A question on sibling responsibilities'

Recently my GF's(30) brother(18) got in a motorbike wreck. he managed to damage a person's car and break a few of his bones. He is looking at potentially over 100k in medical bills. Since both parents are deceased is my GF legally and financially responsible for his debt if he isn't able to pay it off?  My understanding is that in Thailand your not a "adult" till you are 20. 

4 hours ago, earthscar said:

He is looking at potentially over 100k in medical bills

Did he go to a private hospital? Else he should be on the "gold card"/"30 baht" scheme.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, earthscar said:

Since both parents are deceased is my GF legally and financially responsible for his debt if he isn't able to pay it off? 

Of course she is not responsible for any costs he incurs.

5 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Did he go to a private hospital? Else he should be on the "gold card"/"30 baht" scheme.

No he went to public hospital but wasn't born in the city/province that he got injured in so my understanding is that he wont be able to take advantage of a reduced cost.

6 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Of course she is not responsible for any costs he incurs.

I'm curious about that. If a Thai citizen isn't considered a "adult" until the age of twenty, he is currently 18, then I would assume he has to have a guardian similar as you would for a child in the States. As the GF is the current oldest living member of his family my understanding was she is his Guardian and thus any penalties legal/financial would be her responsibility till he is 20. 

• Confused 1

Either way I think you might want to prepare yourself for the question “ can you lend (gift) him/me some money to help him/me out.

Edited by Utalk2mutt
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, earthscar said:

I'm curious about that. If a Thai citizen isn't considered a "adult" until the age of twenty, he is currently 18, then I would assume he has to have a guardian similar as you would for a child in the States. As the GF is the current oldest living member of his family my understanding was she is his Guardian and thus any penalties legal/financial would be her responsibility till he is 20. 

Sounds like something a Thai woman would tell you in order to extract money.

First 30kbht of any medical treatment from accident would be covered by their government minimum insurance.

If he's driving illegally, he deserves all he gets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Best not to worry too much about other people's brothers.

Let the Thais sort it out amongst themselves.

This is not your business.

this is absolutely correct .....  let them sort it out whatever way they see fit ....  don't get involved.

5 hours ago, earthscar said:

No he went to public hospital but wasn't born in the city/province that he got injured in so my understanding is that he wont be able to take advantage of a reduced cost.

Check for 2 reasons, 1 it was an accident and 2 they were rolling out that you could use any govt hospital.

5 hours ago, earthscar said:

Guardians are appointed by the court, time to find out who his is.

On 8/26/2024 at 7:40 AM, BritManToo said:

First 30kbht of any medical treatment from accident would be covered by their government minimum insurance.

i agree with that; in case of an accident or emergency, any government hospital must treat a thai citizen under the 30 baht scheme. 

is it possible that you’re being played?

• 2 weeks later...

If Bro cant pay sister will.....A friend of mine bailed out her drunk brother who crashed into a parked police car, she borrowed the 150,000 bail money and she was paying to off for several years as the case kept getting delayed, I asked her why she didnt let him rot in jail well in a more polite way she then says he has wife and kids, this is an adult pissed as a parrot behind the wheel and takes out a police car and sister foots the bill....Family bond is strong here.