Fatal Accident Between Ice Truck & School Bus in Udon Thani

Georgealbert

IMG_4617.jpeg

Pictures from responders.

August 20, at approximately 07:20, the Nam Som branch of the Highway Police Rescue Unit in Udon Thani Province reported a serious road accident involving an ice truck and a school bus. The accident occurred on the outbound Nam Som-Ban Phue road, near the entrance to Nong Waeng Spring, located in Nong Waeng Subdistrict, Nam Som District, Udon Thani Province.

A white Isuzu D-Max ice truck collided with a school bus. The collision resulted in both injuries and fatalities, with one person trapped inside the vehicle.

The driver of the ice truck, a male approximately 30 years old, was declared dead at the scene. The driver of the school bus, a male approximately 40 years old, sustained a fractured right wrist and chest injuries, thanfully the bus was not carrying students at the time of the accident.

The Udon Thani Highway Police Rescue Unit quickly responded to the scene, deploying two rescue vehicles and an ambulance from Nam Som. Volunteer foundation teams assisted with rescue operations, using hydraulic cutting tools to extract the deceased from the wreckage and providing first aid to the injured. Traffic control measures were implemented to prevent secondary accidents in the area.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation by the local authorities.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

IMG_4615.jpeg

Looks like the ice truck was on the wrong side of the road FFS.

And if so, why did the bus driver not take evasive action.

Very confusing photo. What's the vehicle in the field to the left of the smashed ice truck, the back of which looks much closer in the second photo? And the bus on the road with a smashed front?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 3

I'm not suggesting this is the case here...  and I'm not providing links or stats to back up my assertions (that LL will naturally ask for)... 

...But, it seems to me that refrigerated lorries (food delivery trucks and ice lorries) are driven by lunatics in this country - the underlying thoughts for this is that these vehicles are not their own, and thus any damage is no concern of the drivers...  (only larger companies use trackers / tachometers etc)..

There is no incentive to drive responsibly... 

9 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

thanfully the bus was not carrying students at the time of the accident.

'Thankfully' indeed - for none of them would have been wearing seatbelts and we'd be reading of greater tragedy.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What's the vehicle in the field to the left of the smashed ice truck

That looks like the rest of the ice truck that has become detached from the chassis.

It looks like it has shot forwards from the impact and flattened the cab from behind.

If it was full of ice, it would have been very heavy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Looks like the ice truck was on the wrong side of the road FFS.

And if so, why did the bus driver not take evasive action.

If the ice truck was on the wrong side of the road (and I agree, it seems to be the case) he was probably overtaking. In which case there would have been no evasive action the bus driver could possibly have taken. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If the ice truck was on the wrong side of the road (and I agree, it seems to be the case) he was probably overtaking. In which case there would have been no evasive action the bus driver could possibly have taken. 

And probably the vehicle being overtaken just carried on regardless.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Ice van drivers....we have a lot around here.....drive like absolute maniacs......I think it's because the ice is melting.

I suspect that they are paid by the number of deliveries that they make (or the number of sacks that they sell).

Same as the water truck drivers and the cement truck drivers.

All driving like maniacs to make one more delivery before they finish for the day.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I suspect that they are paid by the number of deliveries that they make (or the number of sacks that they sell).

Same as the water truck drivers and the cement truck drivers.

All driving like maniacs to make one more delivery before they finish for the day.

I suspect this 'model' is the cause of many incidents here.... drivers rushing to keep up with demand...

Of course, the drivers are at fault, but ultimately the owners and management of such companies are accountable for having such policies in the first place. 

Safety First ???...  Bo!!ox... only when safety doesn't eat into profit.

• Agree 1