Name your favourite Thai bank. Mine is UOB.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That's why I don't use them, My immigration office insist ALL docs. must be same day, I wonder why BKB take so long ?  As said Krungsri take 20min max. 

Never had any problem from my IO giving them my week-old Bkk Bank statements, and up to date letters and bank books. 

One account has Bht 420,000, and the other shows Bht 35,000 per month from Wise. Total = Bht 840,000. Combination.

40 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I use BKB for sending money then transfer it to Krungsri, they take max 20min for my annual letter and statement, not days, my IO require everything to be dated same day.

my bkb takes about 15 minutes... but im there as soon as it opens

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I use BKB for sending money then transfer it to Krungsri, they take max 20min for my annual letter and statement, not days, my IO require everything to be dated same day.

Do they not ask where the money in Krunsri comes from?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:31 PM, JohnnyBD said:

Citibank TH was my favorite. They didn't charge me any incoming wire fees, and I could convert USD in USD acct to THB acct online 24/7 without having to go into the bank. My Citi accts were transferred to UOB TH in April.

UOB TH is ok, all accts show up in app & online banking, but I cannot convert USD acct to THB acct online anymore. I have to go into bank to convert USD to THB acct, and the incoming wire fees are higher than other Thai banks, Bt500.

SCB is ok, but only 1 acct shows up in app. Joint acct & USD acct does not show up in app, and there's no online banking anymore. So, I have to keep track of Joint acct & USD acct balances with bank books. Also, have to go into bank to convert USD to THB acct, at least the incoming wire fees are less, min. Bt300 to Bt500 max.

I just recently opened accts with Bangkok Bank, and it will be my favorite once I get the USD acct set up on the app & online banking. I should be able to convert USD to THB acct online during bank hours without having to go into the bank, and the incoming wire fees are a little less, min. Bt200 to Bt500 max.

a question, please? - does Bualuang (bangkok bank) still have an online app which  you can use on your PC?   some additional background: I agree, as to SCB. I do use their mobile app. - which is great.  but one negative is, you cannot transfer funds TO Canada! (that stunned me a bit, maybe they don't like Trudeau?) . i also have accounts with several other banks. One of which is Bualuang (BBank). they have a good feature - they do allow transfers of Thai currency to Canada, online.

7 minutes ago, paddypower said:

a question, please? - does Bualuang (bangkok bank) still have an online app which  you can use on your PC?   some additional background: I agree, as to SCB. I do use their mobile app. - which is great.  but one negative is, you cannot transfer funds TO Canada! (that stunned me a bit, maybe they don't like Trudeau?) . i also have accounts with several other banks. One of which is Bualuang (BBank). they have a good feature - they do allow transfers of Thai currency to Canada, online.

Yes it does, we use it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 1:54 PM, KannikaP said:

Never had any problem from my IO giving them my week-old Bkk Bank statements, and up to date letters and bank books. 

One account has Bht 420,000, and the other shows Bht 35,000 per month from Wise. Total = Bht 840,000. Combination.

very curious with how you are treated, under those conditions. where is your IO.? my IO seems to freak out at anything other than a 800k cert, (+ for the first time this year, a 12 month detailed statement of the term deposit account ''in case i was cheating'' (ffs ! ) + all the other paper work, including 12 months savings account (more paranoia -'' to make sure i spend the money in Thailand''. if only they spend more of their time chasing down illegal non-resident Asian businesses/land holding cos. TIT 🙂

On 8/18/2024 at 2:54 PM, KannikaP said:

Do they not ask where the money in Krunsri comes from?

living in a smallish village (NST) my SCB branch needs a days notice of what I want. then, if i pop in at 8.30,  it's ready for me to take the trip to the IO in NST town, the same morning.

24 minutes ago, paddypower said:

very curious with how you are treated, under those conditions. where is your IO.? my IO seems to freak out at anything other than a 800k cert, (+ for the first time this year, a 12 month detailed statement of the term deposit account ''in case i was cheating'' (ffs ! ) + all the other paper work, including 12 months savings account (more paranoia -'' to make sure i spend the money in Thailand''. if only they spend more of their time chasing down illegal non-resident Asian businesses/land holding cos. TIT 🙂

Phitsanulok. Was doing 65k per month, but found it was too much, so IO suggested the Combo method.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

cant find bkk bank to compare with krungsri in this app

at atm's, krungsri always give me a poor rate. so far kasikorn SEEMS to be the best. bkk bank is also weak

Screenshot_20240822_134401_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20240822_134319_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20240822_134634_Brave.jpg

Edited by maesariang

On 8/12/2024 at 6:52 PM, advancebooking said:

I have accounts in numerous Thai banks. I recently opened up a account with UOB. 

The lass told me that I can use my card at any bank at any location in Thailand and no fees. Also can use the card in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore no fees. 

UOB recently bought out Citibank and both cards are in the app. 

Pink bank GSB would be my 2nd choice. All funds are govt' guaranteed. 1 million limit on all other Thai banks. I think Pink bank is a solid choice for all farang living here. 

Whats your fav bank?

In GSB does the mobile app and internet banking work for you?

23 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Do you answer yes or no to their exchange rate offer which includes a 5% fee? Always answer no.

i think you mean the option to use the bank conversion rate vs the other 'local rate. forgot the exact wording... i never had time to calculate as i am afraid the atm will gobble my card. i have tried to google an answer but nothing clear/'concise was found. so, as you say... i always choose no but i wonder if that is the right choice.

i tried to make sennse of the kasikorn website for currency exchange cos i believe their rate is the best. but their heading that has buy/sell is somewhat confusing.

you might have misunderstood my op about krungsri vs bkk bnk. i ALMOST never use bkk bnk atm. they are/were limited to 25k withdrawal whereas krungsri is 30k. about 2 years ago i switched to kasikorn as they seem to have a better, although insignificant change, in their exchange rate. 

i do find bkk bank for service is better than krungsri... but as you pointed out not xchange rate. 

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

i think you mean the option to use the bank conversion rate vs the other 'local rate. forgot the exact wording... i never had time to calculate as i am afraid the atm will gobble my card. i have tried to google an answer but nothing clear/'concise was found. so, as you say... i always choose no but i wonder if that is the right choice.

i tried to make sennse of the kasikorn website for currency exchange cos i believe their rate is the best. but their heading that has buy/sell is somewhat confusing.

you might have misunderstood my op about krungsri vs bkk bnk. i ALMOST never use bkk bnk atm. they are/were limited to 25k withdrawal whereas krungsri is 30k. about 2 years ago i switched to kasikorn as they seem to have a better, although insignificant change, in their exchange rate. 

i do find bkk bank for service is better than krungsri... but as you pointed out not xchange rate. 

Does Kasikorn give 20k or 30k limit? 

1 minute ago, maesariang said:

Does Kasikorn give 20k or 30k limit? 

cant tell you that. i only need about 5k pocket for 2 months. i have no rent/dont drink/dont smoke etc... and i use credit card for groceries and gas... sorry bout that... but do check

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/rate/pages/foreign-exchange.aspx

for the exchange rate. maybe you can make sense of their buying selling heading.

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

cant tell you that. i only need about 5k pocket for 2 months. i have no rent/dont drink/dont smoke etc... and i use credit card for groceries and gas... sorry bout that... but do check

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/rate/pages/foreign-exchange.aspx

for the exchange rate. maybe you can make sense of their buying selling heading.

Their rates are ok. I only use Krungsri cause they give 30k.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2024 at 12:09 PM, jaywalker2 said:

You people enjoy arguing semantics. Citibank Thailand was not a "branch" of Citibank New York except in the most narrow sense -- in the way that the BOT defines a branch, i.e., a foreign entity allowed only one office in Thailand.  Otherwise, it was an independent from Citibank NA under the juridisction of the Bank of Thailand and did not offer joint services with Citibank NA. It was for the purposes of regulation considered an internationla bank, not a Thai bank.

Mega banks are essentially holding companies so the results of their various international branches (whether called branches or subsidiaries or anything else) are consolidated  into their financial statements but the kind of relationship a foreign banking branch or subsidiary has with its parent bank is complex and subject to the rules and definitions of the host country. Simply saying a name, branch, subsidiary, affiliate, correspondent, whatever will not give a clear idea of how the bank is actually allowed to operate.

To sum up, Citibank NA was designated a branch by the BOT, it was allowed only one office in Thailand,  and it operated independently from  Citibank NA in terms of its banking operations but was included in its consolidated financial results and was subject to supervision from the head office.

If Citibank Thailand had gone bankrupt, depositers would only have been entitled to the compensation stipulated for Thai domestic banks unless the parent bank decided otherwise.

Good post.

I have an account with UOB in Malaysia, which I opened because I expected it to aid me in getting a UOB account in Singapore. UOB is HQ'd in Singapore. But after I had established a good 6 months with the Malaysian branch and I asked them to give me a reference or whatever to help open a UOB Singapore account they told me they couldn't, and being an account holder in Malaysia (even a Premier Customer) would in no way assist in getting a Singapore account.

Later, when I got a Thai LTR Visa I asked them to help me open a UOB Thai account I got the same answer. They have no links.

I also have HSBC accounts in multiple countries where I've lived or worked (not Thailand unfortunately - there is no HSBC retail banking in Thailand). HSBC  have a wonderful facility on their website/app called Global Banking which allows you to see your accounts in every country, and make instant cost free transfers between them.

That to me is fantastic.

BUT - try to get your 'relationship manager' in country A to talk to your RM in country B and you soon realise they may be CALLED HSBC, but they are different as chalk and cheese and have no formal contact system at Retail Banking level. If you are in country A and all hell is breaking loose in your country B HSBC account you will simply be told to contact your country B RM. Also - the websites/apps in the various HSBC countries are ALL different. No commonality, no standardisation.

The upshot of all this is I've learned that these 'global banks' are global in name only (at least at retail level) and only top Management have any commonality across their global networks. Country specific operations are like separate businesses.

Edited by Flyguy330

On 8/22/2024 at 10:50 AM, DrJoy said:

In GSB does the mobile app and internet banking work for you?

yes but sometimes it does have issues. If any error messages a trip back to the branch fixes it. They are all very helpful to me. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 8:28 PM, Stocky said:

I suspect it depends on where you live, I've never really had an issue with receiving my change. However, in popular tourist areas there's possibly a hope/expectation you'll let them keep the change, but I don't live in a city with many farang tourists.

I wouldn't expect a 10 Bht bus here to change a 1000Bht note, but they'll give change to 20, 50 or 100 and if I get Bht5,000 from the ATM buying goods in a shop or meal in a restaurant will generate the change I need. I've never thought to take Bht400 from the ATM to get Bh100 notes.

Obviously needs must wherever it is you live, but it's not a problem I've encountered, so never given it thought until now.

Yes it depends where you live. If you live In Thailand, most people don’t have charge for 1000 baht notes. “Never had a problem getting change?” I don’t think there’s any other possibility except you are lying. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Everyman said:

Yes it depends where you live. If you live In Thailand, most people don’t have charge for 1000 baht notes. “Never had a problem getting change?” I don’t think there’s any other possibility except you are lying. 

I'm not in the habit of lying, I'm just properly organised. Any 7-Eleven will take a 1000Bht note, I'm not stupid enough to expect a foodstall or tuk tuk driver to have change for a large denomination note, so I don't try.

You really don't need to be traipsing to an ATM thrice daily to get a supply of 100 Baht notes.

Edited by Stocky

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

I'm not in the habit of lying, I'm just properly organised. Any 7-Eleven will take a 1000Bht note, I'm not stupid enough to expect a foodstall or tuk tuk driver to have change for a large denomination note, so I don't try.

You really don't need to be traipsing to an ATM thrice daily to get a supply of 100 Baht notes.

I interpreted your comment to mean they you are spending 1000 baht notes everywhere you like and they all have change. Which is just impossible. 

I use the 7-11 method too when i forget to take out small denominations or i was 

in a hurry. 

26 minutes ago, Everyman said:

I interpreted your comment to mean they you are spending 1000 baht notes everywhere you like and they all have change. Which is just impossible. 

I use the 7-11 method too when i forget to take out small denominations or i was 

in a hurry. 

Sorry you misunderstood, I thought I was quite clear when I said in the earlier post:

"I wouldn't expect a 10 Bht bus here to change a 1000Bht note, but they'll give change to 20, 50 or 100, and if I get Bht5,000 from the ATM, buying goods in a shop, or meal in a restaurant, will generate the change I need."

59 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

Where is this written? The mobile app MyMo is also in english.

Other than that it is in English, does it work for you? I mean, were you able to register  for the mobile app as a foreigner, after the changes happened earlier this year?

4 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Other than that it is in English, does it work for you? I mean, were you able to register  for the mobile app as a foreigner, after the changes happened earlier this year?

I will try to apply for it next month in Bangkok.