Retirement Visa Process Unchanged

:o

I just returned from extending my retirement visa and that of my foreign wife's. I have done this for six or seven years now and the process was the same as last year. This year they didn't ask for a medical certificate (they did last year) but did ask for a copy of our marriage certificate (which they didn't ask for last year.) They also wanted the receipts of the foreign transfers that we get from Bangkok Bank when we wire funds from the USA into our Bangkok Bank account. We made sure we had the required funds in the bank account at least three months prior to today and they didn't question the account. So the entire process (once we actually got to someone to work on the visa) took only 15 minutes. We did not have to come back in a month as someone else experienced last Friday, so I don't think Immigration has changed anything other than checking over everything much more than in the past. For instance, they compared my wife's photo this year with her and with photos from 4 or 5 previous years' applications to see if I still have the same wife.

But, we waited about 3 hours in line today as there was a huge crowd at immigration in Bangkok today ... because Monday and Tuesday were government holidays. We would have gone some other day but our travel plans precluded that.

They also wanted the receipts of the foreign transfers that we get from Bangkok Bank when we wire funds from the USA into our Bangkok Bank account.

Are these receipts that you specifically reqest from BB?

When we wire money, BB doesn't send us a receipt. We verify that it has arrived using BB's Internet banking. Then, when we get around to it, we update the passbook, where the code "FTT" (foreign telex transfer?) appears next to the wired amount.

You would think a passbook would provide all the information Immigration needs, including current balance. But no, Immigration, like all bureaucrats, loves killing trees.

They also wanted the receipts of the foreign transfers that we get from Bangkok Bank when we wire funds from the USA into our Bangkok Bank account.

Are these receipts that you specifically reqest from BB?

When we wire money, BB doesn't send us a receipt. We verify that it has arrived using BB's Internet banking. Then, when we get around to it, we update the passbook, where the code "FTT" (foreign telex transfer?) appears next to the wired amount.

You would think a passbook would provide all the information Immigration needs, including current balance. But no, Immigration, like all bureaucrats, loves killing trees.

Not all Thai banks provide information in the passbook that a Deposit Amount is a Foreign Exchange amount.

My bank does not (Kasikorn Bank).

But all Thai banks should provide you with some sort of Advice / Receipt when an amount is credited to your account from overseas.

If you ask for it.

In my case - I periodically go to my branch - and they phone their International Office in Bangkok - who faxes the receipt through.

There is no charge to me for this service - and it takes me 10 minutes or so each time. I get the branch to "stamp and sign" the faxed copy.

I keep these as proof that my "Income" is coming from overseas.

In my experience at Chiang Mai for INCOME-based Retirement Extension of Stay - sometimes Immigration likes to see these - sometimes not.

When these receipts have been asked for at Chiang Mai - it has been at the final "personal interview" stage of the application- and not at the initial "hand over the basic documents requirements". So that is why it varies - up to that Officer on the day.

As well as having these receipts on hand just in case - Chiang Mai Immigration invariably likes the Bank Letter confirming Account Balance to also state that the source of funds to your account - has come from overseas (Country Name).

This year I also had the Bank stamp / date and sign each of the photocopied pages of the passbook.

An example enclosed of the Advice / Receipt form that is used by Kasikorn Bank's International Office in Bangkok.

post-31308-1186332000_thumb.jpg