Using an overseas Debit Card to minimise paying tax for those of us staying over 180 days

10 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

You mean I filled out all of the forms correctly (twice so far), gave them all the docs and bank account statements they needed, a guy outside the building did a quick check, and the guy inside with the uniform checked again and followed the same set of functions he has done ten thousand times, then a day later they stamp my passport and that is that.

Yes, that's it, but maybe next year you will need one more document, that document being from the TRD.  I know, I know, rocket science.  :smile:

I expect the cost will be 1900 baht the same as the last two years.

You can expect whatever you want, but TIT.

I wonder how they would trace my 20 bank accounts in the UK and the many transactions I make between them.

What have those accounts got to do with remitted funds to Thailand?

You are confusing remitted funds with world wide income. 

I do not have to bring that much money into Thailand as I have no rent to pay as the house has been bought already, and my car is paid for, so I pay for electricity, water, beer, and food, but I cook at home anyway as I use NZ and Ozzie beef and lamb, etc as I don't like the local low-quality stuff.

And your point is? 

In one post you are saying the Thai's couldn't organize a p*ss up in as brewery, therefore, there's no way they will be collecting taxes in 2025, and in this post you say you don't remit much money so will have little to no tax to pay.  

What's happened to them not having the ability to collect any tax at all?  :smile:

I have 3000 baht spending money to spend each day but that is hard to spend unless I throw half of it away. 

Again, your point is????

As I said before, they are after the very rich Thais who have millions of dollars hidden overseas, not us small fish whom they have no interest in. 

Do you have a link for this? 

Computer data bases will group all residents for tax purposes together.  Obviously, the immigration data base will be the first, showing someone has been inside Thailand for more than 180 days in a calendar year.  

I accept some high net worth individuals may be selected for greater scrutiny, but a tax resident is a tax resident, and once over the threshold, there's a quid in it for Thailand, and I can't see them walking away from that money.

As I have posted in the past, the tax clearance certificate that MAY be needed for an annual extension next year might be like the Certificate of Residence.  It should be free, but most pay 300 baht for it.  Maybe the TRD document will be a flat 500 or 1000 baht fee, no other checks made.  Just a new earner, and the money goes all the way to the top. 

Who knows what will happen next year, but I just can't see it all disappearing.      

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I have been told that job was relegated to bar girls a long time ago, once you have bought them a house, and a car, and paid to keep the mum, dad, and the sick buffalo for a few years many farangs end up being skint, hence the move on to the next mug who turns up. 🤣

Many on this forum see "gifting" as a loophole.  It very well may be, and should it be, how long before they close the loophole when they see a high percentage of foreigners just remitting funds into their wife's / girlfriend's bank account and avoiding this tax? 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2024 at 7:38 AM, JamesPhuket10 said:

I can imagine all of the low-income yet self-important pensioners in a panic as they think the tax people have time to chase after their few shillings

If they make a TRD document a requirement for the annual extension, no need to "chase" anyone. 

It would bring the foreigners to the TRD.  They will line up to be milked, but hey, there's no way the Thai authorities would have ever have thought of this idea.  It's all speculation, scaremongering, fake news, my opinion etc etc.  :smile:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Many on this forum see "gifting" as a loophole.  It very well may be, and should it be, how long before they close the loophole when they see a high percentage of foreigners just remitting funds into their wife's / girlfriend's bank account and avoiding this tax? 

This will probably very much depend upon the TRDs intentions for the last, and subsequent possible, change.

There is significant speculation that the intention was to target wealthy Thai tax avoiders and that foreigners are minor collateral damage.

If that is true, then, unless those foreigners using the gift possibility to avoid tax start shouting from the rooftops that they are avoiding Thai tax and so making the TRD loose face, then it is quite possible, even likely, that nothing will change.

You seem to forget that foreign tax payers in Thailand who have to do their taxes themselves are a tiny fraction of the tax base

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have come across many a farang who need not worry about paying tax any more, they have been well and truly fleeced by their ex-girlfriend who have already moved onto the next lamb for the slaughter. 

I met one such type in Hua Hin years ago, we had a few beers together and he was handing out 1000 baht tips to the girls in the bar, I asked him what he was doing and he said he had lost a house and a car to his girlfriend in Isaan and was on his way back to live in the USA, he said they had taken 99% of what he had so they may as well have the rest.

I gave the girls a tip of 50 baht, they said I was "kin yow" (I don't know the spelling but it means you are mean", I said no, I am "kin yow mark, and that is the way I will stay. " 🤣

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Yes, that's it, but maybe next year you will need one more document, that document being from the TRD.  I know, I know, rocket science.  :smile:

You can expect whatever you want, but TIT.

What have those accounts got to do with remitted funds to Thailand?

You are confusing remitted funds with world wide income. 

And your point is? 

In one post you are saying the Thai's couldn't organize a p*ss up in as brewery, therefore, there's no way they will be collecting taxes in 2025, and in this post you say you don't remit much money so will have little to no tax to pay.  

What's happened to them not having the ability to collect any tax at all?  :smile:

Again, your point is????

Do you have a link for this? 

Computer data bases will group all residents for tax purposes together.  Obviously, the immigration data base will be the first, showing someone has been inside Thailand for more than 180 days in a calendar year.  

I accept some high net worth individuals may be selected for greater scrutiny, but a tax resident is a tax resident, and once over the threshold, there's a quid in it for Thailand, and I can't see them walking away from that money.

As I have posted in the past, the tax clearance certificate that MAY be needed for an annual extension next year might be like the Certificate of Residence.  It should be free, but most pay 300 baht for it.  Maybe the TRD document will be a flat 500 or 1000 baht fee, no other checks made.  Just a new earner, and the money goes all the way to the top. 

Who knows what will happen next year, but I just can't see it all disappearing.      

They can't even get the TM47 to work properly online and that is a doodle for us software engineers who know what we are doing to write and test.

So I can't see them managing to produce a full tax system tracker, it will be well beyond their capabilities. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/2/2024 at 3:16 PM, JamesPhuket10 said:

They can't even get the TM47 to work properly online and that is a doodle for us software engineers who know what we are doing to write and test.

So I can't see them managing to produce a full tax system tracker, it will be well beyond their capabilities. 

You still don't get it. 

You are looking at it like it should be / will be an efficient and accurate tax system. 

As I have said before, maybe all it will be is some BS money grab for a document that is a flat fee to obtain for most of us.  For high net worth individuals, they may actually apply the law and audit them.  It MAY be required for the annual extension, so we will all have to pay "something" for it.  

Basically, it's possible we will all have to pay "something" and "something" may just be a "fee" like for the Certificate of Residence that is free, but most pay 300 baht for.  Not much "software engineering" involved for this money earner. 

On 9/2/2024 at 3:10 PM, JamesPhuket10 said:

I have come across many a farang who need not worry about paying tax any more, they have been well and truly fleeced by their ex-girlfriend who have already moved onto the next lamb for the slaughter. 

Why do you say "have" been fleeced?  May are still being fleeced I post.  :smile:

I met one such type in Hua Hin years ago, we had a few beers together and he was handing out 1000 baht tips to the girls in the bar, I asked him what he was doing and he said he had lost a house and a car to his girlfriend in Isaan and was on his way back to live in the USA, he said they had taken 99% of what he had so they may as well have the rest.

Did he make it back to the US, or become a member of the Hua Hin Balcony Flying Club? 

]

I gave the girls a tip of 50 baht, they said I was "kin yow" (I don't know the spelling but it means you are mean", I said no, I am "kin yow mark, and that is the way I will stay. " 

I don't tip, because I couldn't care what Thai whores think.  Silly you.   :cheesy:

On 9/2/2024 at 11:01 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

This will probably very much depend upon the TRDs intentions for the last, and subsequent possible, change.

Why would it have to be a "last and subsequent change?"  You know what it's like here, they change things like the weather, even their governments. 

There is significant speculation that the intention was to target wealthy Thai tax avoiders and that foreigners are minor collateral damage.

I accept that, and that's why I have said, in my opinion, we will all have to pay "something" with "something" not necessarily being one's correct amount of tax, but "something." 

If that is true, then, unless those foreigners using the gift possibility to avoid tax start shouting from the rooftops that they are avoiding Thai tax and so making the TRD loose face, then it is quite possible, even likely, that nothing will change.

I expect many creative, but legal, ways for foreigners to minimize their tax liability to be discussed in 2025, based on however the Thai authorities implement this tax policy.  Minimizing tax is not illegal. 

That said, if they make it a flat fee for a document for an annual extension, some may pay when they shouldn't have to be paying anything, and others may pay less when they should be paying more, but either way, it's a new earner that for Thailand, legit or otherwise, that didn't exist in 2024.

You seem to forget that foreign tax payers in Thailand who have to do their taxes themselves are a tiny fraction of the tax base

No, I don't forget that.  It's just that the Thai government will take every baht form everyone, and no free passes for farang. 

As I have said many times, everyone is looking at this policy as if it will be implemented to the letter of the law.  It could very well be like the Certificate of Residence, and we all just have to pay a flat fee for a document for the annual extension.  

Time will tell.