Quality Inner Tubes?

My Scooter tyres constantly need inflating. Sometimes I can lose up to 10 psi a week. I use IRC tubes and changing them sorts the problem for a month or so, but the problem soon reoccurs. Are there any better-quality tubes available?

Check and make sure the valve stem is tight or replace the valve stems, sometimes the O rings or brass are scarred/faulty.

Edited by novacova

As has been said, the problem is the valves not the inner tube, my Wave I have to check the tyers every 10-4 days, and they nearly always need some air in them, been like this for all the bikes I have had here for the past 20 years.

7 hours ago, kickstart said:

As has been said, the problem is the valves not the inner tube, my Wave I have to check the tyers every 10-4 days, and they nearly always need some air in them, been like this for all the bikes I have had here for the past 20 years.

air comes out of the rubber tube

On 8/1/2024 at 6:00 PM, stubuzz said:

Quality Inner Tubes? 

Why do you have tubes? 

Buy steel belted tyres, tubeless. 

20 years ago I'd have a Mio with inner tubes, I'd get a puncture once a month, the tyres these days are so much better. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 8/1/2024 at 6:00 PM, stubuzz said:

My Scooter tyres constantly need inflating. Sometimes I can lose up to 10 psi a week. I use IRC tubes and changing them sorts the problem for a month or so, but the problem soon reoccurs. Are there any better-quality tubes available?

Spoked wheels ?

Rubber tubes always lose air. They lose less when driven daily. But if sitting and not driving around the air loss will be faster. You need to ask for the better tubes offered and make sure that is what you get. They leak air slower because of the thickness. 

31 minutes ago, kickstart said:

As for using tubeless tyers, you cannot use tubeless tyers on a tubed rim, and can you get 2.75x17 tubeless tyers.

Tubeless on a spoked rim is a bit difficult  but apparently not impossible.

70/90-17  front  and 80/90-17 rear   tubeless  on mag wheels should be ok on a wave.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4708479133-s19411610796.html

Air that we breath  contains 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.03% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other trace gases..

I'll continue  pumping up my tyres with good ole "air"

bright_P_20240328_121507.thumb.jpg.88bf2139f218454cca8fd920ba0910b5.jpg

2 hours ago, johng said:

Tubeless on a spoked rim is a bit difficult  but apparently not impossible.

70/90-17  front  and 80/90-17 rear   tubeless  on mag wheels should be ok on a wave.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4708479133-s19411610796.html

Air that we breath  contains 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.03% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other trace gases..

I'll continue  pumping up my tyres with good ole "air"

bright_P_20240328_121507.thumb.jpg.88bf2139f218454cca8fd920ba0910b5.jpg

And what about the valve, a tubeless valve is bigger than a tubed valve, I see it works in the photo, are they car valves, look different from the ones I have seen on cars, and will your local shop stock them. 

One thing, in my rural area, not many if any bike shops can fix a tubeless tyer, wife's daughter's Fino, they have to go to a car repair place, and one shop charged them 200 baht to fix a puncture.

I bought the valves from the same shop selling the tyres on Lazada.

The shop fitting the tyres did have some trouble getting the valve to work on the front wheel /rim, eventually they modified the valve slightly with a dremel and left the rim as original ...a few days later the front tyre was flat and I ended up taking it to a car tyre shop  who also had trouble  getting the tyre to seal to the rim  because of  roughness in the casting and slight damage from tyre irons over the years the solution was to remove the tyre again and sand out some of the damage the refit the tyre..touch wood its been ok since.

As for  punctures it's easier to repair  tubeless  with those mushroom plug "thingies"  they did it for free  on my car at "Cockpit"

On 8/9/2024 at 8:28 AM, johng said:

As for  punctures it's easier to repair  tubeless  with those mushroom plug "thingies"  they did it for free  on my car at "Cockpit

May be free on a car but, in my rural area and others we have no places like places like "Cockpit", the nearest place near me like Cockpit does not do motorbikes, you will have to pay.

This subject of using plugs on motorbikes has come up before, unless you have the kit, and can find the hole, unless a 2inch nail is sticking out, the tyer will have to come off not easy on a Fino,a job for a shop, if you can find one. 

Yes @stubuzz inner tubes do leak air. The air molecules actually migrate through the rubber. We have a Click which has inner tubes and an Aerox which has tubeless. The Click needs topping up twice week with about 3-5psi when new as opposed to the Aerox which requires only 2-3psi per month!

And the tubes do deteriorate with age. I replaced the Click's tyres and tubes recently. Before I did they were beginning to loose even more air than usual. I don't know whether there are any better quality tubes around, maybe made of thicker rubber. How does start looking?

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And the tubes do deteriorate with age. I replaced the Click's tyres and tubes recently. Before I did they were beginning to loose even more air than usual.

My tubes are about 1 year old now, and it's correct that when they were new, they lost less air. You would have thought that somebody sells a

'premium inner-tube".

On 8/11/2024 at 12:00 PM, stubuzz said:

You would have thought that somebody sells a

'premium inner-tube".

When I go to the motorcycle shop to fix a puncture they most always offer a cheaper and a more expensive inner tube  of course there is not much way to tell which is the better tube  maybe by weighing them ? thicker tube heavier and less leaks ??  anyway I keep "a" tyre pump at home near my bikes  to keep the pressure up but which  has been stolen a few times...the "buggers"