Looking to buy a new SUV - any recommendations?

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the Sport is 2L, 2WD. 

I think I would have to see them all on the hoof to decide which one looked best. I saw a Platinum the other day in grey and thought it looked good. 

Motor sale/show at the BITEC 23 August, 23 to September 1 if you're in town. 

Ah, must be just the platinum that's full time all wheel drive.

I'm actually in Bangkok on the 22nd until 30th - so will check out the show - thank you.

7 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Someone here suggests that the Ford Everest drives like a BMW, when you then cite MuX, which I own myself, I regret to confess that it does not compare to that at all.

I never said it the Ford drove like a BMW, nor do I know that that means.

Personally, I would never buy this Isuzu again.

Did you not drive it before you bought it?  Like I said, I've had four, and they were all great. I bought the Fortuner 2nd gen, 2.8L TRD model) because my wife liked it. It's been fine, but it was something of a disappointment for the money after the Isuzu. But I still love the black and red leather. 

Don't know about Ford but the Izuzu MuX is built on the same chassis as the pick-up, the automatic transmission does not shift softly at all, it is and always will be a truck.

The Ford was on same platform but (I think) the gen 3 is on a new platform that the Ranger will be on in the next year or two. Fortuner is also on the same platform as the pickup. 

You should always drive before you buy. 

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the Sport is 2L, 2WD. 

I think I would have to see them all on the hoof to decide which one looked best. I saw a Platinum the other day in grey and thought it looked good. 

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The Fortuner is horrible, just a pick up truck with a lid and some seats. Nasty vehicle, and normally driven by nasty people - my personal opinion is that Fortuner drivers are the worst, most aggressive drivers on the road.

My friend has a last generation 5-cylinder Everest and I have borrowed it a few times - nasty, smelly, noisy, rattly. Another friend has the latest V6 Everest and it is miles better, it is quieter, better specced and is a much nicer place to sit - the interior is quite nice. However, compared to my XC40 it is still nasty, noisy, rattly, albeit much improved over the previous gen.

To the OP, absolutely DO NOT put a deposit down on a second hand car before you have viewed and driven it. There is so much choice just wait until you get here. Personally I would go EV but as you mention you will do long drives regularly maybe an EV is not right for you, but still worth considering as they are much better value for money. Phuket is good for a diesel SUV I guess although I personally loathe diesels. An Everest might be worth looking at, much better than a Fortuner, and infinitely better than a Pajero.

Why not consider a Volvo? You can buy second hand direct from them, comes with a warranty etc. XC90, four years old, 321 bhp, 50k kms, great spec, and a nice petrol turbo engine, and it is HUGE. 1.89m baht. Quiet, refined, fun, and a great interior spec.

They also have a low mileage (30k kms) XC40 which is a brilliant car (I am biased), although it seems expensive to me, you could get a brand new car for the same price. Anyway have a look, if you don't want EV go for petrol, who wants a smelly rattly diesel?

https://selekt.volvocars.co.th/en/home?sort=price:ASC&langChanged=1

if you're in town. 

I'm actually in Bangkok on the 22nd until 30th - so will check out the show - thank you.

14 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The Fortuner is horrible, just a pick up truck with a lid and some seats. Nasty vehicle, and normally driven by nasty people - my personal opinion is that Fortuner drivers are the worst, most aggressive drivers on the road.

My friend has a last generation 5-cylinder Everest and I have borrowed it a few times - nasty, smelly, noisy, rattly. Another friend has the latest V6 Everest and it is miles better, it is quieter, better specced and is a much nicer place to sit - the interior is quite nice. However, compared to my XC40 it is still nasty, noisy, rattly, albeit much improved over the previous gen.

To the OP, absolutely DO NOT put a deposit down on a second hand car before you have viewed and driven it. There is so much choice just wait until you get here. Personally I would go EV but as you mention you will do long drives regularly maybe an EV is not right for you, but still worth considering as they are much better value for money. Phuket is good for a diesel SUV I guess although I personally loathe diesels. An Everest might be worth looking at, much better than a Fortuner, and infinitely better than a Pajero.

Why not consider a Volvo? You can buy second hand direct from them, comes with a warranty etc. XC90, four years old, 321 bhp, 50k kms, great spec, and a nice petrol turbo engine, and it is HUGE. 1.89m baht. Quiet, refined, fun, and a great interior spec.

They also have a low mileage (30k kms) XC40 which is a brilliant car (I am biased), although it seems expensive to me, you could get a brand new car for the same price. Anyway have a look, if you don't want EV go for petrol, who wants a smelly rattly diesel?

https://selekt.volvocars.co.th/en/home?sort=price:ASC&langChanged=1

I'd definitely take a petrol volvo over anything I've mentioned so far, I just thought they were expensive new, however, if you can buy second hand direct from Volvo, then it's a no brainer.

9 minutes ago, Sophon said:

All very true, however you will not be able to get a certificate of residency from Immigration in Bangkok when on a tourist visa. 

Really?  Have they changed the rules?  Years ago I got one on Samui when I bought a motorbike...

I guess I'll have to come in on a spouse visa - I can get one then, right?

2 hours ago, fezza said:

Morning All.

I'm moving back to Thailand with the family (and the dog!) in a couple of months time.  I'm looking to buy a new SUV in Bangkok when I arrive and drive it down to Phuket (with the dog/cage, 6 suitcases, 2 kids)

I'm looking for something comfortable as we often do road trips around Thailand.  My budget is around 2 million.  My first consideration is a Fortuner GR Sport 4WD.

In the past I've owned a Mitsubishi Triton, Ford Everest and a CX-5 Turbo here in Thailand.  All great cars.  

I can buy the car on a tourist visa, if I remember correctly, I'd just need a certificate of resident from immigration?  Unless things have changed?

I'm also hoping it would be possible to pre-arrange the car with the dealer from abroad (paying a deposit) then when I arrive, pay the final amount and drive away with the car.

Thanks in advance,
Fezza.

One more point is that if buying second hand only buy certified from the manufacturer. Too many dodgy second hand car sellers in Thailand and you don't know what you are getting. I bought a second hand car once many many years ago and have only bought new since. But back then you couldn't buy certified second hand, now you can.

Volvo Selekt. 
Toyota Sure
Honda Certified
BMW Premium

etc etc

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fezza said:

I'd definitely take a petrol volvo over anything I've mentioned so far, I just thought they were expensive new, however, if you can buy second hand direct from Volvo, then it's a no brainer.

Yeah, they are expensive new (makes me feel a bit sick how much I paid for mine four years ago compared to what I could get for the same money today - Chinese EV), but there are some good second hand deals, worth a look anyway.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's nice the EV brigade is here to help...

I thought as soon as I saw the title that the Ev brigade/ parade would be along.

Babbling on about how their bygt seal or whatever its called can get to loei and back to Phuket in 2 full charges. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

I’ve got the Toyota cross GR Sport Hybrid  1.3 million  1.8 engine beautiful  vehicle to drive super fuel efficiency and super quiet go take a test drive

IMG_7240.jpeg

That is nice but did you miss the bit about all the luggage/kids/dogs.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't mind you quoting statistics, but I object when your intent is to mislead.

You are trying to make it look like people are turning away from EV's by comparing their sales in the year of a crash to their sales last year.

It's not right to suggest to forum members that EV sales are collapsing inferring that people are not buying them when the truth of the matter is every month their market share increases and every month the market share of legacy cars decreases.  For the last 6 months running EV adoption is an upward sloping graph.

Absolute Rubbish my posts are not misleading I simply posted the facts that EV sales are down for the period 1st February 2024 to 31st July 2024 compared to the same period last year

I am sure forum members can make their own minds up about the state of EV sales

We are all aware that the majority of EV brands have reduced their prices by as much as B340,000 

manufacturers reduce the price of their products for a number of reasons but its mainly oversupply and lack of demand

A number of EV's have stated they are against reducing prices and would prefer it comes to an end as soon as possible

I don't recall the Late Steve Jobs or the current Apple CEO Tim Cook going stating Hey Guys I know Apple sales are doing better than expect but I have a brilliant idea lets reduce the product price by 35%

What we do know is between 1st February 2024 to 31st July 2024 for the DLT category

R.Y. 1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people which doesnt include all cars as there are many cars including EV's that come under different DLT categories

The Total number of registrations including ev's are 257,760 the number of ev's within that number are 28,651

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, fezza said:

There is a thread here that Ford Thailand  is sold out until 2025

Ford Everest Platinum Sold Out This Year... Chances of waiting to get in early 2025

27 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Absolute Rubbish my posts are not misleading I simply posted the facts that EV sales are down for the period 1st February 2024 to 31st July 2024 compared to the same period last year

I am sure forum members can make their own minds up about the state of EV sales

We are all aware that the majority of EV brands have reduced their prices by as much as B340,000 

manufacturers reduce the price of their products for a number of reasons but its mainly oversupply and lack of demand

A number of EV's have stated they are against reducing prices and would prefer it comes to an end as soon as possible

I don't recall the Late Steve Jobs or the current Apple CEO Tim Cook going stating Hey Guys I know Apple sales are doing better than expect but I have a brilliant idea lets reduce the product price by 35%

What we do know is between 1st February 2024 to 31st July 2024 for the DLT category

R.Y. 1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people which doesnt include all cars as there are many cars including EV's that come under different DLT categories

The Total number of registrations including ev's are 257,760 the number of ev's within that number are 28,651

It's what you leave out that matters, you aim to mislead.  A lie in all but name.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It's what you leave out that matters, you aim to mislead.  A lie in all but name.

Only in your opinion 

And as stated

The Total number of registrations including ev's are 257,760 the number of ev's within that number are 28,651

So 229,109 people that registered there new car purchase under R.Y. 1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people chose ICE over EV as their preferred choice

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, fezza said:

Morning All.

I'm moving back to Thailand with the family (and the dog!) in a couple of months time.  I'm looking to buy a new SUV in Bangkok when I arrive and drive it down to Phuket (with the dog/cage, 6 suitcases, 2 kids)

I'm looking for something comfortable as we often do road trips around Thailand.  My budget is around 2 million.  My first consideration is a Fortuner GR Sport 4WD.

In the past I've owned a Mitsubishi Triton, Ford Everest and a CX-5 Turbo here in Thailand.  All great cars.  

I can buy the car on a tourist visa, if I remember correctly, I'd just need a certificate of resident from immigration?  Unless things have changed?

I'm also hoping it would be possible to pre-arrange the car with the dealer from abroad (paying a deposit) then when I arrive, pay the final amount and drive away with the car.

Thanks in advance,
Fezza.

Mitsubishi, service never heard any good about it  , that why I stick to Toyo 

3 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Vinny41 just ignore him

He does this to every thread and turns it into a EV thread.

I was asking about a sofa the other day and half expected him to start talking <deleted> about how good his bygt salmon is.

Not sure what a bygt salmon is but I don't have one 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fezza said:

Really?  Have they changed the rules?  Years ago I got one on Samui when I bought a motorbike...

I guess I'll have to come in on a spouse visa - I can get one then, right?

No, they haven't changed the rules but different Immigration offices have different requirements. In Bangkok they don't issue a certificate of residence unless you have done a 90 day report, which you can't do when on a tourist visa.

Mazda CX-8 might fit your needs--we sat in one and were impressed by how nice it was inside.  Spouse and I just booked a new BYD Sealion 6 SUV, a plug-in hybrid, which we were looking for.  Beautiful car, comfortable, and very nicely-equipped for a very reasonable price, less than 1MB.  But, Chinese and maybe a bit small for your needs. 

We wanted to buy another CR-V but were underwhelmed by it's supposedly 'new' but, in our opinion, very dated styling--should have been the 2020 model, not 2024.  And, no PHEV.   Plus, very pricey for the top model.  Good luck with your search.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Not sure what a bygt salmon is but I don't have one 

54 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I meant jbchiangrai

I don't have a bygt salmon either.

As you're such a pleasant chap kwak250, why don't you enlighten us?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, fezza said:

Can I ask what EV you drive?

To be fair, an EV would be perfect for short trips around Phuket.  My villa will have a high-end solar system, so charging the car will be very cheap.  

However we will also do lots of drives from Phuket to Bangkok and up to Petchabun, so really prefer petrol or diesel, or even a hybrid (Hence looking at the cr-v)

You got me thinking after reading your post / Everest 3L, so curious that I am, this may interest you.   Now that I see you're not as closed minded at I thought.

Happy Shopping