The Hidden Dangers of Parasites in Stored Salmon

23 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Interesting topic for me, because I eat sushi a lot, and always wondered, seeing it lie there unrefrigerated at Central, how they ensure this salmon is safe. But so far, though I ate it a lot, never had a single issue.

Traditionally, in Japan people only ate cooked salmon, since salmon can acquire parasites in Japanese rivers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placnx said:

Traditionally, in Japan people only ate cooked salmon, since salmon can acquire parasites in Japanese rivers.

In Central they have both the cooked and raw variety of Salmon sushi. I always eat the raw variety and never had any issue.

They must use some method to ensure this raw salmon is not spoiled, surely?

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Any protein I cook myself gets tested with a meat thermometer. 70 C minimum, using an air fryer.

So the conventional ways of cooking over the centuries isn't safe?

1 hour ago, stoutfella said:

Hasn't it been widely reported that farmed Norwegian salmon is some of the most toxic fish on the planet?

BS spread by competitors.

Norway is the largest exporter of salmon, followed by Sweden, Chile, Denmark, Canada and the UK. Main export markets of Norwegian salmon are the EU and the USA, especially the first one of which enforces strict food safety regulations.

Edited by AndreasHG
  • Agree 1

Norwegian salmon does have toxins, but these are below levels that scientists find of concern. However, if you eat too much of Norwegian salmon you could have adverse health effects.

"The contaminant levels in Norwegian farmed salmon have generally decreased between 1999 and 2011. Excluding other dietary sources, the levels of dioxins and dioxin-like PCBs in 2011 allowed consumption of up to 1.3 kg salmon per week to reach the tolerable weekly intake."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016041201400302X

53 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

In Central they have both the cooked and raw variety of Salmon sushi. I always eat the raw variety and never had any issue.

They must use some method to ensure this raw salmon is not spoiled, surely?

It is in the article...needs to be frozen at -35c or -20c (for different periods).

I've eaten a lot of raw sashimi, salmon, tuna, etc, never had any issues.

In Macro they sell frozen sashimi grade tuna (looks like small bricks), I get some from time to time, put it in the freezer for extra 10-15 days, and make sashimi with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2024 at 4:42 PM, snoop1130 said:

If you feel something moving in your mouth while eating salmon, stop eating it immediately.

Oh…I always thought the salmon was still alive when ate sashimi 

3 hours ago, AndreasHG said:

BS spread by competitors.

Norway is the largest exporter of salmon, followed by Sweden, Chile, Denmark, Canada and the UK. Main export markets of Norwegian salmon are the EU and the USA, especially the first one of which enforces strict food safety regulations.

We can choose which facts we believe.

• Like 1

I've order salmon from Paleo Robbie.  They claim it is wild caught - no farmed fish.  I always order enough to avoid shipping fees (to Pattaya) and then section the sides and vacuum seal and keep in freezer.  The catch is you will pay more but as they say: "up to you - it's your health".  Bye the way, it's also delicious.

14 hours ago, stoutfella said:

We can choose which facts we believe.

Why limit yourself to facts? You can live happily also when believing in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, especially when you have the brain of a seven-year-old child.

On 8/15/2024 at 10:02 PM, Lorry said:

Maybe a third-world country is not the best place to eat raw food?

Thailand has never been designated a Third World Country Switzerland has however.

Eating raw or semi-cooked food increases the possibility of contracting germs, bacteria, or parasites that are not destroyed by heat during cooking. 

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?    one second is raw and the next line is not destroyed by heat,  aka ...      if you eat it raw, it means not cooked

13 hours ago, AndreasHG said:

Why limit yourself to facts? You can live happily also when believing in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, especially when you have the brain of a seven-year-old child.

Why is it that people always resort to insults when they are losing an argument?

• Confused 1

I eat lots of sashimi. Salmon is one of my favourites with ponzu sauce and daikon. In 40 years of eating the stuff, I haven't had a problem. Like many other commenters I won't eat sushi/sashimi in a Thai restaurant, or sad to say, from the market where I see it out from 4 pm until 8 pm or so without refrigeration and loaded with mayonnaise. It makes me feel sick to see it sitting there. 

15 hours ago, john donson said:

Eating raw or semi-cooked food increases the possibility of contracting germs, bacteria, or parasites that are not destroyed by heat during cooking. 

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?    one second is raw and the next line is not destroyed by heat,  aka ...      if you eat it raw, it means not cooked

Humans are omnivores. We can cope with a few parasites or bacteria in our food. Indeed, It's good for the immune system. 

Wild Pacific salmon or farmed salmon? Just taste the difference! I purchased frozen farmed salmon in Thailand to try it. Once was enough. Can buy farmed salmon smoked and it tastes better but it's still a pig.

Rolling the dice .... sushi dinner.   Actually the shop is spotless, and sushi, small amount out at any time, sitting on chilled plate, I think.  Tasty stuff

image.png.b3c1232fabff1222f2b3899ec051b3b3.png

On 8/15/2024 at 11:53 PM, connda said:

I commercial fished for salmon in Washington and Oregon and have cleaned more salmon than I want to remember.
Wild salmon is a rich pink to orange.  Some species more than others.  "White?"  You have no idea what you're talking about, not even a little.  If you're blowing smoke - just don't - it makes you look stupid. 

farmed vs wild salmon with colour included. | Food, Salmon farming ...