Need Recent Info on Vientiane 90-day Single Entry Spousal Visa Requirements

I recently told a friend that I’m planning to go to Vientiane at the end of the year to get my 90-day single-entry spousal visa which I plan to use for a 1 year extension. He told me not to bother because, according to him, they require 400k to apply for the visa. I mentioned that people on this forum said that's not the case, but he said his wife actually called the embassy, and they told her the 400k is needed. I’m not sure if there was some miscommunication—maybe they thought she was asking about the multiple-entry visa? In the end he ended up going to Savannakhet, which I really want to avoid since I don’t have time for a 13-hour bus ride each way. I’d much rather just fly. So could someone who's been to Vientiane or know anyone who's been recently confirm this please. 

34 minutes ago, KruAlastair said:

I recently told a friend that I’m planning to go to Vientiane at the end of the year to get my 90-day single-entry spousal visa which I plan to use for a 1 year extension

I don't quite follow. 

You mention planning to obtain subsequent 12 month extension.

For that you require 400k in bank for two months prior to application.

Why not just do a border bounce and reenter visa exempt and apply for non O and 2 months later the 12 month extension. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't quite follow. 

Why not just do a border bounce and reenter visa exempt and apply for non O and 2 months later the 12 month extension. 

well yes I could do that, but the point is, with regards to applying for the non-o single entry spousal in Vientiane; my friend told me I need 400k.  But I have heard you don't need to,  I thought this was only for multiple entry visas (and visa extensions at the IOs in Thailand).  So I just need some clarification on this.

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't quite follow. 

As his name is Kru (teacher), he won't be able to work with visa exempt.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

OP stated....

"I’m planning to go to Vientiane at the end of the year to get my 90-day single-entry spousal visa" 

He is married to thai it would seem

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KruAlastair said:

well yes I could do that, but the point is, with regards to applying for the non-o single entry spousal in Vientiane; my friend told me I need 400k.

You want a non O based on marriage + a 12 month extension.

Regardless of obtaining the non O in Vientiane or at thai immigration office, you will still require 400k in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months 

18 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He doesn't need to. He can go to immigration and obtain a non O from the visa exempt entry. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I made this profile about 11 years ago, I haven't been a teacher for about 6 years.  Please don't assume. 

Edited by KruAlastair

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He doesn't need to. He can go to immigration and obtain a non O from the visa exempt entry. 

You mean I can get a visa exempt, then get a non-o inside Thailand at my local IO?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP stated....

"I’m planning to go to Vientiane at the end of the year to get my 90-day single-entry spousal visa" 

He is married to thai it would seem

Correct.

This attached thread outlines process. Even easier now with visa exempt 60 days

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

I got a non-O single-entry 90-day marriage visa  in Vientiane last April and they did not require proof of funds.

Out of interest did you obtain a 12 month extension from the non O 

51 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I got a 60-day extension and intend to do the 12-month one after that.

Nothing wrong with that plan.

Fact is the OP can bounce and obtain 60 day VE can apply for 30 day extension+ 60 extension to visit wife etc etc. 

Or can obtain non O at any time at local immigration office. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Nothing wrong with that plan.

Fact is the OP can bounce and obtain 60 day VE can apply for 30 day extension+ 60 extension to visit wife etc etc. 

Or can obtain non O at any time at local immigration office. 

Indeed, since the 60-day VE came into play, more options are on the cards.

6 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Indeed, since the 60-day VE came into play, more options are on the cards.

For some folk without a Thai bank account it's useful to obtain the single entry non O outside of Thailand as it makes opening a Thai bank account possible without use of agent. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For some folk without a Thai bank account it's useful to obtain the single entry non O outside of Thailand as it makes opening a Thai bank account possible without use of agent. 

In some banks yes, the process is very smooth at Bangkok Bank with a single-entry, others such as SCB require the 12-month extension IME.

4 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

In some banks yes, the process is very smooth at Bangkok Bank with a single-entry, others such as SCB require the 12-month extension IME.

My experience little different.

BBL often still insist on certificate of residence. Not possible at CW without TM47.

Have assisted folk at Kasikorn  with non O.

SCB note do not have branch at CW .

While one of 3 banks that deal with 2mil limit transfers using WISE. 

Not best option imo

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My experience little different.

BBL often still insist on certificate of residence. Not possible at CW without TM47.

Have assisted folk at Kasikorn  with non O.

SCB note do not have branch at CW .

While one of 3 banks that deal with 2mil limit transfers using WISE. 

Not best option imo

Correct, BBL asked me for a residence certificate. I have had a Kasikorn account for 15 years but opened a second one last month on my single-entry non-O and got turned down at SCB. I can't speak for other banks.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I got a 60-day extension and intend to do the 12-month one after that.

So after your 60 day extension expires you plan to change to a non-o single entry spousal then get it extended after 90 days? All without every having to leave Thailand?

Edited by KruAlastair

5 minutes ago, KruAlastair said:

So after your 60 day extension expires you plan to change to a non-o single entry spousal then get it extended after 90 days? All without every having to leave Thailand?

I already have the non-O marriage visa, it was extended for 60 days and after that I will extend it for another 12 months, in both cases from within Thailand.

4 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I already have the non-O marriage visa, it was extended for 60 days and after that I will extend it for another 12 months, in both cases from within Thailand.

I had no idea that was even possible! So you got your Non-O in Vientiane in April this year without having to show the 400k, then extended it for 60 days. Now you're planning to extend it for a whole year. I thought you could only extend it once per entry to Thailand.

2 minutes ago, KruAlastair said:

I had no idea that was even possible! So you got your Non-O in Vientiane in April this year without having to show the 400k, then extended it for 60 days. Now you're planning to extend it for a whole year. I thought you could only extend it once per entry to Thailand.

That is correct.

14 minutes ago, KruAlastair said:

You only get one 60 day extension per entry, but you can still do yearly extensions.

• Agree 2