Thailand and China Aim to Boost Trade Ties

china-thai.jpg

Thailand's Deputy Commerce Minister, Suchart Chomklin, led a team to the 3rd "Thai-China Sub-Committee" meeting in Bangkok. The aim was to strengthen trade connections between Thailand and China. China's Deputy Commerce Minister Li Fei co-chaired the discussions. The primary focus was to grow the market for Thai agricultural goods like livestock and fruits in China and improve transportation of these goods to China.

The meeting also addressed boosting intellectual property rights and organizing joint trade shows. Suchart, acting for Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Phumtham Wechayachai, invited Chinese investors to check out business opportunities in important Thai sectors, such as the electric car industry and online shopping.

They also emphasized the strategic role of making full use of existing free trade agreements. This includes the ASEAN-China Free Trade Agreement and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) to enhance economic deals. This is crucial as China has been Thailand’s top trade partner for more than ten years. In 2023, their trade nearly reached 105 billion US dollars, even though there was a small year-on-year drop.

The initial five months of 2024 saw a 4.24% rise in trade between Thailand and China, showing a strong economic relationship. Major Thai exports to China are fresh fruits and rubber products, while electrical machinery and chemicals dominate its imports from there.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-30

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

So we can expect more low quality Chinese <deleted> produce in Thailand.   I am sure the small local Thai businesses and producers will be happy, NOT, and the super wealthy Chinese-Thai business families more happy.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The primary focus was to grow the market for Thai agricultural goods like livestock and fruits in China and improve transportation of these goods to China.

China has everything in hand.... but expect more Chinese goods coming this way.

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

funny thing is, let's look at their history so far - not going too deep of course but things that stand out recently:

1 2017 deal with China who had outlawed ewaste disposal in China - agreement with Thai Pm for Thailand to accept e-waste.  Lots of news articles over the past year with not only China e-waste here but Thai e-wast being stored in local warehouses - Rayong, BKK Ayutthaya, et al.

2.  Free trade with Chinese agreement, immediately fake "elephant pants" made in China pour into Thailand. complaints forcing govt to stop this particular item.

3.  Local merchants saying that Chinese mercandise showing up everywhere, poor quality and cheaper threatening the Thai businesses.

4.  free visa - yet stories of "dollar-free" tour groups from China, only being taken to Chinese owned shops for shopping here in Thailand.

5.  Chinese only signs appearing - get new passports, or trying to get workers to go to China.  Now govt has put a clamp on this one for a while.

Now, look around SEA Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos - all controlled by China through their different diplomatic maneuvers.  VN which has fought against the Chinese forever, continues to connect with the west to avoid having the Chinese take over their country too.

Just saying, based on what I see/hear  here in the local news media so it seems clear to me but for some reason the govt continues working towards the Chinese (i.e. free trade talks now, moving towards BRICS entrance, etc).   I am not saying that the western counries haven't or won't take advantage of Thailand's financial position to work out advantageous deals with the local govt but that works both ways too.  My opinions only of course but... anyway to all have a great day!

Can't disagree with anything you said.

In my opinion this will only help big business, not the SMEs or local traders.

There is already an issue with cheap, shoddy Chinese products being sold.

This will only make the situation worse

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nakhonandy said:

Can't disagree with anything you said.

In my opinion this will only help big business, not the SMEs or local traders.

There is already an issue with cheap, shoddy Chinese products being sold.

This will only make the situation worse

Yeah but even for the smaller (Chinese controlled shops) they too would reap great rewards.  that is those shops that the "zero-dollar" tours are taken to so they can use their coupons for purchases issued by the Chinese government.  That is my opinion anyway as I have no proof that is what happens, only alluded to by the competitor shops and complaints of teh "zero-dollar" tours.

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Yeah but even for the smaller (Chinese controlled shops) they too would reap great rewards.  that is those shops that the "zero-dollar" tours are taken to so they can use their coupons for purchases issued by the Chinese government.  That is my opinion anyway as I have no proof that is what happens, only alluded to by the competitor shops and complaints of teh "zero-dollar" tours.

If they're Chinese controlled they don't need coupons, but I see your point.

Sounds like China will eventually take over thai,Laos,Cambodia & maybe Vietnam in the future by financial means, and not by the (domino effect) which was thought to have  caused the viet. war..