The Gold that glitters...

When even in non financial newspapers the price of Gold makes the headlines, a bit of caution is advisable.

Also: For decades, Gold was recommended as part of a portfolio (safe harbor, offsetting losses in other equities). Gold has a life of it's own, in the past as well as today. Especially today, as Gold follows other equities like a good dog follows his master.

So, the concept that Gold would "offset" the losses in an other playing field is in question.

Explainable by the current concept of eighter "risk on" (buy everything) or "risk off" (sell everything).

PS: If your life expenctancy is more the 10 years, this should not stop you from buying Gold. If your life expenctancy is less then 10 years, I recommend that you spend your money on "wine, women and song".:smile:

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, treetops said:

Are you the gammaglobulin of the finance threads?

Of course I am. I take my clues from gammaglobulin. Strongly supported by AI (artificial intelligence). It's practically my "home turf" here. I am quite sure that "your home turf" is rather located somewhere in the universe of "social media". You may want to stay there.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

You may want to stay there.

You may want to go there and leave the finance area for more knowledgable comment.  Just like gamma, nothing you have posted recently shows any real awareness of the subject.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, swissie said:

When even in non financial newspapers the price of Gold makes the headlines, a bit of caution is advisable.

Also: For decades, Gold was recommended as part of a portfolio (safe harbor, offsetting losses in other equities). Gold has a life of it's own, in the past as well as today. Especially today, as Gold follows other equities like a good dog follows his master.

So, the concept that Gold would "offset" the losses in an other playing field is in question.

Explainable by the current concept of eighter "risk on" (buy everything) or "risk off" (sell everything).

PS: If your life expenctancy is more the 10 years, this should not stop you from buying Gold. If your life expenctancy is less then 10 years, I recommend that you spend your money on "wine, women and song".:smile:

Gold is a rubbish investment

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, treetops said:

You may want to go there and leave the finance area for more knowledgable comment.  Just like gamma, nothing you have posted recently shows any real awareness of the subject.

I suppose you have read all of my posts. Not able to reach any "conclusions".

At any rate, I will not start any "ping pong" game with you concerning economics. Those "ping pong" games take place on "social media", a place where I am not present.

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

That's what they said in the summer of 2000. Gold costing 260 US $ per Oz.

What were Apple shares in 2000? 22c now over $200

Up 100x

Gold is up 9x

Edited by maesariang

16 minutes ago, maesariang said:

What were Apple shares in 2000?

How many "start-ups" from the year 2000 are still around? The Russell 2000 index (small caps) can't keep up with "new entries" versus companies that have to be "trown out", not fulfilling minimum requirements anymore.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

How many "start-ups" from the year 2000 are still around? The Russell 2000 index (small caps) can't keep up with "new entries" versus companies that have to be "trown out", not fulfilling minimum requirements anymore.

Founded in 1976

4 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Founded in 1976

Where is the rest having survived? Depending on statistics, the success rate on new "start-up's is dismal. Unless one is involved in "digitalisation". That's where the money is today. 100 years ago, mining and Railroads were the

place to be.

All others (fired employees from McDonalds) trying to re-invent the Hamburger have no chance to succeed. As well as some guys in Detroit trying to re-invent the automobile.

20 minutes ago, swissie said:

Where is the rest having survived? Depending on statistics, the success rate on new "start-up's is dismal. Unless one is involved in "digitalisation". That's where the money is today. 100 years ago, mining and Railroads were the

place to be.

All others (fired employees from McDonalds) trying to re-invent the Hamburger have no chance to succeed. As well as some guys in Detroit trying to re-invent the automobile.

AI I guess. Which one who knows.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Gold is not an investment. It's a currency hedge, which increases in value as governments print more money.

I have never lost money buying and selling gold. All one has to do is wait.

GO:D.png

I would put it another way.

Gold preserves purchasing power - nothing more, nothing less

9 hours ago, swissie said:

That's what they said in the summer of 2000. Gold costing 260 US $ per Oz.

Gold vs. S&P 500 — 5 years

Gold: $1,404 to $2,414 (+72%)

S&P 500: 3000 to 5590 (+86.3%)

Gold vs. S&P 500 — 20 years

Gold: $407 to $2,414 (+492.8%)

S&P 500: 1113 to 5590 (+402.3%)

Gold vs. S&P 500 — 40 years

Gold: $339 to $2,414 (+611.7%)

S&P 500: 151 to 5590 (+3,613%)

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, swissie said:

Those "ping pong" games take place on "social media", a place where I am not present.

I've got news for you.  Aseannow is a social media forum.

With that knowledge I hope you choose well.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, swissie said:

And when your doctor tells you that you're getting too old for so much wine, women and song, give up singing!

• Haha 2

On 8/24/2024 at 8:25 PM, swissie said:

It doesn't have "a life of its own". 
It's the most manipulated market in the world with bullion banks engaging in routine and massive naked short-selling of paper contracts on the COMEX to suppress the price on behalf of the Federal Reserve.
Gold ought to be well over $20,000 an ounce but if it was then the dollar would likely not exist as a reserve currency.

Gold is the anti-dollar
China is the world's largest producer and it doesn't export a single ounce. 
It's also one of, if not the, largest importer of gold too.

The Federal Reserve has repeatedly refused to allow an inventory of the 8,000 tons of gold it's supposed to hold in Fort Knox, most likely because it doesn't have it any more - it's mostly been leased out to help suppress the price. 

On 8/24/2024 at 8:25 PM, swissie said:

"All that glisters is not gold—
Often have you heard that told.
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold.
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscrolled
Fare you well. Your suit is cold."

~ The Prince of Morocco
(Merchant of Venice, Act II Scene 7 - William Shakespeare)

On 8/25/2024 at 2:21 AM, gamb00ler said:

Gold vs. S&P 500 — 5 years

Gold: $1,404 to $2,414 (+72%)

S&P 500: 3000 to 5590 (+86.3%)

Gold vs. S&P 500 — 20 years

Gold: $407 to $2,414 (+492.8%)

S&P 500: 1113 to 5590 (+402.3%)

Gold vs. S&P 500 — 40 years

Gold: $339 to $2,414 (+611.7%)

S&P 500: 151 to 5590 (+3,613%)

Don't know if the quoted Gold prices include "carrying charges". Not producing any interest, but to store Gold costs money. Depending of the "mode of storage".

Probably the most expensive way to "store" Gold is a long position in futures contracts. There, the carrying charge currently is almost 7% per year.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, Celsius said:

Gold, what is it good for

Every mobile phone or other electric gadgets have a little Gold inside. Other than that, Gold is useless.

Or is it? For the last 4000 years, Gold was accepted as "currency". Not sure if the $ or the swiss franc will be accepted as currency for the next 4000 years.

Humanity has understood that EVERYTHING is transient. Except for Gold and Diamonds. Therefore, humans are fascinated by something "that lasts forever".

- Give a girl a golden ring and see how her face lights up and her eyes are getting a bit moist.

That's the magic of Gold. Never gone out of style for 4000 years.

On 8/27/2024 at 11:49 AM, BuddyPish said:

It doesn't have "a life of its own". 
It's the most manipulated market in the world with bullion banks engaging in routine and massive naked short-selling of paper contracts on the COMEX to suppress the price on behalf of the Federal Reserve.
Gold ought to be well over $20,000 an ounce but if it was then the dollar would likely not exist as a reserve currency.

Gold is the anti-dollar
China is the world's largest producer and it doesn't export a single ounce. 
It's also one of, if not the, largest importer of gold too.

The Federal Reserve has repeatedly refused to allow an inventory of the 8,000 tons of gold it's supposed to hold in Fort Knox, most likely because it doesn't have it any more - it's mostly been leased out to help suppress the price. 

"Naked short selling" is common on all futures exchange products. The short sellers are the future buyers, as they will (sooner or later) have to buy back their "shorts". Therefore, only short term effects resulting from this practice.

When Richard Nixon detached the $ from Gold, I bought all of the Fort Knox Gold and stored it next to my wine cellar. In return, Richard Nixon accepted that I deliver him the same amount of Swiss Cheese to be stored in Fort Knox.:smile:

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

When Richard Nixon detached the $ from Gold, I bought all of the Fort Knox Gold and stored it next to my wine cellar. In return, Richard Nixon accepted that I deliver him the same amount of Swiss Cheese to be stored in Fort Knox.:smile:

I think there's some holes in your Swiss cheese story.