Thailand Eyes Olympic Glory in Boxing, Taekwondo, and Badminton

image.jpeg

Paris Olympics. Picture courtesy: Facebook Thai Rath

With the Olympic cauldron now ablaze in Paris, Thailand's hopes for glory are fervent. As athletes from the nation take their positions on the global stage, the pursuit of gold medals unites fans and competitors alike.

Thailand has dispatched a formidable team of 51 athletes to compete across 17 different sports, with lofty ambitions of securing six gold medals in boxing, taekwondo, badminton, weightlifting, and golf. This objective marks a significant leap from their sole gold medal in taekwondo at the Tokyo 2020 Games.

Boxing Dreams

Historically, boxing has been Thailand's stronghold at the Olympics. The nation achieved its first Olympic gold in 1996 through Somluck Kamsing. Subsequent victories from Wijan Ponlid (2000), Manus Boonjumnong (2004), and Somjit Jongjohor (2008) fortified Thailand's boxing legacy.

However, the current tournament has seen surprising early exits for stars like Thitisan Panmod and Jutamas Jitpong. Now, all eyes are on 32-year-old Bunjong Sinsiri, who advanced to the quarterfinals after a thrilling 3-2 victory over Venezuela’s Jesus Cova in the men's 63.5kg category.

Taekwondo Triumph

Panipak Wongpattanakit, Thailand’s flag-bearer in taekwondo, made history with her dramatic gold medal finish in Tokyo. Despite battling injuries, the 26-year-old aims to overcome the odds and capture another gold in what she has announced will be her final Olympics.

Badminton First

For the first time, Thailand will compete in all five badminton categories. Kunlavut Vitidsarn, the reigning world champion, leads the charge, aiming to secure Thailand’s first Olympic medal in the sport. His recent struggles to maintain top form have only intensified his resolve.

Weightlifting and Golf Comebacks

After a hiatus due to a doping scandal, Thailand's weightlifting team is eager for redemption. Weeraphon Wichuma and Duangaksorn Chaidee are among the top medal hopefuls. In golf, Atthaya Thitikul and Patty Tavatanakit, both ranking within the top 15 globally, carry the nation's aspiration for medals.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-01

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed the Olympic Spirit is everywhere in Thailand... I only can't find it.... almost nothing on TV here on Aseannews or other newspapers..... Not in the shops in the streets or anywhere..... The sportsmen and women are unknown here and don't feel that the country is their fan... Nobody seems to be interested in it.. Very very sad...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed the Olympic Spirit is everywhere in Thailand... I only can't find it.... almost nothing on TV here on Aseannews or other newspapers..... Not in the shops in the streets or anywhere..... The sportsmen and women are unknown here and don't feel that the country is their fan... Nobody seems to be interested in it.. Very very sad...

Includes me, and I'm not one bit sad

After I saw a few minutes of the opening ceremony and the tranny last supper I switched off.

I feel so sorry for the atheletes who have endured over the last four years to compete in one of the greatest competitions of all time to be dragged down to the level of that humiliating start to the event.

The Olympics has been taken over by the nutters in frocks who have nothing to do with the competition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope someone has explained that boxing is a one on one battle, they can't turn up with pickup full of mates for the fight.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

After I saw a few minutes of the opening ceremony and the tranny last supper I switched off.

I feel so sorry for the atheletes who have endured over the last four years to compete in one of the greatest competitions of all time to be dragged down to the level of that humiliating start to the event.

The Olympics has been taken over by the nutters in frocks who have nothing to do with the competition.

For me personal I did not even see it was the last supper....after the commotion I saw it, but for me it were just a group of people.  Later the organization mentioned it was the last supper indeed.... but I don't understand why they had to do it like this. They are French and have always something strange. Anyway that is the show and for me The Games are the most important.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

To think that the opening ceremony has anything at all to do with the actual athletics is the truly sad part.  As a sports/sporting fan I seriously cannot fathom deciding not to watch based on some pseudo-political opinion.  The French are weird, get over it.  More importantly, you are missing out on some excellent Olympics action.  

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Anyway that is the show and for me The Games are the most important.

I haven't kept up with the news, was the swimmer who is an intact male, now competing in the womens races allowed to compete ?

10 hours ago, TimBKK said:

To think that the opening ceremony has anything at all to do with the actual athletics is the truly sad part.  As a sports/sporting fan I seriously cannot fathom deciding not to watch based on some pseudo-political opinion.  The French are weird, get over it.  More importantly, you are missing out on some excellent Olympics action.  

Why bring politics or gender issues into the opening ceremony, the Olympics is all about sports, lets keep it that way, and not have it infiltrated by loonies in frocks.