did not allow members to pick caddies and no "doubles" were allowed.  It was fairly run.  Another private club I tried caddying at was the opposite.  Members could pick whatever caddie they wanted which meant you could sit all day and not get a bag if you were a "New guy"

My guess is your golf course is trying to spread work more equably.

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Guessing you do have a regular caddy at HangDong?

I've been in Chiang Rai for 4 years. I used to have a regular caddie at Gymkhana, just took whatever was going at HangDong because I played there infrequently.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Why not? Just hire one to go golfing with you.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Jobs come and go, it’s an obvious fact in these parts. There is always an option to be charitable and open a business for caddies that got the shaft.

• Confused 1