UK Schools to Combat Fake News and Extremism in Curriculum Overhaul

Social Media

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

The UK is a constitutional monarchy. Not a republic.

With King Sultan Charles Philip Arthur George as figurative Chief of State? 🙂 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not really. Not when you consider the idea of observational learning. The suspect in the Southport was born and raised initially in Cardiff. An area of 73% white Welsh/British. He would have learnt the values of his peers and integrated.

It seems he has a mental condition. A condition that led to him being a recluse. He had no digital footprint.

Mental health issues don't discriminate. They can affect any creed, colour or religion. 

Poor thing.

Maybe you can bake him a cake and deliver it to him in jail.

Or maybe you could direct your empathy to the parents of the 3 slaughtered girls? Your choice.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Poor thing.

Maybe you can bake him a cake and deliver it to him in jail.

Or maybe you could direct your empathy to the parents of the 3 slaughtered girls? Your choice.

Not showing any empathy. You made that up. Just as you did the comment of yours I quoted

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

What are British values and how do they differ from Rwandan values?

I suspect you are trying to be controversial with that, or just baiting.

Just because they seem to have been ignored for many years behind a wave of woke culture imported from the ghettos of New York, it doesn't mean that British values have actually vanished.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You clearly know nothing about Rwanda.

Or Britain.

Oh, here we go - another expert. Except all you people can say is 'you know nothing.' 

Answer the question, oh wise one, what is British culture and how does it differ from this concept you have of 'British culture'?

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I suspect you are trying to be controversial with that, or just baiting.

No, I am merely trying to get some clarity while pricking the bubble of pomposity that comes when someone speaks of British values as if we are uniquely gifted in terms of culture and society. 

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just because they seem to have been ignored for many years behind a wave of woke culture imported from the ghettos of New York, it doesn't mean that British values have actually vanished.

Well they certainly seem elusive because nobody has been able to define them here yet. 

Maybe these are those 'British values' that people have been insisting set us apart from Rwandans. 

Polling restricted, I believe, to Manchester, but seemingly 1/3 of those polled think that violence and hostility towards immigrants is justified to make a political point. 

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

No, I am merely trying to get some clarity while pricking the bubble of pomposity that comes when someone speaks of British values as if we are uniquely gifted in terms of culture and society. 

Well they certainly seem elusive because nobody has been able to define them here yet. 

I could go into a long list, but I'll let Wikipedia take the time and save my fingers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom

Certainly, it was British culture that let Britons rule a large part of the world for a very long time, and IMO it was the loss of British culture in the WW1 trenches that saw Britain reduced to the sad sack it has become. Nevertheless, I'm sure it still lurks in unexpected places.

If I was to think of two words to sum up British culture it'd be Pax Britannica. You do know what Pax Britannica was, don't you?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Maybe these are those 'British values' that people have been insisting set us apart from Rwandans. 

Polling restricted, I believe, to Manchester, but seemingly 1/3 of those polled think that violence and hostility towards immigrants is justified to make a political point. 

No, those are just very angry people doing what very angry people do.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I could go into a long list, but I'll let Wikipedia take the time and save my fingers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom

Certainly, it was British culture that let Britons rule a large part of the world for a very long time, and IMO it was the loss of British culture in the WW1 trenches that saw Britain reduced to the sad sack it has become. Nevertheless, I'm sure it still lurks in unexpected places.

If I was to think of two words to sum up British culture it'd be Pax Britannica. You do know what Pax Britannica was, don't you?

No, I would prefer to hear your thoughts - but not about culture. That is not what was mentioned. British values are what are being discussed (or not), not culture. Those are distinctly different things.

24 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

No, I would prefer to hear your thoughts - but not about culture. That is not what was mentioned. British values are what are being discussed (or not), not culture. Those are distinctly different things.

Ah, I see I misunderstood. However, IMO British values originate in British culture, the culture that ruled a large part of the planet, and with some discrepancies tried to bring light to what they considered backward people. They were certainly preferable to the Spanish or the French.

British values- Hmmmmm. IMO they would be fairness, determination, a willingness to see the job through, endurance, fortitude, patriotism. Those familiar with the British in Antarctica and trench warfare in WW1 will be acquainted with British values.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Cultural values.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, I see I misunderstood. However, IMO British values originate in British culture, the culture that ruled a large part of the planet, and with some discrepancies tried to bring light to what they considered backward people. They were certainly preferable to the Spanish or the French.

British values- Hmmmmm. IMO they would be fairness, determination, a willingness to see the job through, endurance, fortitude, patriotism. Those familiar with the British in Antarctica and trench warfare in WW1 will be acquainted with British values.

I think you could definitely ascribe those values to many British people, both famous and those unknown beyond their own circles. 

But I think that they could equally be applied to countless numbers from other countries. Because none of them are uniquely British.

What they are, however, are values that most people would claim to possess (rightly or wrongly), and most would hope to demonstrate - some of the traits of a good, honest soul. 

So I would say that there are no distinctly British values, but there are the values of a decent human being. And Rwandan people are no less likely to possess those values. 

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

when they are not killing each other with machetes, perhaps.

Sociologists have long studied mass hysteria and how rapidly seemingly decent people can descend into an uncontrollable mass violence - what happened in Rwanda is an extreme version of that. But it was not a unique situation and it will probably happen again in some other country in the future, to some lesser or greater extent. It almost happened in Washington DC 4 years ago...

All sounds great until you learn that a load of lying politicians, bureaucrats and businessmen will be the ones establishing what truth is and what fake is. A spoiler: they will tell you the Truth is what they say but will not tell you that they get a payoff i.e it enhances them in some way, financially or reputationally, career wise. Fake will be whatever anyone says who challenges them. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Sociologists have long studied mass hysteria and how rapidly seemingly decent people can descend into an uncontrollable mass violence

Apparently though mass hysteria is not a scientific phenomenon when talking about the Covidiocy Plandemic  on this here "discussion forum"

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

It almost happened in Washington DC 4 years ago...

Seriously, you think that the entire country was in danger of civil war because a few people invaded congress? LOL.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously, you think that the entire country was in danger of civil war because a few people invaded congress? LOL.

I think that you are the one who doesn't understand. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps. There is a lot I don't understand about this Brave new world, but I'm pretty sure the US isn't about to go to war with itself any time soon.

Hypothetical, of course, but there are others who were closer to the action who see things differently. Thankfully we will never know how it would have played out if things went south. 

Former Oath Keeper: ‘We came very, very close to having a civil war kick off on Jan. 6’