UK Winter Fuel Payments Scrapped for Millions Amid Budget Cuts

Social Media

11 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Have they been paying their UK taxes and N.I whilst living in Thailand ?

I don't know. Neither do you.

If they have a decent private pension on top of state pension, the chances are they are paying.

Either way, they would have been paying whilst working. Therefore, the treatment they receive from NHS is not free.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You so clearly confirming that you have no idea what the difference is between anecdote and verifiable data wasn’t the response I expected, but thanks for for being so eagerly forthcoming on the matter.

If you need assistance getting to your next hospital appointment contact social services, they may be able to help.

The comments I made are verifiable. As I said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The NHS provides health services on the basis of residency, not how much tax/NI someone seeking treatment has or has not paid or citizenship.

If an expat returns to the UK yo seek healthcare from the NHS then they are either coincidentally returning to take up permanent residence, in which case they are entitled to treatment, or they are lying about/concealing their residency and this committing fraud.

Emergency treatment is available to all. 

UK citizens are also entitled to follow up treatment all the time they are resident in UK. If, after their treatment is complete, they decide to live in a different country, fair enough. They are not committing fraud.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

So, I didn't lie. 

You did though.

🤷

The pound declined as more countries were allowed membership of the EU: That is untrue; incorrect; a falsehood; a lie, etc.

But my mistake, Donald, you didn't state that (top of p5) 🤦

Edited by RayC
Clarification
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

🤷

The pound did not decline as more countries were allowed membership of the EU: That is untrue; incorrect; a falsehood; a lie, etc.

But my mistake, Donald, you didn't state that (top of p5) 🤦

It certainly did. It's there for all to see. 

Between 2004 and 2007 there were 12 additions to EU. All countries receiving more than they gave.

From 2007 onwards the pound value slid dramatically.

Coincidence? I don't think so. That's my opinion. You may disagree. That doesn't make me a liar.

You need to take back that suggestion or apologise. Or both.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I suppose this means that any hope expats had of having their frozen

pensions unfrozen is well and truly out the window ,

regards worgeordie 

Yes, and I wouldn't rule out other changes to the State Pension in the autumn budget. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 3:39 AM, Social Media said:

announced by Chancellor Rachel Reeves. Starting this autumn, those not on pension credit or other means-tested benefits will no longer receive the annual payments, which range between £100 and £300.

What a B .I.T.C.H.   Take the money away from the Poor that are the Most Needy People in the country who Worked for their country and give the money away to People that are Having Jobs and Earning money .

The Billions  Given away to Foreign Countries  could've Paid for the poor pensioners Fuel Benefits. 

What's More important  the people from ones Own country or some Foreigners country .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Look back at the posts. You'll see what I'm talking about. It in relation to the post I quoted. Were it not, I wouldn't have quoted it.

I'm not sure what it is I claim to have had.

More of the same obfuscation.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

What a B .I.T.C.H.   Take the money away from the Poor that are the Most Needy People in the country who Worked for their country and give the money away to People that are Having Jobs and Earning money .

The Billions  Given away to Foreign Countries  could've Paid for the poor pensioners Fuel Benefits. 

What's More important  the people from ones Own country or some Foreigners country .

But, folk who earn a lot get this handout, it could turn out that those earning over a certain amount will not get it, like some living in Thailand but say they don't to squease a bit more out of the UK system..

Not the poorer folk....🤗

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You're the only one that thinks so. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now you've been appointed spokesperson for the members of aseanow.com? I must have missed the announcement.

Just another irrelevant deflection on your part.

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Now you've been appointed spokesperson for the members of aseanow.com? I must have missed the announcement.

Just another irrelevant deflection on your part.

Once again you fail to engage brain before commenting.

It's quite simple. You are the only one commenting about this alleged something or other. That's it. Just you. Only you. So simple to see.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. Humouros but misplaced. 🤣🤣🤣

On 7/31/2024 at 12:27 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s a lot of work to be done fixing 14 years of Tory mismanagement, much of which will be done by those working in the public sector, they deserve a living wage.

Meanwhile, there’s huge savings by cancelling the Rwanda scam and hundreds of millions to be revived from COVID related corruption.

The budget is going to be fun.

Seems Rwanda will not be giving a single penny back.

2 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Seems Rwanda will not be giving a single penny back.

Why should they, they were committed to the project, and no doubt the signed agreement covers them...😊

Loopy Labour have in head first, there will be a lot more of that too.......😬

On 8/1/2024 at 9:23 AM, youreavinalaff said:

It certainly did. It's there for all to see. 

Between 2004 and 2007 there were 12 additions to EU. All countries receiving more than they gave.

From 2007 onwards the pound value slid dramatically.

Coincidence? I don't think so. That's my opinion. You may disagree. That doesn't make me a liar.

You need to take back that suggestion or apologise. Or both.

Like most people, I don't like being patronised ("Do try to keep up"). However, I over-reacted. I have no excuse for labelling your post as a lie. I apologise and withdraw the comment.

What I should have said about your comment that, " .. the expansion of (the) EU ... had a bigger impact (than Brexit)"  on the £/baht exchange rate was that it is uninformed as it is not supported by the evidence.

Sterling declined overnight by +/-10% due to the referendum result: When the EU expanded by 10 members in May 2004, the pound increased against the baht by 4%. Bulgaria and Romania (in 2007) and Croatia (in 2013) joined the EU, the £/baht rate declined by <1% (effectively within the range of a normal trading day).

The idea that sterling's decline from 2007 onwards was a result of the events of 2004 i.e. that it would take the money markets 3 years to absorb the implications of the EU expansion in 2004 is imo nonsense.

It might be argued that the Eurozone crisis from 2009 - 15 weighted on sterling vis-à-vis the baht but imo the effect was limited. The two most important events, which have moved the £/baht exchange rate over the past 20 years are 1) the financial crisis of 2007/08 and 2) the result of the Brexit referendum. In 1), the market judged the impact to be greater on the UK's economy than Thailand's hence the decline. 2) shouldn't require any further explanation. 

The effect of the expansion of the EU membership per sec had no negative impact on the £/baht exchange rate.

• Agree 1

The winter fuel payment should have been "means tested" from its inception, it seems that is what they are going to do now.

So all those who live here but don't, will now have to fill in a form, or prove they are on the bread line with bank statements.  😱

My mum had to do that when she was alive, she got relief for I think rent and rates...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

Like most people, I don't like being patronised ("Do try to keep up"). However, I over-reacted. I have no excuse for labelling your post as a lie. I apologise and withdraw the comment.

What I should have said about your comment that, " .. the expansion of (the) EU ... had a bigger impact (than Brexit)"  on the £/baht exchange rate was that it is uninformed as it is not supported by the evidence.

Sterling declined overnight by +/-10% due to the referendum result: When the EU expanded by 10 members in May 2004, the pound increased against the baht by 4%. Bulgaria and Romania (in 2007) and Croatia (in 2013) joined the EU, the £/baht rate declined by <1% (effectively within the range of a normal trading day).

The idea that sterling's decline from 2007 onwards was a result of the events of 2004 i.e. that it would take the money markets 3 years to absorb the implications of the EU expansion in 2004 is imo nonsense.

It might be argued that the Eurozone crisis from 2009 - 15 weighted on sterling vis-à-vis the baht but imo the effect was limited. The two most important events, which have moved the £/baht exchange rate over the past 20 years are 1) the financial crisis of 2007/08 and 2) the result of the Brexit referendum. In 1), the market judged the impact to be greater on the UK's economy than Thailand's hence the decline. 2) shouldn't require any further explanation. 

The effect of the expansion of the EU membership per sec had no negative impact on the £/baht exchange rate.

"Do try to keep up" was not an attempt to patronise.

It was advise.

• Sad 1

On 8/1/2024 at 3:39 PM, BritManToo said:

Well IMHO all basic health care, education, food and housing should be available to all citizens that want it free of charge. But not necessarily what they want, how they want or where they want, some sort of workhouse environment may be appropriate with set meals.

I go for the Singapore policy. NO dole and if one cant find a job the government will give you one cutting grass. At least it was like that in the 70s.

Singapore had no layabout dole bludgers when I lived there.