Repatriating Swift transfer of Bangkok Bank fixed account

I'm amazed by this. Everything I've read and been told is that it's impossible to transfer significant baht out of Thailand without a work permit or proving original source of funds. For me buying a condo 14 years ago I've pretty much written off ever selling it to send cash out as I no longer have any tranfer in source records.

Sounds like now I might be able to send 800k at a time claiming I'm repatriating visa funds 😀

Edited by Pattaya57

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I'm amazed by this. Everything I've read and been told is that it's impossible to transfer significant baht out of Thailand without a work permit or proving original source of funds. For me buying a condo 14 years ago I've pretty much written off ever selling it to send cash out as I no longer have any tranfer in source records.

I guess we'll know in a couple days. Of course, BB would have the 5yo records of my 2 Wise transfers to fund the account, don't know if they looked at that. 

2 hours ago, frantick said:

I guess we'll know in a couple days. Of course, BB would have the 5yo records of my 2 Wise transfers to fund the account, don't know if they looked at that. 

Ok, well that would be proof of source of funds and maybe why they insisted you go to your home branch where the funds came into?

I'm screwed. I opened Krungsri in the Avenue, it closed and I was transferred to big C branch on 2nd road which also closed. No idea where my new branch is now as they never told me 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57

Funds showed up this morning. Show Pending, but Wells Fargo puts "sure things", like pending Social Security payments into your available account balance. That was quick, and relatively easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Ok, well that would be proof of source of funds and maybe why they insisted you go to your home branch where the funds came into?

I'm screwed. I opened Krungsri in the Avenue, it closed and I was transferred to big C branch on 2nd road which also closed. No idea where my new branch is now as they never told me 😆 

But I don't know if they even looked at that, or know that the Wise Foreign deposits came from America, let alone, from my personal account. (I made many large transfers to a Thai account before. Don't ask, 555.) 

You should be able to go into any K bank and ask where your branch is. 

Ok @frantick one last food thing before we revert to money.

The Thai ladies here love Storming Crab at Rushmore Crossing, and I do too. Their fresh oysters are amazing. Of course my wife is tasked with providing the Thai chutney and chili sauce!

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Ok @frantick one last food thing before we revert to money.

The Thai ladies here love Storming Crab at Rushmore Crossing, and I do too. Their fresh oysters are amazing. Of course my wife is tasked with providing the Thai chutney and chili sauce!

Menu looks good! Will have to get myself a poboy and some gumbo. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I just wanted to update the info regarding using the phone app for Swift transfers. 

So, I had them scan my face as I mentioned in a previous post. I think they just took a photo; why, I don't know. Anyway, phone app says I can transfer ฿200k. I tried it earlier this week for ฿100k. App brought up an oblong circle with me, from my phone camera, in the center. Tried a couple times, too dark, blah, blah, call 1333 or something like that. 

Instead of calling, I reduced the amount to 49k, and was successful in sending the Swift transaction. (It doesn't do the face scan under ฿50k) Waited a day to see if it showed up in Wells Fargo, and there it was pending. The next day sent ฿49.5k more, no problem.

Leaving about ฿80k in Thailand although not sure if I'll ever return. I might try another transfer using my Thai phone from within the US. If that works, I might grab some of it, and transfer the remaining to a few 'friends' in Thailand. If it doesn't work, Bangkok Bank will be happy one day I suppose. 

1 week to go. 😭

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1