Surface post rate from Thailand to North Wales.

bentarm44

I'm trying to discover the surface post charge for 8kg (photo albums) from Phimai, Korat, 30110; to UK, Wales, LL28 5HU. Although I have some info on this, it may be unreliable; ha ha. Also, considering the usual, and specific haxards involved with any such attempt, do forum members think it worthwhile to even attempt this operation. My contact in korat seems honest and reliable, but the staff in Phimai post office have given indications of mis-information and over quotes. No massive biggie, information is power, the farang must always be made to pay the "big money" ha ha. 

• Confused 2

Thanks photoguy21. One area of doubt I have is that any method I use may well have only a 50/50 chance of completion. UK internal post in itself is far from guaranteed. 

• Confused 1

Thanks nownow. That Thai post office web site seems to be giving the same costs as I was advised of. Typically, the "English" language display option leaves me slightly lost !  So, it seems that international postal rates applicable do indeed result in air mail being the way to go. Plus a little sweetener, looks like I'll be in for about £100. Now I will consider if I want to take the punt or not. Can you see how long delivery is claimed to be ? This operation begins with a parcel drop off at a main thai post office ?? Thanks for info so far. 

To be on the safe side, scan all the photos and send them via internet to who ever you think may want to look at them. You keep the originals until you go back to the Land of Song. But of course, 8kg is over your hand luggage limit.

41 minutes ago, bentarm44 said:

Thanks nownow. That Thai post office web site seems to be giving the same costs as I was advised of. Typically, the "English" language display option leaves me slightly lost !  So, it seems that international postal rates applicable do indeed result in air mail being the way to go. Plus a little sweetener, looks like I'll be in for about £100. Now I will consider if I want to take the punt or not. Can you see how long delivery is claimed to be ? This operation begins with a parcel drop off at a main thai post office ?? Thanks for info so far. 

https://international.thailandpost.com/services/ems-world/?lang=en

Thanks for further replies.

The albums in question cover most  of my pre digi camera life, have written info and enclosed maps, notes etc. I was "required" to finally leave Thailand 2017, and was only able to do so with a suitcase and lap top; after 11 years of residence. My wife has been good as gold, not destroyed any of the house full of stuff I abandoned. I've accepted my fate, and didn't think I'd ever be bothered about all the historic "stuff" I left behind. It's only recently I've been thinking about those albums, and the info contained. As the wife has shown she still has, and is willing to post to me if I send her the money; the temptation to explore the cost has grown.

I seem to have now gained reliable cross referenced info re post out of Thailand.

The chance of accidental loss goes without saying. The chance of theft in the postal system is possibly higher at the uk end, but exists at all stages of delivery. I would expect the parcel to be opened and searched by customs in Thailand and UK.

My Nat West bank account in the uk require lots of info regarding me, her, her Thai bank acct, source of money and reasons for sending etc. So, I'm probably going to use Western Union to send about 5000TB to her Kas bank account. Not a fortune, and worth the gamble to get the thing settled one way or another.

I wonder what will happen next.