Advice Needed: Best Visa + Extension Option for Thai Spouse and Child Dependant

I am seeking advice on the best steps to take for obtaining a visa.

In January, I will be going abroad to apply for a parental dependant/spouse visa for 3 months, which I plan to extend for a year. Could someone please advise me on the best option based on my situation?

My Situation:

• Marital Status: I am married to a Thai citizen.
  • Child: We have a daughter who was born out of wedlock, but we married soon after her birth 9 years ago. My name is on my daughter's birth certificate.
  • Citizenship: My daughter is a Thai citizen and attends school in Thailand. She has a tambien baan (house registration document).
  • Dependency: My daughter depends solely on me as the breadwinner.

Questions:

1. Embassy/Consulate: Which is the best embassy or consulate to get the 90-day spousal or parental dependant visa from, if applying from Thailand?
  2. Visa Type: Should I apply for a spousal visa or a child dependant visa? I have seen conflicting information about the parental dependant visa requirements:
    • Some sources state you need to be the sole guardian.
    • Others mention the child needs to be born in wedlock.

Financial Requirements:

• Parental Dependant Visa: I understand this visa requires 400k THB in the bank for a minimum of 7 days before applying for an extension (please confirm if this is the case, especially in the Samut Prakan office).
  • Spousal Visa: This visa requires 400k THB in the bank for a minimum of 2 months, which is more challenging for me to meet in that timeframe.

Summary:

Given my circumstances, which visa should I pursue, and what are the specific requirements for each? Any guidance, especially from those with similar experiences, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Once in Thailand you will be pushed towards the Marriage Extension. 400,000 Baht for 2 months.

You can always get a 60 day extension to give you more time.

There is nothing to stop you arriving in Thailand on a Visa Exempt Entry. 60 days.

Then do everything within Thailand.

Where are you now?

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Once in Thailand you will be pushed towards the Marriage Extension. 400,000 Baht for 2 months.

You can always get a 60 day extension to give you more time.

There is nothing to stop you arriving in Thailand on a Visa Exempt Entry. 60 days.

Then do everything within Thailand.

Where are you now?

Now in Thailand. For the past 9 years I have done a non-0 multiple entry spousal visa from Laos (valid one year).  Now Laos requires 400k in bank for two months to obtain this visa.  So I'm loooking at my best options. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, steve187 said:

why not do a conversion within Thailand to a non immigrant 'O' married visa

I am currently on that. It will expire at the end of this month, so I will leave before it expires, then after 90 days, extend for 60 days which will take me to the end of Janauary.  So I am currently planning for this.

3 hours ago, KruAlastair said:

Should I apply for a spousal visa or a child dependant visa?

You most likely/certainly will not be able to obtain non O based on Thai child.

You will obtain non O based on marriage since you are married to thai national. 

You will need 400k in Thai bank account in your name only 2 months prior to application and maintained during under consideration period.

Forget non O (Thai child dependant)

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You most likely/certainly will not be able to obtain non O based on Thai child.

You will obtain non O based on marriage since you are married to thai national. 

You will need 400k in Thai bank account in your name only 2 months prior to application and maintained during under consideration period.

Forget non O (Thai child dependant)

Why is that? Is it because my child was born out of wedlock? 

4 minutes ago, KruAlastair said:

So it would be best to get a 90 day spousal visa from Laos and then extend in the case of staying with wife. 

imo You could just border bounce which currently provides a 60 day permit. Which is extendable by 30 days.

Then obtain non O marriage.

Then subsequent 12 month extension....OR

Depending on how long you plan to stay you can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

imo You could just border bounce which currently provides a 60 day permit. Which is extendable by 30 days.

Then obtain non O marriage.

Then subsequent 12 month extension....OR

Depending on how long you plan to stay you can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

Thing is, I live here (in Thailand), and have been doing multiple entry non-o's for a good 10 years. I'm thinking now whether or not it's easier to just get another multi non-o with 400k in my pocket rather than doing a single entry then a 1 year extension.  Thing is the 400k will be coming from the UK and would rather I show it in my UK account.  But on every consulate website I've seen they ask for it to be in a Thai bank. Which is subject to tax. 

12 hours ago, KruAlastair said:

I am currently on that. It will expire at the end of this month, so I will leave before it expires, then after 90 days, extend for 60 days which will take me to the end of Janauary.  So I am currently planning for this.

What exactly expires at the end of this month, the validity of your visa, or your permission of stay?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KruAlastair said:

.  But on every consulate website I've seen they ask for it to be in a Thai bank. Which is subject to tax. 

It won't be subject to tax if you bring it with you and declare it, I also don't think it will be taxed sending it here, I send my money here every year but my money is below the UK tax threshold.

2 questions do you already have a Thai bank account ? What immigration office will you use to make your extension ? Edit Do you actually have 400k ?

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You do realize that for the 12 month extension the 400k only needs to be in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months plus under consideration period and then can be spent. 

While I'll agree it is best to keep it under the Consideration period as I always do, but my IO in Trat has never checked my account again, in & out with the new extension (not sure I even sign anything. and even your wife or someone else can go in and get it TTBOMK)

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

While I'll agree it is best to keep it under the Consideration period as I always do, but my IO in Trat has never checked my account again, in & out with the new extension (not sure I even sign anything. and even your wife or someone else can go in and get it TTBOMK)

A friend once had his application accepted by the local IO, but returned by the regional IO two weeks later, requesting he resubmits with a new set of improved quality copies that they could read without straining their eyes. Had he withdrawn any of that 400K he'd have been in a pickle!

Good advice to keep it in the account until the application is approved.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

A friend once had his application accepted by the local IO, but returned by the regional IO two weeks later, requesting he resubmits with a new set of improved quality copies that they could read without straining their eyes. Had he withdrawn any of that 400K he'd have been in a pickle!

Good advice to keep it in the account until the application is approved.

Well that was his fault really and the local IO for accepting them., my copies are of good quality and all done on the same day at a good Photo-cum-copy shop, not far from my IO.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well that was his fault really and the local IO for accepting them., my copies are of good quality and all done on the same day at a good Photo-cum-copy shop, not far from my IO.

Absolutely, but I'm just pointing out you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

• Like 1

if in thailand, count the same stuff for being a parent of a thai child extension, as marriage... 400k 2 months in advance, photos all around the house, bring the child, don't touch money till a month later when you get your OK stamp...

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It won't be subject to tax if you bring it with you and declare it, I also don't think it will be taxed sending it here, I send my money here every year but my money is below the UK tax threshold.

2 questions do you already have a Thai bank account ? What immigration office will you use to make your extension ? Edit Do you actually have 400k ?

Hi thanks for the reply. I have two Thai bank accounts: a standard savings account and another that offers a small interest rate which I primarily use for savings. My income comes from two sources—one through my British Monzo account and the other directly into my non-interest-bearing Thai Bank account. I'll be handling my immigration matters at the Samut Prakan office. If everything goes as planned, I should have the 400,000 THB ready by mid-December.  But it'll be the equivilent in GBP and am very reluctant to transfer any foreign money into any Thai savings account in case of it being subject to tax.  If I need to access that account, I usually just withdraw in cash.  

Edited by KruAlastair

19 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

go to Vientiane or Savannakhet and get the 90 day single entry Non-O based on marriage to a thai. There are no proof of funds to get that visa

THEN come back in, get the 400K baht in a thai bank account in your name only for 2 months before you apply for the yearly extension at the immigration office

There's no way around banking the funds here if you're going for a year extension and you come from a country whose embassy doesn't issue the affidavit of income notary (which the brit consulate here does NOT do)

Sounds good. I’ve been considering going to Ho Chi Minh for the Multiple Entry Spousal visa. I emailed the embassy there and asked about the financial requirements and I received an email back from them saying I need to bring six months’ worth of bank statements, but they didn’t specify the exact financial requirements. It seems a bit risky, so I might just go with your method instead.

17 hours ago, Liquorice said:

What exactly expires at the end of this month, the validity of your visa, or your permission of stay?

My visa expires the end of this month, so I plan to leave the country the day before it expires to get the additional 90 days, and then I'll extend for another 60 days afterward

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

How long does it usually take to get approved ?

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I agree with above post.

You do realize that for the 12 month extension the 400k only needs to be in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months plus under consideration period and then can be spent. 

Thinking a single entry non O and subsequent 12 month extension is a good option.

+ A reentry permit if you plan to exit Thailand. 

By "consideration period" you mean the period of time the 400k needs to sit in the account right? 

1 hour ago, KruAlastair said:

By "consideration period" you mean the period of time the 400k needs to sit in the account right? 

When you apply for 12 months extension based on marriage you are given a date to return..

That can sometimes be eg 4  weeks away..

Refered to as under consideration period. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KruAlastair said:

No. I apply for my marriage extension 1 month early, as many do, then normally after 7 days I get the Home visit by immigration who phone 2 hrs. before. 

Then I go to immigration on the day that they have already put in my Passport to report. They do phone me normally say a day or 2 before and say it's ready, but I still go on the day that is in my PP. Walk in wait 5 min, get the passport stamped with my new extension.

Consideration Period as above.......................

Money in bank 2 months before is normally referred to as Maturity time

5 hours ago, KruAlastair said:

Hi thanks for the reply. I have two Thai bank accounts: a standard savings account and another that offers a small interest rate which I primarily use for savings. My income comes from two sources—one through my British Monzo account and the other directly into my non-interest-bearing Thai Bank account. I'll be handling my immigration matters at the Samut Prakan office. If everything goes as planned, I should have the 400,000 THB ready by mid-December.  But it'll be the equivilent in GBP and am very reluctant to transfer any foreign money into any Thai savings account in case of it being subject to tax.  If I need to access that account, I usually just withdraw in cash.  

Once you have your one year extension, you can open Thai bank accounts that give better interest. Some use 'Term Deposit' accounts these are accepted by Immigration as long as if needed you can withdraw the money at any time.

I use a Krungsri bank account (aka the Yellow bank) they have an account called

Mee Tae Dai ----up to 2 million baht pays 0.9 interest PA paid monthly, no tax to pay as it's stopped at source, comes with an ATM card and a bank book, more than 2 withdrawals a month then you pay 50b withdrawal fee.

I prefer them to any other bank, been with them 20yrs, always friendly and can produce your letter and statements in 20 min, normally. As my IO want all documents the same day. Some banks like BKB take days to get these. I use BKB for sending money to normal saving acc.  as they often give a better ex-rate, and some direct debits I have like Electric bill and my TOT fiber internet. I normally leave enough in that to cover a years payment of my bills + a bit more. I hope this helps..

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KruAlastair said:

The 400K needs to be in a Thai bank account in your sole name for 2 months prior to the date of submitting the application.

Extensions of stay based on Thai spouse have to be approved by the regional office.

Once your IO accept your application, they will give you a 30 day 'under consideration' stamp, to cover the processing time, which includes a return date to receive the 1 year extension stamp.

It is only 'advised' you keep the 400K in your account until you receive the 1 year extension stamp. If your local IO accept your application, the chances of it being refused for some obscure reason by the regional office is less than 0.001% IMO.

Certain IO's date the 30 day 'under consideration' period from the date you submit the application, whilst others date it from the end of your current permission of stay.

How long it takes to process can vary from 3 to 10 weeks.

Examples;
My extension renewal date is 10th July.

In 2023, I submitted my application on 7th June, (33 days prior to my current extension expiring)

I received a 30 under considerations stamp dated from 10 th July to 9th August (the date to return).

My IO called me on 25th July to advise my application had been approved.

You cannot be on overstay with a 30 day under consideration stamp as the new extension is backdated, in my case to 10th July.

Total processing time, 7th June to 25th July (7 weeks).

In 2024, I submitted my application on 18th June, (23 days prior to my current extension expiring)
I received a 30 under considerations stamp dated from 10 th July to 9th August (the date to return).

My IO called me on 4th July to advise my application had been approved, however I didn't call at the IO until 9th July for the 1 year stamp.

Total processing time, 18th June to 4th July (17 days).

Marriageextension..thumb.jpg.34329662c1991497e449d6e3cb3a9876.jpg

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Once you have your one year extension, you can open Thai bank accounts that give better interest. Some use 'Term Deposit' accounts these are accepted by Immigration as long as if needed you can withdraw the money at any time.

I use a Krungsri bank account (aka the Yellow bank) they have an account called

Mee Tae Dai ----up to 2 million baht pays 0.9 interest PA paid monthly, no tax to pay as it's stopped at source, comes with an ATM card and a bank book, more than 2 withdrawals a month then you pay 50b withdrawal fee.

I prefer them to any other bank, been with them 20yrs, always friendly and can produce your letter and statements in 20 min, normally. As my IO want all documents the same day. Some banks like BKB take days to get these. I use BKB for sending money to normal saving acc.  as they often give a better ex-rate, and some direct debits I have like Electric bill and my TOT fiber internet. I normally leave enough in that to cover a years payment of my bills + a bit more. I hope this helps..

You actually have exactly the same Krungsri savings account as I have.  The standard savings account I have is KTB.  Do you use your Krungsri account to show the 400k? I've heard some IOs only want to see it in a standard non-interest account.

• Confused 1