Review of buy/sale contract property in UK by Lawyer in Bangkok

We are selling our property in the UK.  We have agreed the price.  The purchaser will come to Bangkok for the signing and to transfer the funds to our UK bank in our presence.   Prior to signing we will receive a copy of the contract.   We would wish to have that contract reviewed by a lawyer (appreciate no solicitors in Thailand.)  The purchaser will pay cash.   They are also known to us for many years.  I am too old to travel back the broken society of the UK.

We are therefore looking for a lawyer who will review the contract and to whom we can discuss any related matters in our presence.

I note that Siam-Legal might be a possibility but would like a choice

Many thanks

Why not just engage a UK lawyer, they could review contracts and sign on your behalf, save the purchaser a trip to Thailand . A UK lawyer will need to be engaged for final settlement, transfer of title etc, the other half of selling a property.

The chances of finding English speaking lawyers, familiar with UK property law and licensed to take care of UK affairs, would be very remote.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Agree 1

Gentlemen,  I have it all wrong!  Apparently all I require is an English speaking lawyer to be present when The UK Land Registry Form TR1 (Transfer of Ownership) is signed.

I remember very well signing such a form in 2008 when I divorced my ex.  She then paid me 50% and we went our different ways.

So just need find a lawyer who will not charge the earth and can speak and understand English.

You will need to engage a lawyer in the UK anyway to handle the whole conveyancing process.  You can't DIY this.  The buyer will have their own lawyer and you need a lawyer to handle their queries.  It's not just the TR1 there are various forms that require your completion and you must have a lawyer assist you.  As an aside, you will be asked to complete a property info pack and there will be a series of questions about existence of knotweed etc, put I 'don't know' to every single one of those.  If you need assistance completing the TR1 just ask for a video call.  If you're signing overseas a lawyer does not need to present; I've signed loads of these from overseas; they just go to the Land Registry and you don't state where you are when they are signed, you just need a witness and that can be anyone, not necessarily a lawyer, it could just be a next door neighbour!

• Agree 1