Buying a new Windows key - my experience.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:47 AM, hkt83100 said:

Possibly the new "feature" of the frequent snapshots and screencopies contributes to the wear and tear of SSDs? I am glad I said Good-Bye to Windows decades ago, Linux is not asking for Keys.

Linux distros are garbage. Goodbye to that garbage.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

Why are you not sure?

Every legal copy of Windows has a paid license included. From that perspective every copy of Windows without a license is an unauthorized version. 

And by using Windows you have to agree to the user terms. At least Microsoft most probably sees it that way. quote "Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

Of course there will be different opinions here. Licensed software is always a topic of different viewpoints.

Edited by msbkk
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, msbkk said:

Not sure if Microsoft will agree with that. 

It's not a concern of mine that you wonder if Microsoft will agree with it 😊 

It's no different to me saying that you can borrow my bike any time that you want, but don't take it out on the motorway. But even if you take it out on the motorway, I'm not going to do anything about it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, msbkk said:

Every legal copy of Windows has a paid license included. From that perspective every copy of Windows without a license is an unauthorized version. 

And by using Windows you have to agree to the user terms. At least Microsoft most probably sees it that way. quote "Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

Of course there will be different opinions here. Licensed software is always a topic of different viewpoints.

"Legal copy" ....😊 You are making things up again. If I download Windows 11 from Microsoft servers, check the hash and then install it, I'm hardly going to be concerned as to whether my copy of Windows is 'genuine'. I'll know it is genuine. I don't need activation to help me verify that and since I haven't manually entered a key, I don't need to be concerned about the number of devices...

Using the word 'legal' in your statement is just a distraction. Even without activation, the software will work and there is nothing illegal with regard to my using it. You just used that word to try to give credence to your statement. But it doesn't apply. Even if it didn't fully comply with their terms, that does not make it illegal, in any sense of the word. Prove me wrong.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, msbkk said:

And I,m afraid your viewpoint of folk buying cheap license keys is flawed....they are legit...and they do work...give it a rest :thumbsup:

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, NowNow said:

"Legal copy" ....😊 You are making things up again. If I download Windows 11 from Microsoft servers, check the hash and then install it, I'm hardly going to be concerned as to whether my copy of Windows is 'genuine'. I'll know it is genuine. I don't need activation to help me verify that and since I haven't manually entered a key, I don't need to be concerned about the number of devices...

Using the word 'legal' in your statement is just a distraction. Even without activation, the software will work and there is nothing illegal with regard to my using it. You just used that word to try to give credence to your statement. But it doesn't apply. Even if it didn't fully comply with their terms, that does not make it illegal, in any sense of the word. Prove me wrong.

tell that to the police with warrant and army of lawyers they'll send you if you were reported to be using their products without a correct license, if you're small enough or just a single person sure they probably won't care but businesses do get audited and it's illegal 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, msbkk said:

Every legal copy of Windows has a paid license included.

Sigh. No, you can download and install a legal copy of Windows directly from M'soft without any paid license. See, you're "authorized":

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

And you can just go ahead and use it. You get a nag watermark; you can't personaize it.

2 hours ago, msbkk said:

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

"Helps," but isn't required. If your copy is genuine, as it definitely is when downloaded directly from M'soft, then the M'soft Software License Terms allow you to use it without the "help."

6 minutes ago, digbeth said:

tell that to the police with warrant and army of lawyers they'll send you if you were reported to be using their products without a correct license, if you're small enough or just a single person sure they probably won't care but businesses do get audited and it's illegal 

That's why I wrote "audited businesses" in my first post...but you didn't bother to read that before your silly made up rant, did you?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

if you were reported to be using their products without a correct license

You can use Windows w/o a license, legally. Nor is anybody suggesting using an "incorrect" license, whatever that is.

48 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You can use Windows w/o a license, legally. Nor is anybody suggesting using an "incorrect" license, whatever that is.

these cheap license are probably volume license originally sold to corporate installations, the resellers essentially has 'stolen' these license and sell them below cost or in breach of contract when they originally bought the license if they indeed obtained it themselves, ,  if your business were reported and audited, these would probably not count as having valid license 

6 minutes ago, digbeth said:

these cheap license are probably volume license originally sold to corporate installations, the resellers essentially has 'stolen' these license and sell them below cost or in breach of contract when they originally bought the license if they indeed obtained it themselves, ,  if your business were reported and audited, these would probably not count as having valid license 

What business? Are you doing the Strawman thing again?

Hardly worth mentioning your speculative guess at them being volume licences, when really you have no clue at all. A Volume Licence utilises KMS. OEM and Retail do not. Stop guessing and making up scenarios that don't apply to consumers here.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, NowNow said:

What business? Are you doing the Strawman thing again?

Hardly worth mentioning your speculative guess at them being volume licences, when really you have no clue at all. A Volume Licence utilises KMS. OEM and Retail do not. Stop guessing and making up scenarios that don't apply to consumers here.

for consumers, the worst that could happen is the key is revoked, the difference in cost savings between OEM keys and the dodgier keys are only a few hundred Baht, why take the risk? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

for consumers, the worst that could happen is the key is revoked, the difference in cost savings between OEM keys and the dodgier keys are only a few hundred Baht, why take the risk? 

Don't you get tired of making up such nonsense? Why not back up your assertion by linking to the comparative pricing?

https://www.advice.co.th/product/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows/windows-11-pro-64-bit-oem-fqc-10528-

Shows us the "few hundred baht" difference.

Apart from that, what risk? Even if an inexpensive key is 'revoked' in your worst case scenario....so what? Get another.

So far, everything you have written is just irrelevant nonsense or just patently untrue. Stop wasting our time here. Go to find somewhere else to play. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

33 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Is there a reason why you chose to compare a vendor selling an OEM package with a seller offering a retail package? Why not like for like? Compare with a cheaper OEM seller, such as; https://www.premiumcdkeys.com/products/windows-11-professional-oem-key 153 baht in comparison to 558 baht. Why should someone pay more? Is on legit and the other not? You have no idea, do you?

Your premise is nonsensical.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2