Bangok condo owner’s 120,000 baht bill for trashed rental - video

snoop1130

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not Condoning the mess but really, 120 k to bag all her stuff up ? and a clean, and some of it sellable,  I didn't see anything that needs 'Renovating'

Agreed... the condo was not equipped with expensive furniture and fittings; just look at the fridge. I would say 20k baht at the most.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

trashed_cleanup.jpg

A Bangkok condo owner shared his experience after discovering a rented room in a deplorable state, leading to renovation costs exceeding 100,000 baht. The tenant, a PR woman, left the room in such a condition that it appeared someone had died, with black water leaking and a foul smell permeating the space.

Around 2pm yesterday, August 13, the 43 year old condo owner, Payungsak, described his shock to an online news outlet after the condo management informed him of the situation. Initially, he feared a crime had occurred due to the state of the room.

Payungsak has been in the condominium rental business for a long time. The woman rented the condo in Sukhumvit 103 through a housekeeper, signing a one-year lease. Despite the lease ending, she hadn’t communicated whether she intended to renew it. The tenant occasionally paid rent, though payments became increasingly sporadic. Their interactions were limited to rent payment confirmations via LINE.

On June 17, the condominium’s management contacted Payungsak, reporting water seeping from the rented room into the common areas, accompanied by a foul odour. Fearing the worst, he rushed to the condo, discovering water leaking from under the door.

Upon entering, he was appalled by the room’s state and the overpowering stench. The room was littered with trash, clothes, and food scraps. Despite the mess, paths were cleared through the debris suggesting the tenant had been returning to the room.

He found numerous high-value items, including branded goods and an iPhone 15 box, indicating recent use. The scene resembled a party aftermath, with evidence of drinking.

Payungsak contacted the tenant immediately on June 17, asking her to remove her belongings and discuss the damages. She evaded the request, sneaking in five days later to collect some items and then ceased communication.

A month later, in July, after partial renovations, Payungsak assessed the damage at 120,000 baht and informed the tenant. She only offered to pay 15,000 baht, claiming financial hardship due to unemployment, which contradicted her apparent lifestyle of using expensive branded items.

Deciding not to wait for the tenant’s payment, Payungsak funded the repairs himself, fearing further damage if left unattended. The renovation, completed in over two months, finished on Monday, August 12, readying the room for new tenants.

Payungsak, who had never encountered such an incident in his rental business, expressed his shock and concern for the condition of his other rental properties. Typically, he allows tenants their privacy without interference. He has consulted a lawyer to explore legal actions against the tenant, considering the extent of the damages and her refusal to pay.

He shared his story on social media to raise awareness and as a plea for the tenant to take responsibility. Payungsak emphasized the importance of mutual respect between landlords and tenants, urging those renting to be considerate, as such situations cause significant distress and financial burden.

The condo is now fully renovated and clean, with all issues resolved. Payungsak reassured potential tenants and neighbours that the room was safe and there was no crime involved.

By Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-14

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

"The woman rented the condo in Sukhumvit 103 through a housekeeper, signing a one-year lease." (Do I need to say anything?)

Gone are the days were as the landlord you would go round every week or month and collect your rent, we have some villas we rent out long term and part of the contract it includes a cleaner once a week that way she is our eyes and ears on the property, 

Especially here in Phuket we know what happens, some years ago a villa next door but one to us, got emptied everything they could get into a fortuna they took, 

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What I find amazing with situations like above is that someone must have (kind of) lived in that place.

There are half finished drinks, bottles of shampoo, food rests, and much more.

It's not that someone just dumped a couple of bags with trash. The things in that room added up over time with a drink here and a bottle there and some spilled food and this and that and whatever.

An hour and a few trash bags could have made a huge difference for whoever "lived" in that place.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't imagine how anyone can possibly live like that.

It might be interesting to trace the tenant and interview them - get their backstory. Who are they? How did it come to this? There's no alc or other chemicals apparent ...

Edited by BusyB
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the Condo owner should periodically check-up on rented properties with a house call...

When payments become 'sporadic' most certainly. Surprised the LL didn't react. Rental payment is the core of the contract.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't imagine how anyone can possibly live like that.

It might be interesting to trace the tenant and interview them - get their backstory. Who are they? How did it come to this? There's no alc or other chemicals apparent ...

I wouldn't be surprised if drugs are involved. And maybe they were smart enough not to leave (signs of) the drugs in the middle of the room.

• Like 1

I find this photo a little difficult to process:

It is stated that it is a "rented room". If it is only one room being rented then there doesn't seem to be a bed, no sink, no obvious signs of kitchen equipment and nowhere to shower.

To me, that photo doesn't show me that the tenant was incredibly untidy but that everything was just thrown in there. I think there are other parts of the accommodation that we can't see and maybe as a result of a separate dispute, the tenant decided to leave and get revenge!

On the face of it it looks like a disgusting tenant - but is there more to it?

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the Condo owner should periodically check-up on rented properties with a house call...

I cannot tell you the last time one of my landlords set foot inside a property I am renting. 

I would consider it an inconvenience and comply once or twice with adequate notice. if it happened even once unannounced, i would seriously consider moving. But then i pay my rent regularly.

That said, I have a holiday property, which is occupied 10 months year --  i use it for the other 2. 

My non-negotiable conditions include a weekly visit from a cleaner/property manager I employ. I provide the cleaning service, linens, etc but I also get eyes on the property and a warning should things go sideways. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

Agreed... the condo was not equipped with expensive furniture and fittings; just look at the fridge. I would say 20k baht at the most.

because you can replace an entire laminate floor for pennies, and in Thailand, laborers pay you for the privilege of something to do.

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

so you are inferring that what you see could be justified?

I thought somebody would ask me that!

Of course not!

I am one that believes sometimes people do things that are certainly not acceptable but they can be so genuinely upset or angry that they justify to themselves anything that might allow them a,  "now we are quits"

My original comment simply expresses a possibility that the photo looks more like a deliberate attempt to trash the room in one incident rather than it being a result of prolonged negligence. It matters not to me whether I am right or wrong.

I have 2 properties in Bangkok and one property in Pattaya where I'm living at the moment. They're not expensive properties but I do value them. So the 2 Bangkok properties are vacant now and won't be rented to anyone unless a personal friend recommends the tenant to me. Even that can fail, so I'm thinking about selling in the future. I had a school teacher from the US and and English teacher from the same nearby school who rented my properties for 15 years with no rent being owed or property damage, One even painted my town house. Unfortunately for me they both decided to return to their countries and now I've got no intentions renting to Thai people especially Thais from up north. Her indoors being from Isarn herself  told me the risk of letting a property to the people I mentioned is not worth the risk.

Funny that Pay***suck didn't even mention he evaded taxes for years. Shamelessly! 

Yet he "talk to lawyer"! 

What a good citizen. For years and years in TH I haven't heard single person pays even 100 THB from the profits he/she/it got from such lucrative passive income. 

I don't understand how a rental can get in the condition that one was in.   

I rented an efficiency apartment, in the U.S. of A., for several years while waiting for my security clearance to be completed (it took a while because I was married to a Thai woman) for the Federal Government job I was working at.  

When I was notified that I passed the background investigation and had my security clearance, my wife and I started looking for a house to buy.  We bought a house and I notified the manager of the apartment complex I was moving out. 

The apartment manager told me, we will check the apartment and after deducting for any painting and cleaning that needed to be done, I would receive the balance of my deposit back. 

Two weeks after moving out I received a check for the full amount of the deposit, which puzzled me.  I called the apartment manager and asked about it. 

He told me, I have never had a tenant leave an apartment in the same condition I rented it in.  We didn't have to paint or clean it.  We were able to rent it out a week after you moved out. 

For some posters, if you look close, the people living under bridges are called homeless.

It is not like they like living there, but do not have money to live anywhere else. Some of you expats

should really consider yourselves lucky to have enough money to live in Thailand. Maybe some of you posters are bots,

that have never even been to Thailand.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

For some posters, if you look close, the people living under bridges are called homeless.

It is not like they like living there, but do not have money to live anywhere else. Some of you expats

should really consider yourselves lucky to have enough money to live in Thailand. Maybe some of you posters are bots,

that have never even been to Thailand.

Where I walk early every morning I see many people who live in what you might describe as shanty towns. Some have much newer cars than I do and nearly all have paid TV. At evening they sit in a large group and drink heaps of booze. Some of those people you consider poor have no priorities. Many of their kids don't go to school because dad blows their meagre income on booze and fags.

• Agree 1

On 8/14/2024 at 5:28 PM, brianthainess said:

Not Condoning the mess but really, 120 k to bag all her stuff up ? and a clean, and some of it sellable,  I didn't see anything that needs 'Renovating'

easily, if he does it right and not thai style. black mold can be very dangerous and there seemed to be some execrations on the floor.

On 8/14/2024 at 5:34 PM, transam said:

I wonder what her boyfriend thinks...........😱

That's if she's got one.......😬

he prolly gave up on her... copulating on a bed like that... with an extension cord on it, as seen in video, is a fire hazard

On 8/14/2024 at 5:44 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

He has no authority to sell her belongings despite her owing him rent and restitution unless she has agreed to it.  Even so, I doubt that she would sue over the dirty junk she left behind.

"Payungsak contacted the tenant asking her to remove her belongings".

three choices here:

1 put it out on the sidewalk where the stuff will be pilfered

2 put it in storage... but who will pay? and will the landlord be compensated for the work involved in moving and storing the stuff?

3 sell and salvage what he can

honestly, which is the lesser of the 3 evils?

34 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

easily, if he does it right and not thai style. black mold can be very dangerous and there seemed to be some execrations on the floor.

he prolly gave up on her... copulating on a bed like that... with an extension cord on it, as seen in video, is a fire hazard

three choices here:

1 put it out on the sidewalk where the stuff will be pilfered

2 put it in storage... but who will pay? and will the landlord be compensated for the work involved in moving and storing the stuff?

3 sell and salvage what he can

honestly, which is the lesser of the 3 evils?

I wonder who's bright idea it was to put wood on a Condo floor ? Those flat pack kitchen units are about 2-3k each. Should use alloy ones. Edit; And Wallpaper really daft as a brush.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1