Olympic Boxer Imane Khelif Files online harassment Complaint

Social Media

image.png.2b39e61c945e0d822d1074fce5132f1d.png

Algerian boxer Imane Khelif, who recently made headlines for winning gold in the women’s welterweight final at the Paris Olympics, has found herself embroiled in a gender controversy that has escalated to the point of legal action. Following her victory over China's Yang Liu, Khelif’s triumph was overshadowed by a surge of online harassment, prompting her to file a legal complaint with the Paris Prosecutor's Office.

Khelif's lawyer, Nabil Boudi, confirmed that the complaint was filed on Friday. The 25-year-old boxer, who decisively won her Olympic title by unanimous decision, expressed her frustration over the harassment she has faced online. "All that is being said about me on social media is immoral. I want to change the minds of people around the world," Khelif said on Saturday, the day after her victory.

Her performance in the ring was nothing short of dominant, winning each of the three rounds on the judges' scorecards and celebrating her achievement by jumping into the arms of her trainer, who carried her around the arena in celebration. "For eight years, this has been my dream, and I'm now the Olympic champion and gold medallist," Khelif remarked through an interpreter, clearly elated by her accomplishment.

However, her success has been marred by the ongoing gender controversy. Khelif has faced intense scrutiny due to concerns raised by some over her eligibility to compete in women’s boxing. Critics have suggested that Khelif might have elevated testosterone levels, potentially giving her an unfair advantage and posing a danger to her opponents. These concerns were exacerbated when a previous opponent withdrew from a match after just 46 seconds, citing health concerns due to the strength of Khelif's punches.

In response to the controversy, Khelif has maintained her composure, stating that winning the gold medal is the "best response" to her critics. Addressing the issue directly, she told reporters, "I'm fully qualified to take part in this competition. I'm a woman like any other woman. I was born as a woman, I live as a woman, and I am qualified." Her words reflect both her frustration and her determination to silence the doubts that have been cast over her victory.

The controversy surrounding Khelif is not entirely new. Last year, she, along with a Taiwanese boxer, was banned from the world championships by the International Boxing Association (IBA) after failing gender eligibility tests. The tests raised questions about whether Khelif should be allowed to compete in women’s events. However, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) criticized the IBA’s decision, calling it "sudden and arbitrary" and claiming that the tests were deeply flawed.

The IBA itself has faced significant challenges, including its suspension by the IOC due to governance issues, alleged corruption, and ties to Russia. This broader context adds another layer of complexity to Khelif’s situation, as the institutions responsible for overseeing boxing are themselves under scrutiny.

Credit: Sky News  2024-08-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

Critics have suggested that Khelif might have elevated testosterone levels, potentially giving her an unfair advantage and posing a danger to her opponents. These concerns were exacerbated when a previous opponent withdrew from a match after just 46 seconds, citing health concerns due to the strength of Khelif's punches.

I thought critics suggested "she" may have XY chromosomes, which would have given "her" a lifelong developmental advantage, regardless of how "she's" managing her testosterone level today.

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s definitely a pattern Jonny.

No amount of science or facts can get you off your pattern behavior.

Xy is male.

Hope you enjoyed seeing him smash up the women though.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It seems you are letting you imagination get the better of you again.

It seems your poker face could do with some work.

You're loving it. 

Female athletes work their whole lives to get beat up by a bloke and you think it's marvellous. Sad af.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You're loving it. 

Female athletes work their whole lives to get beat up by a bloke and you think it's marvellous. Sad af.

I’ll revise what I said above.

It longer seems you are letting your imagination run wild, you’ve just confirmed it.

Let’s have your evidence to back this unequivocal claim

you just made: 

Female athletes work their whole lives to get beat up by a bloke and you think it's marvellous.”

A quote from me to support that claim would do.

Go on Jonny, give it your best go.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You're loving it. 

I’m volunteering you to go pull a trump and grab her by the privates to prove your point,let us know the results if you live to tell the tail!!

23 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

When is a man not a man? It's obvious to anyone who doesn't fall for this woke BS!

When you born with a pussy and identify yourself as a girl because everyone have told you all your life, you are a girl! How could she think anything else? Now people tell her she got xy and are a man? How do you think you would react? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

When you born with a pussy and identify yourself as a girl because everyone have told you all your life, you are a girl! How could she think anything else? Now people tell her she got xy and are a man? How do you think you would react? 

That's the excuse, but it's BS. He is obviously a man. You can continue with this BS, but I don't have to accept it.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

That's the excuse, but it's BS. He is obviously a man. You can continue with this BS, but I don't have to accept it.

What is BS? What do you really know? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Khelif is a very brave WOMAN on and off the boxing ring. She's an inspiration to all people in the world who have been harassed and bullied by ignorant bigots.

Is she woman enough to foster a child?

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Shared a changing room have you?

If he didn't, he would allow the full inspection. 

All we have now is a xy chromosome, elevated testosterone levels, a disqualification from the boxing world championships based on failing the sex test, and a gold medal in beating up women following a political decision to allow him to compete by the Woke IOC.

Oh and he clearly looks like a bloke.

Hope you enjoyed the male on female violence though. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If he didn't, he would allow the full inspection. 

All we have now is a xy chromosome, elevated testosterone levels, a disqualification from the boxing world championships based on failing the sex test, and a gold medal in beating up women following a political decision to allow him to compete by the Woke IOC.

Oh and he clearly looks like a bloke.

Hope you enjoyed the male on female violence though. 

If s/he didn't what?

The person in question has been competing in women's boxing for years so either 1) s/he has been very good at disguising things up to now and/or 2) testing during this period has been sadly lacking (quite possible).

Try not to judge me by your low standards. I abhor male on female violence inside or outside the ring. However, given your comments I get the impression that you wouldn't be averse to a bit of 'trans bashing'.