Car accident advice

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
36 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolutely right, as the driver of the only moving vehicle involved, it's up to them to sort it out.

You don't have to be driving, I was parked and not even in my car, when somebody reversed at speed straight into the back of my car, the insurance guy came out on a Sunday mourning.

I know, in general, but I was referring the OP's case.

"...the insurance guy came out on a Sunday mourning".

Did your car die?!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did your car die?!

It's not a Hearse grammar policeman, get a life loopy.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did your car die?!

It's not a Hearse grammar policeman, get a life loopy.

Jesus...   A shame that you could not recognise the significance of the exclamation mark that suggested, perhaps, not 100% seriousness.  

• Haha 2

In my humble opinion:

The OP’s lady friend is at fault, she clipped the stationary bike that fell into the other car.

While the bike rider’s act of parking his bike in an unorthodox manner is annoying he is not to blame.

The son is seeing only baht signs and the op ‘s lady friend should have ignored him and called her insurance.

The bike rider is not interested, don’t even try to involve him.

While the son may have tried it on a little he is an innocent party sitting in his house when his car was hit, he deserves some compensation.

Conclusion:

Get your friend to contact her insurance or negotiate with the son a reasonable amount to cover the repair.

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I assume you are not Thai in which case it is better to keep out of it.

When friends are asked to assist, that's what they do, suffice to say, it costs me nothing to assist, if you wish to sit on the side lines when a Thai friend, if you have any, ask, then that is up to you.

Nationality has nothing to do when it comes to providing free advice that is asked for, suffice to say, I have a good handle on it as nothing further has happened, and if it does, will address it then.

He's out in the cold so to speak, no doubt having to lose face to Mummy & Daddy.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What you posted originally suggests that she was stationery when the bike parked.  Then she started moving.

"she put her right indicator on to exit the kerb and a motorbike cut in front of her to park the bike between her car and the car in front of us, the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb..."

It basically happened at the same time, her eyes were in the side mirror, she didn't even see the bike cut in front of her. I caught it at the last minute, but was too late to say anything.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You mean "the clown" whose parked car was hit by a parked bike pushed into it by "Coco" driving the car you were in?

You know if you were there and saw all unfold, you would understand, actually on 2nd thought, I doubt it as it takes someone with intelligence to foresee things, it's obviously above your pay grade.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What liability does the owner of the parked bike have?  His parked bike was knocked into the parked car by the idiot woman driver of her moving car!

Idiot woman driver of her moving car ?

Where do you get off, I came on this forum asking for advice, and yet here you are having a go at how many people, self included, get a grip of yourself will you, before I get banned for telling you to .... ...

Posted (edited)

MODS can close this topic if they like as I received advice from the regular down to earth posters, then the know all took over.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/17/2024 at 10:04 AM, steve187 said:

the driver should have called the insurance company to the scene, and you should have kept out of it, you have only complicated things by poking your nose in. i think it was your friends fault as you stated the bike was parked.

Who poked who's nose in it.

She is not out 4,000 baht (Ransom), nor is she 5,000 baht on excess.

Your entitled to your opinion, but your actions would have cost her 5,000 baht, not the best advice IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What liability does the owner of the parked bike have?  His parked bike was knocked into the parked car by the idiot woman driver of her moving car!

well he is obligated to report the incident as well..maybe he has contravened a regulation by parking too close (which seems to be the root cause). At least the Police can then look at what each party is saying and decide on their action.

• Agree 1

On 8/16/2024 at 12:38 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Anyone been in a similar situation or anyone thinking I am going the wrong way about this, i.e. with my advice to her ?

What's really irked me is his stubborn attitude and more than that him wanting her to apologise to his parents, which is ridiculous, accidents happen. 

This whole debacle has been painful to read. Whilst some of your advice may of been ok some of it was not and created a situation much worse.

1 - You have no dash cam and left the scene

2 - Trying to blame a motorcycle that was stationary It was hit through lack of judgement (distance)

3 - Now claiming your advice is good and he will lose face with no money ???

If he so choses he can again call the police and force their hand.

They will then tell you (not ask) to come to the station to address the situation. That is how things are done here as you should know if you reside here.

If you then refuse or not agree to the compensation it will then go through the insurance.

Your friends' insurance will increase next year and you will have wasted 2 days filling forms and going to the police station.

Whilst the son may of been an as@@@hole, rather than just trying to appease him when you were clearly in the wrong. you came over as domineering and interfering at the time which escalated matters.

Maybe you should pay the other 2000 baht which might of been excepted if not for you.

On 8/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I was a passenger in the car of a female friend the other day when she had a slight prang.

She pulled into the kerb and went into the shop to get something, as we were leaving, she put her right indicator on to exit the kerb and a motorbike cut in front of her to park the bike between her car and the car in front of us, the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb and the bike fell, with the bikes mirror scratching the back bumper of the other car, it was a minor scratch, no damage to the bike and the biker left after I picked it up, in other words he wasn't fussed and probably knew he was in the wrong.

The son of the owner of the car, said to the driver of the car I was in to come and apologise to her parents for hitting their car, I asked her to translate, which she did, I said, tell him you didn't hit their car, the illegally parked bike did, he said, to give him 4,000 baht to give to his parents for the damage and to apologise to them, again I asked her to translate, then told her to exchange details and give him her license details and that her insurance company will contact him, we then left.

Persistent he was, as he called her 5 minutes after we left and said that if she didn't return and apologise to his parents for the damage and offer 4,000 baht for the damage, he would go to the police, again, she translated for me, and I told her to tell him to go to the police, he added, he would charge her for 1,000 baht every day the car was off the road getting repaired....LOL and the bill would be 8,000 baht for the repair as his panel beater friend was texted a photo of the minor scratch caused by the bike. She then offered him 2,000 baht, and he said if she wasn't there in 5 minutes he would go to the cops, I said tell him to FO.

2 days later a cop called her and asked to her to come in, I told her to tell the cop that you won't be going in, and the idiot can send her a letter of demand with a quote and she will go through her 1st class insurance, but not before filing a police report about the bike that was illegally parked between the cars which she couldn't see because she was driving her pickup, and then the insurers can chase him. The cop said offer him something to sort it out, and she said she did offer him 2,000 baht, and the cop said, oh ok, then you sort it out with him as it's really a trivial matter.

Today she received 2 missed calls from him as I told her not to answer his calls, suffice to say he can GF and send her a letter of demand so she can put it through her insurer, but not before filing a police report about the bike as she has the bike's registration details.

Anyone been in a similar situation or anyone thinking I am going the wrong way about this, i.e. with my advice to her ?

What's really irked me is his stubborn attitude and more than that him wanting her to apologise to his parents, which is ridiculous, accidents happen. 

Just pay the little bit of money and stop your moaning. 

Some people here thrive on making their life more difficult than what it has to be. 

Avoiding the cops is a stupid thing to do, it makes you look guilty. 

If you are doing it tuff, struggling financially, start up a GoFundMe page 😂

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

a) Go back to the scene of the crime and together with the owner of the car visit a repair shop to get an estimate.

b) Decide whether to pay in cash or through the lady’s insurance.

Don’t blame the son, while his attitude might have been OTT he is the innocent party and deserves to have his car repaired FOC.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 11:38 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I was a passenger in the car of a female friend the other day when she had a slight prang.

Was the car registered in your name if not have  your female friend to deal with it.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, tandor said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

well he is obligated to report the incident as well..

Is he...by whom? Report to whom?  Which regulation obligates the bike owner to make that report?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Some people here thrive on making their life more difficult than what it has to be. 

You must be a lot of fun to hang around with, NOT.

The matter has now been resolved by the police, all parties met at the police station this morning, (bike rider) as well.

Police agreed that the motorcycle swerved in front of my friend while she was stationary and had her indicator on to pull out, police said bike should have stopped to allow her to exit the parking spot, and him enter it, as opposed to cutting in front of her while she was looking in the side mirror, thinking the bike went straight ahead, as did the other traffic.

Instead he showed no care, parking his bike right in front of her pick up, which in turn obstructed her view to see it, and as she moved forward (right), as planned to leave, when all was clear, she tipped his bike over which in turn scratched the cars bumper bar in front of her, as the bike fell over.

Owner of the car wanted 4,000 baht, police negotiated 2,000 baht from bike rider as he failed to notify the police of the accident, and 2,000 baht from my friend and the matter was resolved.

Sometimes you got to stick to your principals, albeit Thailand doesn't have any in most cases, but as I said earlier, some common sense prevails if you stick to your guns.

It's not about paying a bit more and stopping "my" moaning, I saved my friend 2,000 baht, or 3,000 baht if she went though her 1st class insurer.

Either way you look at it, 2,000 or 3,000 baht is a lot to a Thai, suffice to say, why should she have to pay the whole lot, when she clearly wasn't at fault, as stated in the police negotiations, he said, yes she hit the bike, but is a party to it, and she can, if she wishes to take the matter further and sue the bike owner for the 2,000 baht, but the time and court costs would outweigh doing it, so resolving it there today was a win/win/win for all concerned.

Also if she went through her 1st class insurer, her no claim bonus of 60% would be reduced.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, 4MyEgo said:

She pulled into the kerb and went into the shop to get something, as we were leaving, she put her right indicator on to exit the kerb and a motorbike cut in front of her to park the bike between her car and the car in front of us, the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb and the bike fell, with the bikes mirror scratching the back bumper of the other car, it was a minor scratch, no damage to the bike and the biker left after I picked it up, in other words he wasn't fussed and probably knew he was in the wrong.

The son of the owner of the car, said to the driver of the car I was in to come and apologise to her parents for hitting their car, I asked her to translate, which she did, I said, tell him you didn't hit their car, the illegally parked bike did, he said, to give him 4,000 baht to give to his parents for the damage and to apologise to them, again I asked her to translate, then told her to exchange details and give him her license details and that her insurance company will contact him, we then left.

Persistent he was, as he called her 5 minutes after we left and said that if she didn't return and apologise to his parents for the damage and offer 4,000 baht for the damage, he would go to the police, again, she translated for me, and I told her to tell him to go to the police, he added, he would charge her for 1,000 baht every day the car was off the road getting repaired....LOL and the bill would be 8,000 baht for the repair as his panel beater friend was texted a photo of the minor scratch caused by the bike. She then offered him 2,000 baht, and he said if she wasn't there in 5 minutes he would go to the cops, I said tell him to FO.

2 days later a cop called her and asked to her to come in, I told her to tell the cop that you won't be going in, and the idiot can send her a letter of demand with a quote and she will go through her 1st class insurance, but not before filing a police report about the bike that was illegally parked between the cars which she couldn't see because she was driving her pickup, and then the insurers can chase him. The cop said offer him something to sort it out, and she said she did offer him 2,000 baht, and the cop said, oh ok, then you sort it out with him as it's really a trivial matter.

Today she received 2 missed calls from him as I told her not to answer his calls, suffice to say he can GF and send her a letter of demand so she can put it through her insurer, but not before filing a police report about the bike as she has the bike's registration details.

You are wrong in blaming the biker, she was wrong.

• Confused 1

All sorted and lessons learned.

1.  Get the Police to organise a meeting of all parties together and negotiate a 'settlement'.

2.  Always have a working camera in the car on the dashboard/windscreen.

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Is he...by whom? Report to whom?  Which regulation obligates the bike owner to make that report?

i replied to you earlier..seems you have edited out most of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sometimes you got to stick to your principals, albeit Thailand doesn't have any in most cases, but as I said earlier, some common sense prevails if you stick to your guns.

It's not about paying a bit more and stopping "my" moaning, I saved my friend 2,000 baht, or 3,000 baht if she went though her 1st class insurer.

Looking forward to your next posting regarding the consequences.

Rocking the boat is not a good choice in Thailand. 

It was less than two hundred bucks. 

Life's too difficult without going out of your way to agitate others. 

That little bit of money, I'm a guy who prefers to stay under the radar. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2024 at 1:21 PM, brianthainess said:

You don't have to be driving, I was parked and not even in my car, when somebody reversed at speed straight into the back of my car, the insurance guy came out on a Sunday mourning.  

Surely nobody died?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 1:21 PM, brianthainess said:

You don't have to be driving, I was parked and not even in my car, when somebody reversed at speed straight into the back of my car, 

Crikey, you also annoy people outside of AN forums.

What did you do to upset this person? 

You got to be careful who you offend, people will use their vehicles to attack you. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Omg, OP asks for help then he nastily replies to members with aggression and hostility. 

I see that several offensive comments to members that OP posted have been removed. 

Good on these members for reporting them. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Omg, OP asks for help then he nastily replies to members with aggression and hostility. 

Have a read of your post to me, who's being nasty ?

On 8/19/2024 at 10:47 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are wrong in blaming the biker, she was wrong.

Cops said otherwise if you cared to read my latest post.

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The matter has now been resolved by the police, all parties met at the police station this morning, (bike rider) as well.

Police agreed that the motorcycle swerved in front of my friend while she was stationary and had her indicator on to pull out, police said bike should have stopped to allow her to exit the parking spot, and him enter it, as opposed to cutting in front of her while she was looking in the side mirror, thinking the bike went straight ahead, as did the other traffic.

Instead he showed no care, parking his bike right in front of her pick up, which in turn obstructed her view to see it, and as she moved forward (right), as planned to leave, when all was clear, she tipped his bike over which in turn scratched the cars bumper bar in front of her, as the bike fell over.

Owner of the car wanted 4,000 baht, police negotiated 2,000 baht from bike rider as he failed to notify the police of the accident, and 2,000 baht from my friend and the matter was resolved.

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Either way you look at it, 2,000 or 3,000 baht is a lot to a Thai, suffice to say, why should she have to pay the whole lot, when she clearly wasn't at fault, as stated in the police negotiations, he said, yes she hit the bike, but is a party to it, and she can, if she wishes to take the matter further and sue the bike owner for the 2,000 baht, but the time and court costs would outweigh doing it, so resolving it there today was a win/win/win for all concerned.

Go figure !

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have a read of your post to me, who's being nasty ?

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I see that several offensive comments to members that OP posted have been removed. 

Good on these members for reporting them. 

Several of your offensive comments have been removed, it appears you were reported by these members.

This is why I made the comment above, I knew that you would reply with hostility. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Looking forward to your next posting regarding the consequences.

Rocking the boat is not a good choice in Thailand. 

It was less than two hundred bucks. 

Life's too difficult without going out of your way to agitate others. 

That little bit of money, I'm a guy who prefers to stay under the radar. 

Not my money, she earns 10,000 baht a month, if it were me, would have paid the 4,000 baht and I'd be done with it, but like I said, her car, she is a friend, and I didn't go out of my way, been helping people all of my life.

I might even give her the 2,000 baht as a gift down the line.