UK state Pension qualifying Years.....

24 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I understand that part went to my occupational pension. I'm trying to see if I can top up that portion, but it seems unclear. I have posted the two contradictory items previously - I'll post the email that I'm told they will send when they figure it out.

If you worked in the UK immediately before moving to another country, you may be able to pay Class 2 contributions (around 200 GBP per year) for any gap years during which you were working abroad.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If you worked in the UK immediately before moving to another country, you may be able to pay Class 2 contributions (around 200 GBP per year) for any gap years during which you were working abroad.

I have POSTED the screenshots earlier. Thank you.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

I saw it.

If you were working abroad during any of those years you may be able to pay much lower contributions (Class 2).

I retired at 50 and have been here without working for 15 years. When I left I was told I'd paid MAX and no need to pay more then I went to Government Gateway and saw I was short - I put in my CF83 form to HMRC and got the letter saying I could not top-up.  A recent phone call was equally uncertain - I await the result.

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sad thing to me is that someone that has worked 35 years in the UK is entitled to the same full basic pension as someone sat on the dole for 35 years !

Why the government can refer to the pension as a welfare benefit, they made it one for some.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I understand that part went to my occupational pension. I'm trying to see if I can top up that portion, but it seems unclear. I have posted the two contradictory items previously - I'll post the email that I'm told they will send when they figure it out.

What you haven't indicated is your summary from the government gateway which would indicate your overall position. With the age now 66 there can be 50 qualifying years but only 35 are required.

The summary for mine says 48 complete years and one incomplete year. Yours may well say something like 32 complete years and 18 incomplete years.

The other thing is when were you told you had paid the MAX, if it was in 2009, or sometime before 2016, then the requirement would have been 30 years and they probably meant you had paid over that, but may not be the 35 years that came in in 2016.

From what you posted earlier I suspect you are missing 3 years so it would all depend on whether they can be paid for or not.

What you should accept is the government gateway doesn't operate in real time, the information cannot be said to be contradictory, just not up to date.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

What you should accept is the government gateway doesn't operate in real time, the information cannot be said to be contradictory, just not up to date.

It does for tax code changes in virtually real time

Last two times I had to ring after doing it online and they somehow messed it up (think I mentioned somewhere in this thread) both times I rang them and within an hour both times I had an Email notifying change of coding if I viewed GG once again

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

It does for tax code changes in virtually real time

Last two times I had to ring after doing it online and they somehow messed it up (think I mentioned somewhere in this thread) both times I rang them and within an hour both times I had an Email notifying change of coding if I viewed GG once again

I don't go very often these day so you may well be right.

The point in question is NI and I seem to remember It was some time after April before the NI history was updated.

On 8/13/2024 at 3:35 PM, sandyf said:

What you haven't indicated is your summary from the government gateway which would indicate your overall position. With the age now 66 there can be 50 qualifying years but only 35 are required.

The summary for mine says 48 complete years and one incomplete year. Yours may well say something like 32 complete years and 18 incomplete years.

The other thing is when were you told you had paid the MAX, if it was in 2009, or sometime before 2016, then the requirement would have been 30 years and they probably meant you had paid over that, but may not be the 35 years that came in in 2016.

From what you posted earlier I suspect you are missing 3 years so it would all depend on whether they can be paid for or not.

I retired at 50 with 30 max qualifying years they now say 14 years are light. Let's see what they say when they email.

On 8/12/2024 at 3:58 AM, sandyf said:

Strange how many that were contracted out seem to think they are being deprived of a full state pension.

Not sure if you mean me, as i felt very lucky to of been given the chance to get a full pension after being contracted out.

Everyone was made aware in 2013 what was going to happen in 2016 and given their individual figures ( My company via HMRC, not sure about others but i would of thought it mandatory if in a contracted out scheme)

What people failed to understand is that when contracted out they were guaranteed to get the same or a better amount , however, that missing proportion would of been entwined within their company/private pension

As i have already stated my figures stated i would be 6 years short of a full government pension(From that time with 35/36 years of contributions with 25 years contracted out) but if i continued to work i would receive a full pension after another 6 years (taking me to just age 56), £30 a week better off then my figures under the previous contracted out pension , a win win for everyone who had the time to do the extra years. 

The reality is the only people that lost out were people who retired way before the 65 year retirement age as they would of had the time to regain the lost years and be better off for it.

Not sure about if the people who retired just prior to the new changes, under the old scheme

People on the dole also a win win

3 hours ago, Dene16 said:

What people failed to understand is that when contracted out they were guaranteed to get the same or a better amount , however, that missing proportion would of been entwined within their company/private pension

Indeed. I see  many whinging about a reduced state pension due to contracting out without any acknowledgement they are receiving their Additional State Pension as part of an occupational pension.

One of the main problems was a lack of clarity from the government. In recent years they have introduced COPE but I doubt many have paid attention.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/blog/retirement/cope-and-the-state-pension

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Indeed. I see  many whinging about a reduced state pension due to contracting out without any acknowledgement they are receiving their Additional State Pension as part of an occupational pension.

One of the main problems was a lack of clarity from the government. In recent years they have introduced COPE but I doubt many have paid attention.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/blog/retirement/cope-and-the-state-pension

I completely accept contracted out. My issue is how to buy back in LOL

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

I completely accept contracted out. My issue is how to buy back in LOL

As far as i am aware there has never been any such option.

When contacting out was an ongoing arrangement, i believe that those that had contracted out on a personal basis could wind up their personal pension and contract in again, those on a company pension scheme didn't have that option.

The terms "contracting out" and "contracting in" referred to the governments Earnings Related State Pension which came to an end with the 2016 pension reforms. It became the New State Pension as opposed to the previous 2 tier arrangement of Basic State Pension plus Earnings Related Pension.

Gents, do you know of a link to a NI calculator, as have a number of missing years, 3 historic, early 1980's, so can't address as more than 6 years ago. However have 3 years from 2020 that I could topup. So wanting to check benefits (if any) of paying my £2k+ shortfall, plus the 2023/2024 figure when it's published, in terms of increased weekly payout.

Bit puzzled in terms of the 35 years eligibility status, as I believe this is effective from 2016 Pension Changes, so in effect only applies from 2051 onwards.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

As far as i am aware there has never been any such option.

When contacting out was an ongoing arrangement, i believe that those that had contracted out on a personal basis could wind up their personal pension and contract in again, those on a company pension scheme didn't have that option.

The terms "contracting out" and "contracting in" referred to the governments Earnings Related State Pension which came to an end with the 2016 pension reforms. It became the New State Pension as opposed to the previous 2 tier arrangement of Basic State Pension plus Earnings Related Pension.

But as you can see by my scan, they offered it. 824 pounds? Anyway, I'm awaiting further clarification.

37 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Gents, do you know of a link to a NI calculator, as have a number of missing years, 3 historic, early 1980's, so can't address as more than 6 years ago. However have 3 years from 2020 that I could topup. So wanting to check benefits (if any) of paying my £2k+ shortfall, plus the 2023/2024 figure when it's published, in terms of increased weekly payout.

Bit puzzled in terms of the 35 years eligibility status, as I believe this is effective from 2016 Pension Changes, so in effect only applies from 2051 onwards.

You need to call and check first if paying any extra amounts now will actually add to your payments. Every one is different and depends on how many years you had when the change was made in 2016 and under which system, old or new, you would be better off. 

The 35 years is what you need at your state retirement age for a full "new"pension - as long as not contracted out - nothing to do with adding 35 to 20216 :wink:

Do you have a Govt. Gateway account as that will give you an idea?

7 hours ago, topt said:

Do you have a Govt. Gateway account as that will give you an idea?

Thanks for reply. Yes have  GG login, was hoping to save time by not having to call. Will Skype them tomorrow for some clarity.

16 hours ago, BobBKK said:

But as you can see by my scan, they offered it. 824 pounds? Anyway, I'm awaiting further clarification.

I think you are misreading that. Under the 2 tier system you had to pay the basic part of NI but  the additional part was not required to get the basic state pension. If you were unemployed the government would pay the basic part for you.

Previously you said you had been here 15 years so the list of £824 looks to me like a list of years you never paid any NI and a shortfall in the 35 years required. This appears to be missing years rather than anything to do with contracting out.

Missing years could be paid for with some constraints, time may well be one of them.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I think you are misreading that. Under the 2 tier system you had to pay the basic part of NI but  the additional part was not required to get the basic state pension. If you were unemployed the government would pay the basic part for you.

Previously you said you had been here 15 years so the list of £824 looks to me like a list of years you never paid any NI and a shortfall in the 35 years required. This appears to be missing years rather than anything to do with contracting out.

Missing years could be paid for with some constraints, time may well be one of them.

The letter - I posted - says not. The GG says I can.  I await the email.

I spoke to somebody recently at state pensions department, my question was is the state pension frozen when i leave the uk or  my 67 birthday.  The person i spoke to wasnt sure but thought it was from my 67 birthday.  Also said to inform them  before i leave the UK which i thought  was a bit strange.  Can anybody please confirm is it when you leave UK or 67 birthday.    Thanks

On 8/9/2024 at 3:18 PM, BobBKK said:

I think I made a mistake. 211 a week, 221 a week with paying 11,500

520 increase a year - 22 years to break even - so my original approx 20 years was correct

Screenshot (192).png

The number of years required depends on how many years an individual was contracted out and could be anywhere between 35 and 47 years under the new state pension.

Assuming the statement is correct and updated, you can buy about 1½ years more of pension before maxing it out adding £6.32 (& £3.63 for the final part year), this payment would be recouped within about 3 years of receiving the pension. 

If you're going to top up, use 2020-21 and 2021-22 and save 50 quid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The number of years required depends on how many years an individual was contracted out and could be anywhere between 35 and 47 years under the new state pension.

Assuming the statement is correct and updated, you can buy about 1½ years more of pension before maxing it out adding £6.32 (& £3.63 for the final part year), this payment would be recouped within about 3 years of receiving the pension. 

If you're going to top up, use 2020-21 and 2021-22 and save 50 quid. 

Agreed. I think the poster bob BBK has mis-interpreted the term "payable years " as being mandatory instead of  available for voluntary contributions ( if reqd). 

19 hours ago, BobBKK said:

The letter - I posted - says not. The GG says I can.  I await the email.

If you want to read the GG that way, up to you.

The letter is more likely the reality.

3 hours ago, kevtheblue said:

I spoke to somebody recently at state pensions department, my question was is the state pension frozen when i leave the uk or  my 67 birthday.  The person i spoke to wasnt sure but thought it was from my 67 birthday.  Also said to inform them  before i leave the UK which i thought  was a bit strange.  Can anybody please confirm is it when you leave UK or 67 birthday.    Thanks

What is the significance of 67 birthday?

The state pension would be frozen from the date the DWP were aware you left the UK.

If you are not yet in receipt, you will tell them where you are living when you claim, 2 different application forms, UK and Overseas.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Just to update

Just checked GG and its already been updated and the 2 addiotional years added. They wouldnt have had the cheque until last Saturday or Monday latest

Not bad going at all.

Whilst not same Government department was also hugely impressed last year when received new Passport back in about 10 days from start to finish (within uk)

Edited by Chivas

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you want to read the GG that way, up to you.

The letter is more likely the reality.

Elsewhere in the GG I can assure you it says so EXPLICITLY and gives dates until 2026