Mystery Deepens: Missing British Man Boarded Flight from Thailand

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I think the simplest and most logical answer to that is the huge cost of changing all the road signs. (plus maps and travel guides etc)

The bigger confusion came when they switched from selling fuel in gallons to liters in 1995. So now how does the Great British public express fuel consumption?

Miles per litre, litres per 100 km/miles, all then converted to MPG.

At least the computers in modern UK cars still give it in MPG if you set it up correctly. And the Odometers are still in Miles. 

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Miles per litre, litres per 100 km/miles, all then converted to MPG.

I think that's how I did it, but a lot of hide bound Brits don't do change very easily. It took many folks years just to accept kilograms instead of pounds and ounces.

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How confusing for the poor motorists! You break down and call the AA who asks where you are.

Oh, I am at motorway marker post no. 5      Where's that asks AA    3 miles from the junction   555

Glad to see that Google Maps etc are still in miles in UK.

The AA or emergency responders will know exactly where you are by asking you what is the nearest marker post number and your direction of travel, there isn't just one number on the post it's kilometres and how many 10ths of a kilometre. Very simple and easy. 

I'm glad to see miles on Google map, but I live in Thailand so doesn't concern me.

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The AA or emergency responders will know exactly where you are by asking you what is the nearest marker post number and your direction of travel, there isn't just one number on the post it's kilometres and how many 10ths of a kilometre. Very simple and easy. 

I'm glad to see miles on Google map, but I live in Thailand so doesn't concern me.

Not very simple and easy if you have been using miles all your motoring life.

But let's end this thread here, OK?

Have they found him or not?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2024 at 11:54 AM, fredwiggy said:

They keep records of people who actually do border the plane of course, by checking in at showing your boarding pass. Where could he disappear from the plane to border control? They won't tell anyone besides the authorities any information about passengers, to safeguard their, and others flight.

maybe no show for flight from Finland to UK, after he arrived from Bangkok

48 minutes ago, steve187 said:

maybe no show for flight from Finland to UK, after he arrived from Bangkok

Maybe due to Brexit he now needs a Visa for Finland and is now stuck in No Mans Lands with Tom Hanks 🤣

I'm very suspicious of the whole story of someone that goes from the UK to Thailand for 4 days, then vanishes when returning via Finland. Sounds like the usual Social Media garbage of a made up story in order to go viral and get lots of Likes

Edited by Joe Farang
sic
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Airports tend to be pretty secure, so he would have had to clear Finnish immigration to do that. No evidence offered yet that he did do that.

He didn't have what now? He most likely had a r/t ticket on AY and, if his flight originated from MAN (he lives in the north of England so unlikely to have used LHR), there's no same-day transfer BKK-HEL-MAN so a +16 hour layover. Even if he had used LHR, most of those connections also require clearing immigration and a night in a hotel.

HEL air side is single-terminal so no need to pass through immigration. It's a very nice airport, but not so big that one could 'disappear' for 16 hours, let alone several days.

Actually there were two direct HEL-MAN flights on 26th of July and the later, AY1365, would have been perfect for him as it departed an hour and a half after AY142 arrived. 

image.png.3b04b717bdb2431aaf0a7896a6391091.png

image.png.d5e8935cea99338141a94dd402bb74b3.png

On 8/8/2024 at 9:42 PM, Antti said:

Actually there were two direct HEL-MAN flights on 26th of July and the later, AY1365, would have been perfect for him as it departed an hour and a half after AY142 arrived. 

image.png.3b04b717bdb2431aaf0a7896a6391091.png

image.png.d5e8935cea99338141a94dd402bb74b3.png

That connection isn't recommended by AY themselves due to the short connection time. Possible if hand-carry only, but if the inbound from BKK was delayed instead of early, it's the airport hotel.

Friends being quoted in The Sun a few days back say "Yes the flights were all booked we've seen the confirmations in his emails." so they would have the information if he had planned for a tight connection or a layover at HEL.

Anyway, it looks like he's called family to say he's OK but hasn't revealed where he is and, unbelievably after tearing both the Yorkshire and Thailand police a new rsole for being unhelpful, they didn't even ask him where he is or when he will return home.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/29778085/missing-brit-simon-robinson-is-found-safe/

Some mothers do have 'em!