47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If they do refuse me an extension, it's 5 year DTV time, and still no money from me.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/dtv-visa-thailand

Do I pay Thai taxes on my foreign income as a DTV Visa Thailand holder?

This depends on the duration of your stay. According to the law, anyone who stays in Thailand for over 180 days out of a calendar year will be considered a tax resident by the Thai government. You will be liable to pay Thai taxes on your foreign income if you are a tax resident, even if you hold a Destination Thailand Visa. 

Due to updates to Thailand’s Tax Code in 2024, all foreign income of tax residents in Thailand is subject to income tax regardless of when/if it was brought into the country.

Edited by pauku1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you never encounter any Thai officials (except at borders), how would they know, or enforce?

Underestimating Thai officialdom by feeling superior—thinking 'I am smarter than everyone else and can beat the system'—usually leads to a predictable outcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Threequestions about procedure:

1) Thai Tax returns have to be submitted in Thai?  Therefore, all foreign documents would have to be translated. 

2) What would the approximate cost be for an agency to file a Thai Tax return for foreign tax resident? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, chiang mai said:

A DTA does not ensure that funds are not taxed twice. The purpose of a DTA is to identiify primary responsibility for the collection of tax and where appropriate, the secondary also. It is entirely feasible that funds arising in country A my be taxed at X percent. The DTA may then assign the right to tax those funds to country B, at Y percent. If Y percent is higher and country A does not issue a tax credit, or the tax credit is not usable for whatever reason, or the tax credit cannot be carried forward to a subsequent year (where tax years do not align) the funds will not only be taxed at a higher rate but potentially also taxed twice. I understand from past conversations that issuance of tax credits and carry forwards in Thailand is an issue where the way forward is unclear.

I over simplified it for the purposes of explaining to those that believe a DTA means if their money was taxed in their home country, then it can not be taxed in Thailand, which is a myth, and explained quite well by the guy in the youtube video I posted. 

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Threequestions about procedure:

1) Thai Tax returns have to be submitted in Thai?  Therefore, all foreign documents would have to be translated. 

2) What would the approximate cost be for an agency to file a Thai Tax return for foreign tax resident? 

Tax returns can be in English, forms are available.

My guess is it varies massively, based on location and whether you just want form filling or form filling and advice. Expect say 7k to 30k. The staff at the TRD are very good and will do it for you for free.

4 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Absolutely. It is simply never going to happen.

Like I have said in the past, the TRD may simply want 300, 500, or 1000 baht for a Certificate of Clearance each year, just like we pay 300 baht for a Certificate of Residence, when they should be free. 

They may chase high net worth individuals, but for your average expat pensioner, maybe it's all about paying a few baht for a document from the TRD each year and be on your merry way. 

Who knows at this stage, but it's an easy earner for them, and I can't see them walking away from easy money. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you never encounter any Thai officials (except at borders), how would they know, or enforce?

As I have said in the past, there is an immigration desk at the airports where people can pay their overstay fines. 

There very well may be a TRD desk in the future where the immigration guy says, "You have been in Thailand more than 180 days this calendar year, go over to the TRD desk then come back."  The computer will do the calculation, as it does for over stayers.  At the TRD desk, one may have to pay "something" not necessarily the correct amount of tax, but "something."  

Not a rumor, not scaremongering, just a prediction about what Thai authorities MAY do.  They already do it for over stayers.  It's possible they MAY also do it for tax collection. 

There already is a VAT return office at the airport for tourists. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Like I have said in the past, the TRD may simply want 300, 500, or 1000 baht for a Certificate of Clearance each year, just like we pay 300 baht for a Certificate of Residence, when they should be free. 

They may chase high net worth individuals, but for your average expat pensioner, maybe it's all about paying a few baht for a document from the TRD each year and be on your merry way. 

Who knows at this stage, but it's an easy earner for them, and I can't see them walking away from easy money. 

Or there again they may just want you to file your tax return and there will be no paid for alternative. My guess is that TRD will not follow the Immigration model, I'm betting this one is strictly above board.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

They will have something up their sleeve to force you into their tax system.  At this stage, what it is, we don't know, but there's a lot of money just sitting there, untapped, and I can't see the Thai's giving farang a free pass.

And there is even much more money to be milked from the locals, how is TRD going to force them to comply and pay?

I'm wondering because every single day I need to let pass motorbikes riding on the sidewalk although there's a big sign with cameras drawings stating "2,000 THB fine for driving vehicles on the pavement".

• Like 2

On 8/10/2024 at 8:12 AM, Moonlover said:

If they want me to register then they can come and invite me to,

Do you think their public announcements that have been in the news is their "invitation?  I am sure the Thai authorities now consider you as being "informed."

Sure, you can try doing "nothing" and pleading ignorance, but that may have some consequences, probably measured in baht. 

I think those that do nothing will just be easy targets for some quick money in the future.  A bit like saying, "no one else is wearing a helmet, so I thought I didn't need to wear one."  :smile:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

And there is even much more money to be milked from the locals, how is TRD going to force them to comply and pay?

I'm wondering because every single day I need to let pass motorbikes riding on the sidewalk although there's a big sign with cameras drawings stating "2,000 THB fine for driving vehicles on the pavement".

Many Thai's work in the cash economy. 

Foreigners, on the other hand, have to use the global financial banking system to remit their funds from their home country to Thailand, thus, a money paper trail, with precise amounts, times, and dates.  Gotcha.  :smile:

10 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Or there again they may just want you to file your tax return and there will be no paid for alternative. My guess is that TRD will not follow the Immigration model, I'm betting this one is strictly above board.

I am giving consideration to all possibilities of collection and enforcement.  Nothing is off the table.  They will not care about the chaos, just the revenue it brings in. 

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

BMT:  "I am here for my annual extension."

IO:  "Where your paper from TRD?"

BMT:  "I didn't know I needed a paper from the TRD."

IO:  "You need a paper from the TRD.  Come back when you have the TRD paper."

BMT:  "But extension finish soon." 

IO:  "Your problem, not mine." 

BMT:  "But, I not know about TRD paper."

IO:  "Next customer." 

Just another reason for it to be attached to the annual extension, to scoop up people pleading ignorance.   

Plead ignorance at your own risk. 

Many are lucky enough their renewal falls after the 31st March 2025, so they can sit back and wait and watch.

There will most likely be chaos, and most of it may not make any sense, to the point of being humorous for all of us, but at the end of the day, I just can't see the Thai's walking away from being able to extract some easy money, legit or otherwise, out of farang, and some significant money out of high net worth Thai's and foreigners. 

It might happen, but I'd just leave and buy a DTV.

Or failing that, abandon my house, mortgage and family for Cambodia or PI.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1