US Border Migrant Crossings Fall for Fifth Consecutive Month

Social Media

image.png.b116a3482d50eb148302edabea51c6b9.png  

The number of unlawful crossings by migrants at the US southern border has decreased for the fifth consecutive month, according to official data. In July, US Border Patrol agents apprehended approximately 57,000 migrants along the border, marking the lowest recorded figure since September 2020. This is a significant decline from December, when about 250,000 migrants were caught attempting to cross the border.

The Biden administration has attributed this decrease to recent measures taken to combat illegal immigration, a critical issue for Democrats in the election year. "This is the product of a number of actions this administration has taken," stated Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas in an interview with CBS this week.

Among these actions is an executive order signed by President Joe Biden last month, allowing US immigration officials to deport migrants without processing their asylum claims. This measure has been described as one of the most restrictive border policies enacted by a Democratic president in recent times and has faced criticism from left-wing members of the party. President Biden defended the executive order, asserting that it would "help us gain control of our border" and emphasizing that "doing nothing is not an option."

Government data reveals that the number of migrants stopped at the US-Mexico border had already been decreasing prior to the implementation of the executive order. Border Patrol recorded 141,000 apprehensions in February, 137,000 in March, 129,000 in April, 118,000 in May, and 84,000 in June.

These figures exclude official border crossings, where the Biden administration has been processing around 1,500 migrants daily through a smartphone app that schedules appointments between migrants and US border agents. Additionally, Mexican officials have been actively working to curb illegal migration by preventing people from attempting to cross into US territory.

The issue of the southern border has been a political challenge for the Biden administration, particularly as the November election approaches. President Biden has faced repeated criticism from Republicans and their presidential nominee, Donald Trump, who claimed last month that the president had “surrendered our southern border.” In response, Biden accused the Trump camp of an "extremely cynical political move" by urging Republican politicians to block a proposed border plan in Congress earlier this year.

Credit: BBC  2024-08-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

not only that that bill has provisions in it to help stop fentanyl that’s mainly smuggled through ports of entry.

no administration can stop this tug. trust me in the society we live in it's impossible. efforts can be made sure...... but its like throwing gas onto a fire. 

supply and demand. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tug said:

A 30 sec search on the internet under gov facts bipartisan border bill there’s funding for 100 state of the art detectors for use at ports of entry and funds for 1500 more border agents

pointless efforts.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stoner said:

pointless efforts.

Not pointless. The point was to get more illegals in and processed faster.

Border agents to do the grunt work and judges to get them benefits.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Not pointless. The point was to get more illegals in and processed faster.

Border agents to do the grunt work and judges to get them benefits.

i was speaking about the drugs more than the illegals. but the same realistically applies to the agents as well. won't really solve anything. nor will it really have any effect long term. the numbers will continue to grow. there simply isn't the manpower to solve the issue or even tackle it effectively. 

ps...i know someone will post a link showing a 5 month decline. so before you do realize that is a short term thing. if you look over time it is only getting worse. 

pps....devils advocate.

Edited by stoner

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Doomed, we’re all doomed, nothing can be done, no one can save us, they’re all the same, it’s useless trying, we’re doomed, doomed.

is that your expert opinion ? 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, Tug said:
13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Doomed, we’re all doomed, nothing can be done, no one can save us, they’re all the same, it’s useless trying, we’re doomed, doomed.

He he he touché mr chomper never give up the ship!!!

you both have very little idea what you are talking about with this. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No it’s my summary of your post in context of all your other posts.

nice flame. so you have no real opinion or expertise ? got it. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Um...I love the logic.

We're catching fewer illegal aliens attempting to cross the border, therefore we are reducing the number of illegal aliens crossing the border.:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Forgive me for responding to your post.

When did I claim have any expertise in this matter.

My opinion is, Trump scuppered the bipartisan border legislation in order to deny abide a win and maintain the border as a political issue for the election.

Border crossings are down, Trump, his supporters and those who pretend not to be his supporters are not happy.

Oh and there is clear blue sky between the Democrats and the Republicans, there is no equivalence between the two.

not forgiven. i did mention that someone like you would say border crossings are down - in a short 5 months span before an election. now lets talk about illegal immigration over the last 30 years or so. is it going down or ? and was all that time under just one party or ? 

there sure is equivalence between the two you are just to ideologically driven to see it. its ok i understand you not being able to decipher. 

Edited by stoner
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Someone like me’?

How about you go to the top of the thread and read what the OP (not me or someone like me) said:

Here’s a clue:

“The number of unlawful crossings by migrants at the US southern border has decreased for the fifth consecutive month, according to official data.”

On the other hand I did say:

Border crossings are down, Trump, his supporters and those who pretend not to be his supporters are not happy.

I think he meant leftists 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1