Warning! New Retirement Visa Rules - Hope This Is Of Interest.

Letter? Other people say there is a specific form they want to see showing each transfer. This still sounds really sketchy to me.

It shouldnt be sketchy, the situation is very clear. Immigration require a letter AND a form, but they arent for the same thing.

The letter confirms the money is in the bank (it must be less than 7 days old - presumably they think bank books can be forged).

The form certificates foreign origin.

Not sketchy at all.

Next year they will probably require a form from the embassy confirming I am who I say I am. Passports can be forged as well and you can't be too careful - right?

Rich

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blame for greater stringency lies with all the farang who have blatantly taken advantage of less rigorous enforcement of the rules.

[snip]

It's their ball, play by their rules.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly what "bringing in" money proves:

1. Deposit 800,000 baht into your Thai checking account.

2. Transfer 800,000 (in dollars, pounds, kip, or whatever) to your external bank account.

3. Transfer 800,000 back to your Thai savings account.

It's not clear what the transfer limit is (some say 1,000,000 baht; Kasikorn says that they require a "reason," which the branch manager can approve, for transfers over $10,000), but selling baht certainly isn't against the law -- on the contrary, it is actively encouraged these days. And yes, you'll probably lose a few bucks on the conversions, but think of all the merit you'll gain by supporting government policy both coming and going ;-)

Retiree

Exactly. Either this hasn't occurred to them or we need to look elsewhere for the reason for the crackdown. Don't underestimate the propensity for some Thais to make things difficult solely to establish their pre-eminence.

Rich

Hi

Going towards looking forloopholes again ? trabsfer your800kin and out to satisfy the 'rules' ?

The fact that we now have to have the 800k for 3 months is very new and I think in response to smart guys borrowing it for the 1 day time of the application.

They now want 3 months history of a 800k balance.

It looks to me like easy simple responses at the lower levelof the scale to applicants trying to be smart.

Go ahead and applaud the loopholes crews and that will make it more and more difficult for the majority.

This is true not only in Thailand but the owrld over with administrations looking to show they are 'doing something' to stop the smart guys.

It is reported we will need to have the Embassy letter certified by the MFA, this is very typicalof trying to stop made up letters

I am not applauding anyone, I hate this <deleted> as much as anyone. I am merely pointing out that if loopholes exist it is because of sloppy regulations. Of course we should all be grateful there isn't a lot of sloppiness and incompetence in Thailand...

Rich

The critical change, if it is one, would be a requirement for a fresh 800k. I hope someone will soon post with actual experience which confirms or squelches this supposition.

Nothing has been said to support this, it is a rumour based on misunderstood comment in this thread so far as I am aware.

Rich

The critical change, if it is one, would be a requirement for a fresh 800k. I hope someone will soon post with actual experience which confirms or squelches this supposition.

It could be that they want pensioners who actually spend at least 800k each year - which could be harsh for a lot of retirees; and force others to accumulate baht in thailand or to look for ways around this. Or it could be that they want to simply know that a retiree has at least 800k to fall back on - which means they accept the presence of retirees who actually contribute relatively little to the economy and/or are working illegally to supplement their income.

The rationale either way is arguable but less important to us in practical terms than the policy being actually enforced. So I for one am hoping for some consistent reports of extensions approved or denied which go to back up one or other of our speculations.

... The rules as I look at them have been very consistant, only they have had to incorporate extra requirements (3 months, certification) to stop smart guys playing around the rules. We are paying the price for the loophole users.

On what do you base this comment?

Rich

Letter? Other people say there is a specific form they want to see showing each transfer. This still sounds really sketchy to me.

They want to see the Wire Transfer Details Report. It shows the originating bank, proving the money came from offshore.

These reports, which you can pick up anytime after the 3rd day from the transfer from your designated bank branch, have been faxed over from the Wire Center, or printed out from a database, so although they are informative they are not in any way official-looking. They need to be stamped and signed by the bank, and it's probably best to pay the bank to summarize the report in a signed cover letter.

I am afraid this may not be right. I also had the wire transfer report. They wanted the official form and showed me a specimen copy of the form they wanted. Would it help if I post a scan of the form?

I really didn't think this was a complicated thing when I started the thread.

Rich

Thanks JohnS for your factual report of your experience regarding the pension+ experience you had in Pattaya. It will be interesting to hear from pension + applicants who renew after the "supposed" effective date of the MFA Stamp regulation of October 1st has passed.

Lopburi3 cited the actual regulation governing when you had to have the money in the account in a pension + scenario, ie. only on the day of application. Such a non-trusting soul that I am, I took a copy of the regulation lopbuir3 cited with me, due to all the talk regarding 3 month aging required on foreign funds, but alas, they didn't bat an eye or suggest everything wasn't correct, so I never pulled the reg out of my folder.

They want to see the Wire Transfer Details Report. It shows the originating bank, proving the money came from offshore.

These reports, which you can pick up anytime after the 3rd day from the transfer from your designated bank branch, have been faxed over from the Wire Center, or printed out from a database, so although they are informative they are not in any way official-looking. They need to be stamped and signed by the bank, and it's probably best to pay the bank to summarize the report in a signed cover letter.

I am afraid this may not be right. I also had the wire transfer report. They wanted the official form and showed me a specimen copy of the form they wanted. Would it help if I post a scan of the form?

Rich

Yes, it would help alot!

I still have no idea of what exactly to ask for at the bank. They are a bank, not an immigration office.

Are you supposed to get this form for EACH transfer, or is it a form that covers all transfers?

I am also concerned that they will be able to provide this form for transfers that happened in previous years, which I do not have, and I am guessing others don't also. (Because the bank book codes were generally accepted).

Edited by Jingthing

This thread is confusing.

lopburi 3 posted a conflicting statement on post 50 and 51.

post 50: Not less than 400,000 in the bank for the last 3 months.

post 51: Although it would not require the money being in the account for a period of 3 months prior to extension.(if the wife made less than 40,000/MO.).

This is confusing to me.

For the last 5yrs. I have been getting Thai Wife visa extensions.During the year we use money from our account,and top it off every other month(wire transfers are $35 a shot),we top it off with a lot more than the 40,000/MO as required.Unfortunately we also spend it.Either way,it constantly gets topped off to 400,000 or more.This amount has never stayed constant at 400,000 for 3 months.

At extension time I get my bankbook photo copied making sure that its toped off,the bank signs and stamps it along with a letter stating it's mine.I then get a stamp in my passport and return a month later to pick up my new extension.

Are you all now saying that the 400,000 balance must be kept for 3 months,and it cannot fall below this level.Or I will loose the TW Visa based on the 400,000 deposited rule.

This thread contains such "rampant speculation" that many will be mislead by reading it. We so often see posts from people who are so "confused" by what they have read on Thaivisa, that they need someone like lopuri3 to set them straight.

As I posted early on, the requirement to provide proof of funds from overseas to satisfy the 800K money in the bank regulation has been around for at least five years, as I had to do it in BKK that far back.

The statement I just made above, is where so many go wrong. I joined my personal experience with the conclusion that what happened to me was a "rule" or regulation and that said rule was in effect at the time I was ordered to comply with it, just because it happened to me. Unless we see a printed regulations or rules promulgated by immigration Thailand wide, it is just plain illogical to assume that one persons experience is evidence of a rule or regulation and then to 'Warn" everyone of this new rule is just yellow journalism.

We are dealing with individual Police Officers at immigration, they have bad days, they may not like an individual falang, they will usually vary in their use of their inherent "discretion" in reviewing your "proofs", ad naseum. Police Officers are at liberty to enforce a regulation to satisfy their own sense of what should be done and this varies widely between police officers, leaving out the issue of which are too lazy to even enforce the most obvious proofs.

It is valuable to hear of the complete story from individuals and their experiences with visits to immigration, but then to carry on from there with rampant speculation only confuses people. Perhaps those who do it, are enjoying it, but they should know it confuses many and leads them to reach a conclusion which is erroneous.

Take Krubs last post when he says: For the income/pension letter from Embassy, it seems it will now have to be certified by the MFA.

In an otherwise very cogent and balanced post, Krub has assumed that an MFA stamp is now required for the pension letter, when Sojourner posted that no such requirement currently exists in Chiang Mai. You will recall that the MFA Stamp "Regulation" is a press report backed up by the editor who is Honorary Consul for the UK in Pattaya. Even such a knowledgeable poster as Krub has fallen victim to "rampant speculation".

The only thing we know for sure is that there "might be such a regulation" and that this "regulation" "might be" in force in Pattaya in October and we should be so alerted. We don't have a printed regulation nor a citation to the regulations to verify its existence of this "New Regulation" and we know it has not been promulgated to Chiang Mai.

This "news article" and the many posts supporting the new regulation as "fact" may have caused Sojourner to spend 1800 baht to have a visa service obtain a stamp that Chiang Mai doesn't require. I, on the other hand, will wait until this supposed "new regulation" is "supposed" to go into effect, and then visit immigration and see if the standard pension letter issued this year will be accepted by immigration in Chiang Mai, and if not, allow enough time for the visa service to get me the MFA stamp.

It should be pointed out again, as one poster did, but from a different angle, that notations in a bank book are not a permanent record of a foreign source of funds that immigration can put in their files and does require "interpretation" by the immigration officer. If I was a police officer charged with the responsibility to satisfy myself that a falang has brought funds he is using to satisfy retirement financial obligations under the existing regulations, I would certainly require a bank letter substantiating this issue. The officer I dealt with five years ago required me to get a bank letter proving foriegn source of funds, but none since on the five times I have had to show proof of 800k in the bank in Chiang Mai. It is mere speculation to conclude from my experience that bank proof of foreign sourced funds is only required for the first time you get a retirement extension, just because that has happened to me.

Very well reasoned. Very cogent.

Unfortunately it is also exactly wrong.

The new regulation is in force and others here have confirmed this (among all of the static).

Allow me to help you by posting a copy of the header of the A4 form they require, this is the form the Immigration captain told me they require, and told me I should keep because I will also require it next year. and the one after....

And so my friend, will you :D

It isn't a rumour, it isn't yellow journalism and it isn't made up. Of course it also probably isn't authoritative enough for you, but it is nevertheless a fact.

Dear oh dear :o

Rich

By the way, since you had a cry about it, I am sorry I called you a pompous old fart. Obviously you aren't a fart at all. My bad.

Edited by RichardEllis

Rich

Yes, it would help alot!

I still have no idea of what exactly to ask for at the bank. They are a bank, not an immigration office.

Are you supposed to get this form for EACH transfer, or is it a form that covers all transfers?

I am also concerned that they will be able to provide this form for transfers that happened in previous years, which I do not have, and I am guessing others don't also. (Because the bank book codes were generally accepted).

My pleasure. here is the form they showed me and told me is required now and will be required from now on to show foreign origin of 800k (which much have been in Thailand for 3 months and be supported by a letter from your bank less than 7 days old on date of visa extension)

Sorry it isnt the whole form but it will identify which one you need.

Rich

Immigration form as requested

post 51: Although it would not require the money being in the account for a period of 3 months prior to extension.(if the wife made less than 40,000/MO.).

This is confusing to me.

For the last 5yrs. I have been getting Thai Wife visa extensions.During the year we use money from our account,and top it off every other month(wire transfers are $35 a shot),we top it off with a lot more than the 40,000/MO as required.Unfortunately we also spend it.Either way,it constantly gets topped off to 400,000 or more.This amount has never stayed constant at 400,000 for 3 months.

At extension time I get my bankbook photo copied making sure that its toped off,the bank signs and stamps it along with a letter stating it's mine.I then get a stamp in my passport and return a month later to pick up my new extension.

Are you all now saying that the 400,000 balance must be kept for 3 months,and it cannot fall below this level.Or I will loose the TW Visa based on the 400,000 deposited rule.

This is the second time I have asked this question on TV.Due to conflicting or confusing accounts.Would someone please answer.

Rich

Yes, it would help alot!

My pleasure. here is the form they showed me and told me is required now and will be required from now on to show foreign origin of 800k (which much have been in Thailand for 3 months and be supported by a letter from your bank less than 7 days old on date of visa extension)

Rich

Thanks very much for that! That is a very official form.

Isn't that the exact same form as for proof foreign funds for condo purchases?

Do you need such a form for each transfer that you do or can they merge a bunch or previous transfers on one form?

Edited by Jingthing

ProThaiExpat did not have a cry over being called a fart or a pompous old fart, and neither did I.

I thought ProThaiExpat did an excellent job of pointing out that a rule in Pattaya is not a rule in Chiang Mai, not yet. I have to renew my extension in Oct/Nov in Chiang Mai, and couldn't care less if the Immigration Officer in Pattaya or Arnyaphet got up on the wrong side of the bed on 31August2550. I'm hoping for what happens at my office with my officers when I go in.

Futuristic predictions and prophesies of what may happen in October are.....guesses in Thailand. When a national rule is gazzetted or published nationally, it might even take effect in more than one province, on odd numbered Thursdays. :o

This is confusing to me.

This is the second time I have asked this question on TV.Due to conflicting or confusing accounts.Would someone please answer.

I am told that Lopburi is normally the expert on this. My understanding is that the money (whichever combination of funds/income you are using) must be in the bank at time of application for extension, must have been in the bank for at least 3 months, have been transferred from outside of Thailand, and must not have materially dipped under the required minimum amount.

You will need:

1. letter from the bank confirming bank balance (dated not more than 7 days prior to date of application for extension)

2. Appropriate evidence of income (depending on the combination of funds/income you are using)

3. Foreign exchange certificate from the receiving bank in Thailand showing the money came in from outside of Thailand. (This is a link to the top part of the form required: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb208/R...rious/Form.jpg)

Rich

Rich

Yes, it would help alot!

Rich

Do you need such a form for each transfer that you do or can they merge a bunch or previous transfers on one form?

My pleasure, yes it is the same form the Land Department require for proof of external origin of funds used to buy condos. I don't know about combinations, I think probably you need to have a separate form for each transfer.

Glad it helped.

Rich

I went to Bangkok Bank (Emporium) today and they gave me a "Credit Advice / Receipt" letter for my Swift international transfer last year. The Bank Officer I spoke to said that will satisfy Immigration.

The advice was free of charge.

Now I will spend an hour or two lovingly taping all my ATM receipts for a year to A4 paper and copying them.

I'll make another visit to Immigration on Monday and keep my fingers crossed.

Why do you not use your annual bank statement as it should have the ATM withdrawl where abouts, or name of

bank ATM is associated with. At least my withdrawls from the whole year are and each monthly statement does also show where I withdrew money.

ProThaiExpat did not have a cry over being called a fart or a pompous old fart, and neither did I.

I thought ProThaiExpat did an excellent job of pointing out that a rule in Pattaya is not a rule in Chiang Mai, not yet. I have to renew my extension in Oct/Nov in Chiang Mai, and couldn't care less if the Immigration Officer in Pattaya or Arnyaphet got up on the wrong side of the bed on 31August2550. I'm hoping for what happens at my office with my officers when I go in.

Futuristic predictions and prophesies of what may happen in October are.....guesses in Thailand. When a national rule is gazzetted or published nationally, it might even take effect in more than one province, on odd numbered Thursdays. :o

According to the officers at Suan Phlu, all applications for extension of retirement visa on the basis of 800k bank balance must now be supported by:

Bank book

Letter from bank (within prior 7 days) verifying bank balance

Foreign Exchange form verifying foreign origin of funds

Passport

These are now required every year.

For the avoidance of doubt, the information is from a Captain at the Thai Immigration department at Suan Phlu, who confirms the new (FX form) requirement started on August 1st, the date when I actually went there. if it is true then credit to her, if it is not true then brickbats to her, not to me. I neither know about nor care about ProThaiExpat's personal experiences, views, sneers, snide insinuations, pomposities or anything else. I started this thread to help others and I don't care to be sniped at for doing so. The situation is as I originally posted and it really is as simple as that.

Hope this helps improve the signal/noise ratio.

Rich

Edited by RichardEllis

Rich

Yes, it would help alot!

Rich

My pleasure, yes it is the same form the Land Department require for proof of external origin of funds used to buy condos. I don't know about combinations, I think probably you need to have a separate form for each transfer.

Glad it helped.

Rich

It is also worth noting that if you do have these forms, it will make it much easier to transfer your money out of Thailand, should it come to that. Now, the obvious question. Do you think this new enforcement will only be for the current year transfers, or will they also apply this retroactively to previous years? I am wondering how far back the bank can go to issue these forms. In my case, I would need them for a year ago if they are needed retroactively.

Edited by Jingthing

It is also worth noting that if you do have these forms, it will make it much easier to transfer your money out of Thailand, should it come to that.

True.

Now, the obvious question. Do you think this new enforcement will only be for the current year transfers, or will they also apply this retroactively to previous years? I am wondering how far back the bank can go to issue these forms. In my case, I would need them for a year ago if they are needed retroactively.

I can answer this. You need a form which verifies the original transfer. My transfer was in 2004 and I needed verification from the bank regarding the original transfer. Luckily I had kept it. So yes, they are definitely needed retro-actively. Which may be a problem for long-term retirees here.

Rich

i am not a prophet and i hate to be a bearer of bad news. just trying to add 2+2 and use some common sense.

the result (from all indications) is that it is only a matter of time till immigration insists that we retirees prove that we not only possess BUT HAVE SPENT the 800k Baht per annum. through the grapevine i got this message from Pattaya immigration in february when i renewed our retiree visa.

i am not a prophet and i hate to be a bearer of bad news. just trying to add 2+2 and use some common sense.

the result (from all indications) is that it is only a matter of time till immigration insists that we retirees prove that we not only possess BUT HAVE SPENT the 800k Baht per annum. through the grapevine i got this message from Pattaya immigration in february when i renewed our retiree visa.

I think this is entirely possible, we appear to be witnessing interesting times in Thailand. As others have noted, Thais may well be in the process of making their country unwelcoming and therefore unattractive. As pleasant as it is, it is not unique in its ability to provide an attractive environment for retirees. Not that Thais will ever admit they are being stupid or making a mistake of course. It does seem that 'sufficiency' is increasingly being interpreted as isolationism. When the economic crash comes (as it will), and when Vietnam takes away the Thai's sanuk (as it will), then there will need to be some serious soul-searching in this country.

IMHO

Rich

This is confusing to me.

1. In post 50 I quoted the regulation - I made no statement that 400k was required in bank 3 months - as far as I know that is not yet required - but the rule states that it is a requirement to use the 400k method so am sure at some point it will be required.

2. In post 51 I point out that the wording of regulation could give officer the option to say you must use 40k method if income meets that requirement. And I pointed out that the 3 month rule was not being required for 400k deposit method.

As far as I know it is still not required to have funds in bank 3 months for repeat extensions of stay for either marriage or retirement as most people in the system would not yet be aware of the new requirement.

This is confusing to me.

1. In post 50 I quoted the regulation - I made no statement that 400k was required in bank 3 months - as far as I know that is not yet required - but the rule states that it is a requirement to use the 400k method so am sure at some point it will be required.

2. In post 51 I point out that the wording of regulation could give officer the option to say you must use 40k method if income meets that requirement. And I pointed out that the 3 month rule was not being required for 400k deposit method.

As far as I know it is still not required to have funds in bank 3 months for repeat extensions of stay for either marriage or retirement as most people in the system would not yet be aware of the new requirement.

If you are referring to the 400k, I assume you are right, I dont know. If you are referring to retirement visa extensions in general, the 3 month requirement is definite for some extensions (mine was on the basis of 800k and it was a clear requirement, indeed, at one stage the brain-dead officer wanted to give me a 1-month extension because I had changed bank books and she was too lazy or stupid to trace the transfers. Fortunately my legal adviser was there and she is Thai so her language skills came in very useful, without her I would probably have had a problem).

Rich

Do not believe the form posted in link is a normal wire transfer form but a special form for deposits of $20,000 or more used for condo type purchase or as proof of funds import to allow export. There is a wire transfer form about the size of a commercial check (although that may vary by bank) and suspect that is what they will want - all transfers should have these available if you ask for copies.

Buy a certified check from your thai bank after you renew visa. Lets say 400K baht check, send back to your

home country bank for deposit. 3 months prior send 800K baht back to Thai bank, at least this would cut

in half what you were actually sending into country each year, if you cannot afford to just leave it as a back up

stash and live off home country ATM.

Seems if verification is needed immigration could supply a computer terminal so financial statements can be verified

on line. Would be quite simple for immigration to require the bank that is used in the home, to be one of the major

facilities and only those URL's being accessible from the terminal to prevent false bank accounts being used.

I guess no one said living in someone else country is a given right.

If an extension on retirement turns more difficult in time , and when people find it hard to comply with .

Why not just stay with the multiple and renew it every year , no bureaucratic questions and papers required anymore.

......................... Just a thought . If not willing to do , do it this way for a while untill you got your savings on a level

that you feel comfortable with and go the extension road again .

Do not believe the form posted in link is a normal wire transfer form but a special form for deposits of $20,000 or more used for condo type purchase or as proof of funds import to allow export. There is a wire transfer form about the size of a commercial check (although that may vary by bank) and suspect that is what they will want - all transfers should have these available if you ask for copies.

*sigh*

I know about the wire transfer form, I had one of those as well.

Look, I know I have only said it twice or three times, but hey...

THE IMMIGRATION CAPTAIN SHOWED ME A SPECIMEN OF THE FORM SHE WANTED. IT WAS THE FORM WHOSE HEADER I HAVE POSTED. THAT IS THE FORM THEY SAID WAS REQUIRED HENCE THAT WAS THE FORM I SUPPLIED.

Not my job to argue with her.

But please yourself, if you believe I am wrong then go for it and good luck. It wouldn't be completely unheard of for a senior official to be wrong or make it up as s/he goes along in this country where farangs are concerned. It appears to be a fertile source of entertainment for them.

Rich

Edited by RichardEllis

According to the officers at Suan Phlu, all applications for extension of retirement visa on the basis of 800k bank balance must now be supported by:

Bank book

Letter from bank (within prior 7 days) verifying bank balance

Foreign Exchange form verifying foreign origin of funds

Passport

These are now required every year.

For the avoidance of doubt, the information is from a Captain at the Thai Immigration department at Suan Phlu, who confirms the new (FX form) requirement started on August 1st, the date when I actually went there. if it is true then credit to her, if it is not true then brickbats to her, not to me. I neither know about nor care about ProThaiExpat's personal experiences, views, sneers, snide insinuations, pomposities or anything else. I started this thread to help others and I don't care to be sniped at for doing so. The situation is as I originally posted and it really is as simple as that.

Hope this helps improve the signal/noise ratio.

Rich

Rich,

We are all grateful that you posted your 'new' experience at Bangkok immigration so quickly on this site.

It will surely help the ones who want to get prepared and if they don't well they will have to do the running like you did.

The same goes for the OP (sorry cannot rememebr who) who reported having being told to get his pension letter certified by the MFA(although it seems and I repeat it seems it might be enforced from 1 October as per Pattaya reports)

I also know for a fact that even though I went more than 3 years ago for my first extension armed with all the papers that were required according to this forum, well my local immigration Office in Nan wanted an extra letter from my embassy cerifying my adress on the other hand I was also told to make sure that Ic ould prove the funds came from abroad. Well they did not check and did not care but did make sure the balance of the book was the exact same balance to the yen of the statement letter...

I have learned to get extra prepared and I will make sure my next extension application I will have the proof of origin of the funds (which by the way is not new, what seems to be new is that you have been told to prove it with a specific form)

I still say that the official rules (the written ones that Maestro has posted) are very simple and leave a lot of open holes/interpretation.

This has been used by some smart guys and they now are trying it seems in my opinion to close the holes....

Please keep reporting what you have experienced giving the name of the immigration office and the most detailsyou can to help others decide for themselved if they want to get prepared (maybe in vain) or not